Wing and Wife - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Ah yes, well, in the final analysis: Happy Wife = Happy Life. LOL

As someone else mentioned; we went through getting: a Helmet (Shoei, RF1100), Jacket (First Gear, Kilimanjaro), Headsets (J&M 787 Elite), Gloves (Fox Creek), Boots (Harley-Davidson), Jeans (Sliders), Sun Glasses (Wiley-X), and a Neck Brace (EVS R4). But the bottom line was/is that she A.) Doesn't have the interest, and B.) Is a bit frightened by not having a shroud of metal surrounding her. Going on a ride is a once or twice a year thing and it's quite a "process" for her when she does. On the other hand, she is just fine with my passion. So in the end, it works!

Current Bikes:
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag

* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
My wife used to ride on the back of my 1976 CB 750 and then 91 CBR 1000F and always loved the adventure. She took the "Test Ride" back in 02 that got me to write the big check for my first Wing and was all in. Well, I made the mistake of taking her in 08 on a 2500 mile Smokies trip and she claims her back has never been the same. Since then I have been riding with 2 great friends on almost too many great mountain rides to count all solo. Some camping some not. Anyway needless to say I have become used to a life on the Wing without her. Ironically, I love the Wing one up as I can always throw my stuff on the back and head out. I mean how did I ever find room when she was with me?? We recently moved to SC and are closer to the mountains and she is starting to show a sight interest again. Honestly at this point it is me that is is reluctant.
Iamoldschool likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 Titanium ABS Airbag
Mega Monty - Heli Bars
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

My wife did not want to ride so I had my Vaquero. Enough trips meeting friends for breakfast or lunch rides, leaving her home alone she suddenly wanted to ride. The Vaquero was not comfortable to her so test rode a Gold Wing and now she goes just about every where.
Iamoldschool likes this.

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

2014 Audio comfort

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

I have right at 106,000 miles on my 2012 Wing now. Wife absolutely HATES riding through towns of any significant size or passing semi's on the interstate or extremely long days. She has gone with me on one Blue Ridge Parkway trip and endured an 800 + mile day coming home. Mainly because she wanted to make it through St Louis that evening rather than morning traffic
However, seeing all my pictures gets her a little jealous. She asked if she could ride along to Glockjock's RTE in April. That will be a couple of 500+ miles towing camper. I also planned to go back to Banff/Jasper again this year (went last year). This time she asked if there was anyway she could fly out/back and just ride with me there. We checked into that but after checking ticket prices etc. she suggested to ride out with me and fly back from Spokane, Washington. So, we have camping sites reserved in Banff and Jasper area and one way Southwest flight out of Spokane to Tulsa, OK. As odd as this may sound, I prefer going alone. Somewhat selfish on my part I suppose. I deal with a fairly stressful job and love my solitude. I have Sirius (for weather info) but hardly ever have any music on. I LOVE the quiet. By about the end of the second week, I'm ready to come home. Any of you that show up at Glockjock's better not repeat this to her
I enjoy the company but also like my solitude. She is a good woman and has never complained at all about me going alone. She has had both knees replaced and also feels really cramped on the back (I have a Utopia backrest). I may need to remove it to give her more room on the Canada trip. She is planning on 500-600 mile days for the 3 -3.5 days to get to Banff. (1,800 miles) She does takes short rides with me around home fairly often. I'm guessing she has maybe rode about 10,000 miles of the 100,000+ miles. It seems to work out pretty well for us.
Iamoldschool likes this.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Member

This thread make me realize just how lucky I am that my wife loves to ride. And even though she loves to ride, she is ok when I ride without her too. Best of both worlds, woot woot!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
USAF 1982 - 2008 Retired
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Thanks for all of the replies. Fact is, she doesn't really mind me going solo on a day ride or even taking a multi-day trip with friends. My main concern is after I retire and get the itch to travel more on the Wing. In the meantime, I will suggest taking the bike on shorter trips that she wants to take with me without insisting on it. Still have time, I think, for her to warm up to the bike more.

One of her issues is not feeling comfortable on two wheels. She claims she would be more comfortable on a trike, but I'm not ready to go there yet. Another issue she has is wearing proper riding gear. She outright refuses to wear any full face or modular helmet. I can barely get her to wear a 3/4 helmet. We also have Sena B/T on all helmets, which helps. I bought her a nice jacket and she has worn it once, with jeans and sandals. When she does ride with me, most of the time she wants to wear shorts and a sleeveless or short sleeve shirt. These facts alone make me worry when she does go. We all know that it's not a question of "if" but "when" you go down.

I guess I'll just take it one day at a time and see if she comes around. Eventually, I will probably end up on a trike or in a Corvette, but only when I am unable to handle the Goldwing. Until then, at least the miles on the Wing will add up slowly. It's a 2014 and only has 9K on it, mostly because I choose to go most places with her. I don't see that changing. Thanks again.

2014 Level 1 Black
DS#1662 Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55/16
Tennessee Traveler#423
2004 Victory Kingpin
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Member

I was riding before I met my Wife, so she didn't have a choice.

What if you buy a trailer and ride to all of the places that she could buy all kinds of junk to load it down with.
Red Wing One and Iamoldschool like this.

2010 Gold Wing 1970 HP383 'Cuda 2012 Harley FatBoy
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Seasoned Member

I was fortunate. My wife has always loved to ride (except one heavy crosswind day on the '88 Venture Royale). Only rule is we stay at a Hampton if available, but a hotel none-the-less - no camping, which is fine with me.

My son's wife is like your wife. He'll go for three or four days on a solo camping trip to the Hill Country and she'll stay at home.

I would buy the BMW M4 (actually I'd get the corvette) and "ride" like that.

----
Black 2008 Level 4 (ABS & Airbag)

Several previous bikes starting from pre-teen age, including an old 1982 GL1100 Aspencade.

post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm with Fender60 I'm lucky 9 out of 10 rides I'm 2up she loves it almost as much as I do. Mention Ride she is like a child first to bike with helmet. On a few occasions she has stood home because she was the only lady. But I agree with the guys that say that forcing the ride doesn't work. Group rides work really well the ladies get to socialize (yap) lol those of us that have a willing spouse are lucky.....
Iamoldschool and flat6bagger like this.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:00 AM

I've riding for 30 plus years, happily married for the last 4. My 2 cents...
Got off the FJR and on too a Goldwing. Comfort level solved.
No AGATT no ride... mother in law is now happier.
Confidence level improved.
I put my wife through the training coarse with like minded women.
Confidence level 99.9 %
Started with short trips to destination of her choice, let her make the plans.
Slowly increased the length of the trips.
Took a two up refresher coarse last spring.
Flew her out to Vancouver last fall and she did the 4500 Kl ride home!
Also introduced her to the group rides.
Guess who is planning the smoke mountains trip this year !
Slow & steady wins every time .
Iamoldschool likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page