Wing and Wife - Page 5 - GL1800Riders
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrunt View Post
36# is high IMHO for a RF. Mine is at 28 highway and 32 twisties... 36 will wear out the center... YMMV!

She will see a difference at 28. Drastic.
I don't understand how some guys just throw a number out there on tire pressure. Tire pressure should be directly related to load. Ask any tire manufacturer. If Nut weighs 180 and his wife weighs 120 that's three hundred pounds. You say 28#. OK I weigh 290 and my wife weighs 180. Think that "optimum" pressure works when you increase weight by 64%??? Not!! I run my Alpin on 40# and it wears flat and rides good.
flat6bagger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

went off topic.
disregard.

Doug

Last edited by flat6bagger; 02-16-2017 at 08:29 PM.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Darkside topics need to stay on Darkside board please. This thread has lead down a different path than topic . Some replies are about two different tires and their respective pressures . For Darkside info please see the Darkside board .
Thanks
Rail
flat6bagger likes this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I ride 90% solo and some of it is simply by design and some because of me. My wife is amazing, ( we all say that right?) but she really is. She never complains, makes friends easily, the guys seem to like her ( ahem). I ride short, long and multi day trips mainly without her but sometimes w friends and forum members here simply because we still have younger children. After a career in driving buses for NYC transit, and tractor trailers cross country, I'm comfortable that I'm about safety. AGATT. My wife, in the summer balks about the jacket and gloves etc. I don't ride w her under this situation because if anything were to happen, I would have a terrible time living with myself. Yes, riding in general, even with a suit of armor is still a risk. I get that. I struggle with what would happen if... She is fine with short, mid and some all day rides, but again it's me who doesn't want that on my head at this time in my life.

IBA# 60622
Prowler #1999
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

We do things together because we are married. My wife does not drive so we are together quite a bit, both car and motorcycle. I don't particularly like shopping and to her riding is probably not as exciting as it is to me but we share these times together simply because we are married.

I try to make her comfortable. I bought her some Kuryakyn Transformer floorboards, decent (and safe) riding gear, headsets (with my hearing they are almost useless above 60 mph) and the Kuryakyn rear airfoil. Some may ask if the rear airfoil works. I have never seen a wind tunnel test but I know she thinks it work and that is what is important. Funny thing was when she told me she was tired of her helmet buffeting around at freeway speed and she really wanted to make the point by grabbing my helmet and shaking it. I've asked several times (including a few minutes ago) if my wife wants armrests, she still doesn't want them.

She doesn't really complain when I ride semi fast on the twisted roads (see bottom picture, in fact as you can see she just enjoys the scenery). She can even read a book or do knitting on the back. I'm also fortunate that she can deal with a little cold too; when return from an event in New Jersey in Oct 2015 our first day started at 32 degrees and the second at 30 degrees. Pretty brave of my wife considering she is from Panama.

Alas, my wife now has bone spurs between C5 and C6 on the neck. Doctor has not strictly forbidden riding but says to limit riding. We now will pull a Toyhauler with the Goldwing in the back up to the mountains a couple times a year. This allows us to hold a more decent conversation, bring the dog, enjoy camping, etc.

BTW, the picture of us in our avatar is the two of us on Blueridge Parkway. Other pictures include beginning of Skyline drive (although on that day we couldn't ride it due to Government shutdown) and the other is on The Dragon (she says she does not want to ride The Dragon again but only because she thinks someone will come across the yellow at us...how nice of her to say it that way).

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything" ​Charles Kuralt

Last edited by biggersm; 02-16-2017 at 09:59 PM.
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

I wouldn't be ride today If my wife didn't enjoy it.. In her 250K plus mile she's been back there in every condition imaginable.. She gets the big trunk and knows if she can't get it in there it doesn't need to go..
My best friend, my best buddy, my wife, It wouldn't be the same without her............
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I have an interesting relationship with my wife and bike.

I've known my wife since high school, and back then, she was riding with me on the back of my CB750 or my Dad's fully dressed GL1000. Those were "exciting" times since her parents really didn't want her riding... and of course the rides were shorter distances for a date, or a "date" ride with 2WheelNut and his soon to be wife.

In college, I taught her how to ride herself using my GL500 Silverwing, and we kept a good riding relationship since that was my primary vehicle in college. Again though... short rides around town only.

In college, I traded my GL500 in for a 1991 Jeep Cherokee... which I still own today... and didn't own a touring bike for several years after that. Over 10 years ago... I bought a GL1500 on Craigslist and that started up the desire to take the bike further, and maybe recapture some of that nostalgia from riding with the girlfriend/wife back in the day. However, things haven't gone as planned.

She still enjoys the short rides... and the "date" night rides... but long distance touring just isn't really her thing. It's taken me 3 wings, and several comfort upgrades for the rear passenger to realize that. I've upgraded her seat to make her more comfortable, I've upgraded her helmet to be lighter and have less wind noise, I've added comfort foot pegs for her to stretch out, communications, music, cup holder, wind wings, full gear, and even bought her those cool Harley Davidson riding boots that she really liked. But... the reality is... her body just doesn't like long distance riding, and definitely not long days of riding in the twisties.

She wants to enjoy it... but her body just won't let her. She gets light headed, gets headaches easily from the wind noise and helmet, gets a bit "seasick" on the twisties, and ends up apologizing to me and any group we ride with anytime we've gone out. I admit... that's no fun when you always feel like you are the one dragging the group down.

