1000 miles on my Electra Glide - GL1800Riders
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to montero1
1000 miles on my Electra Glide

Loving this bike. Never thought I'd own a Harley, but I'm hooked.

Cons-

Highbeam- mine may need to be adjusted, when I'm going downhill, or even on level ground for that matter, it just doesn't shoot out far enough. When I'm on a road out in the middle of nowhere, and there are no streetlights, it is dangerous, particularly when there are turns and hills involved.

How on earth, in the year 2017, is there no kickstand kill switch?

Filling with gas. Too many gas stations in my area make it impossible to fill it without making a mess. I have to wrap paper towels around the nozzle to keep it from splashing all over, seems like from the opening to the bottom of the tank is too shallow.

Didn't come with a center stand. Ridiculous.

Why is there no temp gauge, but there is a voltmeter? Doesn't make sense to me.

Pros-

Brakes- Awesome. You wouldn't know this was a 900 lb bike, blows the Wing away (and that's about the only thing, lol).
Handling. I feel no need to upgrade the suspension. I've been flicking this thing around like a sport bike on the twisties. Never once bottomed out, never feels unstable, even with the MT on the back. Incidentally, it doesn't feel unstable with a MT on gravel. Was in the Twisties yesterday, shocked some guys on sportbikes.

Luggage- Love the way the side bags open from the top and the top bag opens from the side.

Info center and Navigation- easy to use, easy to read.

Stereo- just as good as the Wing.

Heated Hand grips- Love em. Wish I had 'em on the Wing.

Exhaust- perfect note, not too loud, not too quiet. No need for upgrade.

Windshield- perfect height for me, all in all, very happy with the whole front fairing, and wind protection.

Dealership Network- not just the network, but you know Harley has AWESOME dealerships. My local Dealer, Battlefield Harley in Gettysburg, PA, is very well done, with lots of helpful, friendly people. You could just go there for the day and hang out. Gobs of aftermarket stuff there, no need to order. If I had to have them do some repair work, or maintenance, I feel fully comfortable that they would get it right. Can't say that if I brought the Wing in for anything at the average Honda dealer. Seems they're all about sport bikes and ATVs anymore.

Transmission and shifting- LOVE THE 6TH GEAR. Neutral is tricky to find, but I imagine that will get better as it breaks in.... shifts pretty smooth, love having floorboards as well.

Motor/Power- is what it is, not going to be drag racing it, but it isn't a dog either. Plenty of power to go 2 up, though there is some need for downshifting at times, unlike the Wing where it has gobs of power. Been getting 39 mpg with aggressive riding, no highway. Wing routinely gets 42mpg.

Seat- Very comfortable, no need to upgrade, but I will get it recovered by a local upholstery guy, just for looks.

Very happy all in all, perfect compliment to my other bikes.

Up next? Moto Guzzi Audace was calling my name at the Bike show. Maybe some years down the road.

Double Darksider # 417

Rear Avon AM 26 Road Rider.. 130/70/18 Front
Goodyear Excellence Run Flat ....195/55/R16 Rear

2008 GL1800
2013 VFR1200F
2013 V-Star 1300 Deluxe (Hers)
2016 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Last edited by montero1; 02-12-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Congrats!
Happy for you,and glad you like it.

2007 silver gl1800 premium audio
Darkside#748
kumho ecsta rf
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post

Cons-

Highbeam- mine may need to be adjusted, when I'm going downhill, or even on level ground for that matter, it just doesn't shoot out far enough. When I'm on a road out in the middle of nowhere, and there are no streetlights, it is dangerous, particularly when there are turns and hills involved.

JJ: That was concerning to me at first then got use to it. My Ultra Classic will drag kickstand if moved which lets me know to flip her up. Only done that one time.

Filling with gas. Too many gas stations in my area make it impossible to fill it without making a mess. I have to wrap paper towels around the nozzle to keep it from splashing all over, seems like from the opening to the bottom of the tank is too shallow.
JJ: Center stand helps.

JJ: That was the first accessory I put on my Harley Untra Classic. Much easier to fill up with gas on center stand.

