Wing and Wife - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Quite a can-o-worms here, I'll tell ya.
My wife rode with me a few years and we've been coast-to-coast on a Harley. Riding never was a 'passion' with her like it was for me but she willingly went along. I bought a Wing about the time she needed spine surgery on her neck. From then on she couldn't Ride because she couldn't stand a helmet on her head. We don't Ride without the gear so she quit Riding with me.
I am fortunate she allows me to continue to Ride on my cross-country trips.

DARKSIDER #317
Tennessee Traveler # 15
Florida Prowler #85

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page

Whenever we safely Ride home we promise God a little something.

(quote attributed to
Tony...........Chicago
2001 Black 1800

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Seasoned Member

My wife has three brothers and two of them ride. We often go on group rides both local and out of state. Its a lot of family time and good socializing. We have a niece and nephew that accompany us also. We also like our solo rides from time to time. So I would say just mix it up. I usually preplan the rides with scheduled stops. Try to find points of interest for all. Its a little work but everybody seems to enjoy. I've been doing it long enough now that I kinda know everybody's likes and dislikes.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Seasoned Member

We live in upstate NY and my wife is good for tours around New England and the Northeast, but any trips of more than a day's ride are a problem. So like Steve and Mel above, we rely on flying her to the ride destination.

In 2015 that was Big Bend NP in TX. I did the nice 4 day solo trip down there, getting into the whole Motorcycling ZEN thing picking my wife up at the Midland, TX airport. I had a great ride down there and she arrived rested, relaxed and ready to ride. She loves riding, but just simply can't do the 600-800 miles days you need to get anywhere in this great country! After a wonderful week in the Big Bend area, I put her back on the plane and headed home using a different route through the TX Hill Country, LA, and northeast from there.

We've been doing it this way since 2000, and so far I've ridden to and through 46 of the states. My retirement trip (which can't come soon enough) will be OR, WA, and Alaska! I'll fly her into WA and take a few days getting up into Alaska. Works for us. Sometimes, I pick our destination based on economical flights that I see advertised. This year might be the Smokey's or Denver, haven't decided yet.
2WheelNut and Iamoldschool like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeff in Ferndale WA
When I bought my 02 in 02,my wife had only been on a motorcycle a few times.
I knew that leaving her at home while I took off riding would not work, so I did everything I could think of to make her comfortable in the back seat. Heated riding gear, pouches to hold whatever she wanted, headsets for communication.
It seemed to work. We've been on several vacations, and countless weekend rides.
I still get poked in the ribs if I scrape a peg...

Jeff in Ferndale,WA
White 04
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

My wife won't ride, but that's okay with both of us. She often encourages me to "go take a motorcycle ride!" She has her friends and hobbies which she enjoys and she knows the motorcycle is my therapy. She doesn't have to tell me twice.
Bluehighways likes this.

Jack
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamoldschool View Post
Please comment as to things you may have done to get your uninterested spouse to ride with you more.
I found spouse #2. This one likes riding so much, she got her own MC endorsement and now has her 1000 & 1500 mile Iron Butt runs under her belt - on a car tire, no less.
Iamoldschool likes this.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:46 PM
Seasoned Member

My wife will on occasion ride, but is very close to hating doing it.
She will say "go have a good time and see you when you get home."
If she wants to go, she knows she can just say the word and she can go.
It is an open unspoken invitation.
If she doesn't want to go, she doesn't.
Frankly since I know she doesn't like riding I just tell her I am going and the offer is open to her to ride if she wants.
I have found that when I used to "persuade" her to go, neither of us had a good time.
We don't do guilt trips or pressure each other to do anything that we know the other does not enjoy.
Doing so for us in the past has proven to be a mistake 100% if the time and both become miserable.

Doug

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Seasoned Member

My wife tolerated riding for 16 years, and just over 100K miles, but then she just stopped going. I really missed her presence on the back, and our conversations during the rides. My solution was to sell the bike. I bought a BMW M4 convertible, a 425 HP monster we now use to scream down the backroads of Texas, just like we did on the bikes we owned, top down and in the wind. Only now, she is perfectly content. I must admit, I do not miss the bike very much. No need to suit up in kevlar and press on a helmet. Just some sunscreen and a hat is fine. Much more comfortable, with lots of room for storage if we overnight or go for a weekend to the places we used to go. We are both much happier now, and it has been a great transition to life after motorcycling. It can be done! YMMV.

Last edited by hlothery; 02-14-2017 at 05:57 PM.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamoldschool View Post
I want to hear some comments from those of you that are married to a lady that doesn't enjoy riding. I very much enjoy my time on two wheels, but my wife, not so much. She will go with me, on occasion, when we have a group of three or so with at least one other spouse along. For her, it seems to be more of an opportunity to socialize than ride. I bought my Goldwing with an eye toward being able to ride more and travel on it, especially after I retire. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if that will be possible unless I choose to leave her behind, which is unlikely. I travel quite a bit with my job, so she is not unaccustomed to being home without me. We do still have a 24 year old daughter living at home, so they do things together and with my other daughter, grandson and son-in-law. I suppose I need to make more of an effort to find a group of couples to ride with and make new friends that ride. Maybe that would encourage her to ride more with me.

Please comment as to things you may have done to get your uninterested spouse to ride with you more.
I'm with you as my wife is the same, she doesn't really like to ride. Since I got my bike she has been on it twice. We did take a ride on some back roads to a restaurant with her girlfriends and their husbands on bikes and may be able to do short trips like that occasionally again. She liked the Sena 20 headset in her helmet and being able to talk and have her own music. I got mine to ride when I retire also but I also believe most trips will be solo. I would rather ride alone then have someone who is not enjoying their self or who is only doing it for me. She is happy staying at home and hearing about my ride when I get back so that works for both of us.
bbalzer and Iamoldschool like this.

2014 1800
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

I was riding since the first day my wife met me ( and 15 plus years earlier .) she rarely went with me back than . OUR first bike was a GS750L . She loved the backrest and the smooth ride of a back than bigger cruiser . We would ride after we got done tending bar till sunrise in the dead of summer . My not so secert to get her to ride more woth me is having a destination was key for her . I ride to ride , but she needs a destination . Like going out to eat , maybe a zoo, museum, arts and craft fairs , carnivals , or whatever she would like to do . Past few years the social aspect of the goldwing riders in Wi here has sucked her in faster than me eating at a buffet . She enjoys the other women of the group and considers them to be sisters . I am pretty lucky really as I still get to ride all by myself whenever I want and she is cool with that also. We have taken some seroiusly long trips togheter and that's the icing on the cake for me . Vacations on a bike , camping , and being with the woman I love at a campfire at sunset while looking at bike , it does not get any better than this .
So to summarize , try going places she enjoys on the bike , take shorter trips , and make it fun for her . Oh I should add get her whatever gear she is willing to wear to make her warm and dry as possible . It took me years to convince her to wear a jacket let alone riding boots , or heaven for kids gloves . Now the girl is all the gear al, the time with her seing way too many bike crashes . But we been riding together for 15 years or so .
Good luck and best wishes .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page