Like 2WheelNut, we've done the whole "fly her out" thing, and that's about as best as I can hope to expect out of her. We do an annual Gatlinburg trip with the family and good friends and at least she will have folks to hang out with if she doesn't want to ride that day. If I take her on a leisurely color tour of the back-roads and mountains, then she will enjoy it... but if I take her on a spirited ride through the Dragon or Devil's Triangle, then I should expect to have to pull over for a while for her to recoup. So... we've learned to manage expectations a bit.

I'm heading up to Glacier with 2WheelNut and another buddy this June. We are flying the wives out... but their wives will be there for 6 days of riding, and mine will be there for only 3 (if she actually comes).

Riding to me is therapeutic. I get to the point sometimes that I just need to ride... any kind of ride. I just need the time on the open road with no other distractions and to enjoy the freedoms that riding allows. That said... I really, really wish I could share it more with my wife. But for now... I'll enjoy what riding time I can get with her, while I attempt to understand her body's limitations and work around them as much as possible to keep her a part of my riding life as long as she's willing.

She's the far left redhead in this pic. Also pictured are WhimpyHonda, Terry (next to wimpy), 2Wheelnut and his wife on far right.

Save
2WheelNut and GoingGrey like this.

Bob

2014 GL1800, 2009 GSXR750, 2006 GL1800, 2005 R6, 2002 YZF426

Last edited by GLFlyer; 02-17-2017 at 12:13 PM.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
Darkside topics need to stay on Darkside board please. This thread has lead down a different path than topic . Some replies are about two different tires and their respective pressures . For Darkside info please see the Darkside board .
Thanks
Rail
Rail, I guess that's what happens when us darksiders post about something interesting to others.

2014 Level 1 Black
DS#1662 Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55/16
Tennessee Traveler#423
2004 Victory Kingpin

Last edited by Iamoldschool; 02-17-2017 at 05:32 PM.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:27 PM

I can't leave the driveway without my wife grabbing her gear to spend time on the bike with me. We both enjoy the fun and adventure of going to new places either with friends or on our own and the freedom of hitting the road. Good weather or bad, long rides or short I seldom have to say more than should we go for a ride and the answer is always let's go!
Rail32 likes this.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFlyer View Post
I have an interesting relationship with my wife and bike.

I've known my wife since high school, and back then, she was riding with me on the back of my CB750 or my Dad's fully dressed GL1000. Those were "exciting" times since her parents really didn't want her riding... and of course the rides were shorter distances for a date, or a "date" ride with 2WheelNut and his soon to be wife.

In college, I taught her how to ride herself using my GL500 Silverwing, and we kept a good riding relationship since that was my primary vehicle in college. Again though... short rides around town only.

In college, I traded my GL500 in for a 1991 Jeep Cherokee... which I still own today... and didn't own a touring bike for several years after that. Over 10 years ago... I bought a GL1500 on Craigslist and that started up the desire to take the bike further, and maybe recapture some of that nostalgia from riding with the girlfriend/wife back in the day. However, things haven't gone as planned.

She still enjoys the short rides... and the "date" night rides... but long distance touring just isn't really her thing. It's taken me 3 wings, and several comfort upgrades for the rear passenger to realize that. I've upgraded her seat to make her more comfortable, I've upgraded her helmet to be lighter and have less wind noise, I've added comfort foot pegs for her to stretch out, communications, music, cup holder, wind wings, full gear, and even bought her those cool Harley Davidson riding boots that she really liked. But... the reality is... her body just doesn't like long distance riding, and definitely not long days of riding in the twisties.

She wants to enjoy it... but her body just won't let her. She gets light headed, gets headaches easily from the wind noise and helmet, gets a bit "seasick" on the twisties, and ends up apologizing to me and any group we ride with anytime we've gone out. I admit... that's no fun when you always feel like you are the one dragging the group down.

Like 2WheelNut, we've done the whole "fly her out" thing, and that's about as best as I can hope to expect out of her. We do an annual Gatlinburg trip with the family and good friends and at least she will have folks to hang out with if she doesn't want to ride that day. If I take her on a leisurely color tour of the back-roads and mountains, then she will enjoy it... but if I take her on a spirited ride through the Dragon or Devil's Triangle, then I should expect to have to pull over for a while for her to recoup. So... we've learned to manage expectations a bit.

I'm heading up to Glacier with 2WheelNut and another buddy this June. We are flying the wives out... but their wives will be there for 6 days of riding, and mine will be there for only 3 (if she actually comes).

Riding to me is therapeutic. I get to the point sometimes that I just need to ride... any kind of ride. I just need the time on the open road with no other distractions and to enjoy the freedoms that riding allows. That said... I really, really wish I could share it more with my wife. But for now... I'll enjoy what riding time I can get with her, while I attempt to understand her body's limitations and work around them as much as possible to keep her a part of my riding life as long as she's willing.

She's the far left redhead in this pic. Also pictured are WhimpyHonda, Terry (next to wimpy), 2Wheelnut and his wife on far right.

Save
Dang GL , she sure makes that old wing look a lot better. Hey , you know just be happy that you have what you have. As long as she don't mind you riding without her some then I say you got it better than a lot of guys. You always gotta find a rose in the middle of all them thorns. She's in there doing the best she can. That's gotta be enough.
GLFlyer and 2WheelNut like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page