Pros-

Brakes- Awesome. You wouldn't know this was a 900 lb bike, blows the Wing away (and that's about the only thing, lol).
Handling. I feel no need to upgrade the suspension. I've been flicking this thing around like a sport bike on the twisties. Never once bottomed out, never feels unstable, even with the MT on the back. Incidentally, it doesn't feel unstable with a MT on gravel. Was in the Twisties yesterday, shocked some guys on sportbikes.

Luggage- Love the way the side bags open from the top and the top bag opens from the side.

JJ: So is the inter-com and CB in my opinion.

JJ: One can make a Harley sound loud or not. I put Vance & Hines on mine.....ie medium rumble.

Windshield- perfect height for me, all in all, very happy with the whole front fairing, and wind protection.

Dealership Network- not just the network, but you know Harley has AWESOME dealerships. My local Dealer, Battlefield Harley in Gettysburg, PA, is very well done, with lots of helpful, friendly people. You could just go there for the day and hang out. Gobs of aftermarket stuff there, no need to order. If I had to have them do some repair work, or maintenance, I feel fully comfortable that they would get it right. Can't say that if I brought the Wing in for anything at the average Honda dealer. Seems they're all about sport bikes and ATVs anymore.
JJ: Unlike many Honda Dealers you are absolutely right about the Harley Dealer. Never been in one that I wasn't welcomed and shown the customer area to sit and sip a cola. When I bought the Ultra Classic they gave me a catolog with 500 pages of accessories and most accessories are at the dealers store.

Transmission and shifting- LOVE THE 6TH GEAR. Neutral is tricky to find, but I imagine that will get better as it breaks in.... shifts pretty smooth, love having floorboards as well.
JJ: I predict you will get tired of changing gears. One changes gears many many more times on the Ultra Classic than the the Wing. Never use 6th gear unless out on the road at 65 MPH plus.

Motor/Power- is what it is, not going to be drag racing it, but it isn't a dog either. Plenty of power to go 2 up, though there is some need for downshifting at times, unlike the Wing where it has gobs of power. Been getting 39 mpg with aggressive riding, no highway. Wing routinely gets 42mpg.
JJ: Agree it ain't no Ricky racer by any means, but fun to ride.

Seat- Very comfortable, no need to upgrade, but I will get it recovered by a local upholstery guy, just for looks.
JJ: I put a sheep-skin on my seat and it's all good.

Up next? Moto Guzzi Audace was calling my name at the Bike show. Maybe some years down the road.

I do enjoy riding the Ultra Classic, but the Wing is still the king. My co-rider has ridden with me on the Ultra Classic a few times, but she prefers the Wing and of course when we travel it is on the Wing for her comfort and enjoyment. I ride a lot of PGR Missions on the Ultra Classic. This is my first Harley and probably will be my last as my riding time is slowly passing into history.
larryinseattle likes this.

Jim Jackson
Smiths Station, AL
My week has 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday

Corbin Saddle: I like to feel that leather when I ride! '12 Wing, '11 Ultra Classic

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:05 PM

I sold my electra for another wing. Mirrors shaking at lights, couldn't see cars behind me. The HEAT from the exhaust. You may like that in northern states, but in Texas it's killer. I hated having to kick down a few gears to pass, I just flick my wrist on the wing. Lastly the wife said if I wanted her along, get another wing. lol
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 PM

I have had several girlfriends on my Wing and my Electra Ultra, they all say the same thing. Wing is better in every way but they want to ride the Harley. All in a name is guess, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post

Cons-

Pros-

Sounds like you're enjoying it, thanks for the comparo/review. I like reading reviews of different makes/brands of bikes, especially on here, cause they compare it to the wing. Everyone here knows what a wing rides like.

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Congrats nice bike and a good write up
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Member

"Incidentally, it doesn't feel unstable with a MT on gravel." PLEASE BE CAREFUL,
my love affair ended with gravel roads on my electra glide .I put a hole in the drive belt and limped to shop only to be told its 1100 bucks to pull primary and drop swing arm!! and then told "stay off them gravel roads " um I have a mile and half gravel/dirt road to get to my place in nh. HELLO DRIVE SHAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member

Does harley deal on their bikes at all? Never shopped for one
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spummerr View Post
Does harley deal on their bikes at all? Never shopped for one
From my experience and what others have told me, final price can vary greatly from one dealership to another.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page