Sena SM10 Audio Volume vs Freewire - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Seasoned Member
 
WAWingGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 338
I have been using the freewire for several months - here are my thoughts.

Volume Level - While the volume could be higher it is sufficient in most cases. I notice I have to run the bike level at about 15 to achieve sufficient volume - with the wired headsets I was good with 7-8 on the bike.

Using the Bike Intercom - While you can have one person using a 20s and one person using a wired headset, this configuration is really not usable. First, There is a delay that comes back to the person using the 20s that is really distracting - also, the volume level is totally mismatched in this configuration. The person using the wired headset is blasted and the person using the 20s can't hardly hear the person using the wired headset...

CB - I had Larry M from this forum work on my CB. He peaked the modulation in my CB. It seems that using the freewire to talk on the CB causes the CB to now be over modulated. I have not been able to spend much time looking at this problem as my CB was destroyed as the result of a fire I had on the bike.



IBA# 61064
WAWingGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
 
rej4449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, we might have a winner!

Yes! Noise on the SM10 aux input will suppress the main input volume. I ran into a similar problem on a ride with a guy who had a noisy mike (non-Sena). Any time I would put my intercom on it would suppress the signal I was getting from my SM10. That was an issue inside the 20S, though.
Thanks for all the suggestions and sorry that my explanation was not clear enough.

Sorry Big Bird, but no cigar. I have nothing hooked up to the aux input. I do not have an electrical noise problem. I hooked a 'scope up to the audio and it is very clean with the engine running and at any RPM. Please understand that I am a reasonably intelligent electrical engineer and have taken the steps long ago to identify the problem.

I completely forgot that last year I replaced the SM10 with a $30 Avantree A2DP bluetooth transmitter (the price has gone way up from when I bought it). Sound is really nice, but I still need the amplifier for the previous reason. I paired the Avantree with several headsets and all had the same low volume problem. To repeat the problem, the bluetooth transmitter works well, but only if I increase the volume enough to overdrive the speakers. Otherwise it is difficult to listen to my music over wind noise.

Hooking up a 6dB amplifier takes care of the volume problem, but as I previously stated, I don't like the spaghetti under my fairing pocket. It adds up to extra weight and more failure points.

It's looking like nobody has the Freewire yet or at least they are not responding. I'll keep this thread open for a bit longer in case someone shows up.
rej4449 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
 
rej4449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 638
An Answer! Yay!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAWingGuy View Post
I have been using the freewire for several months - here are my thoughts.

Volume Level - While the volume could be higher it is sufficient in most cases. I notice I have to run the bike level at about 15 to achieve sufficient volume - with the wired headsets I was good with 7-8 on the bike.

Using the Bike Intercom - While you can have one person using a 20s and one person using a wired headset, this configuration is really not usable. First, There is a delay that comes back to the person using the 20s that is really distracting - also, the volume level is totally mismatched in this configuration. The person using the wired headset is blasted and the person using the 20s can't hardly hear the person using the wired headset...

CB - I had Larry M from this forum work on my CB. He peaked the modulation in my CB. It seems that using the freewire to talk on the CB causes the CB to now be over modulated. I have not been able to spend much time looking at this problem as my CB was destroyed as the result of a fire I had on the bike.
WAWingGuy, thanks for your response. It is exactly what I was looking for. It came in while I was typing my previous response.

First, sorry for the fire damage. I would suggest replacing the CB with the BikeMP3 unit, but it is unclear whether they are still in business. Hopefully damage to the tupperware was minimal. Replacing electrical connectors will probably be the most difficult part of your repairs.

I would not ride 2-up with one person on a wired headset so that is not a problem. However, it is an important concern for others who may find themselves in that situation.

I can live with setting the volume at 15. That is a reasonable level to run the speakers at without excessive distortion. I would turn the volume up a bit more than that when I am in traffic, anyway.

Overmodulation on the CB is an indication that the audio output from the Freewire to the CB is too high. That can be resolved with two resistors making a voltage divider. But it would be nice if the Freewire did not require kludges to work properly. Perhaps Sena will address the problem in one of their updates.

This gives me a better picture of the Freewire's capabilities and limitations. Again, thank you for your response.

Bob
rej4449 is offline  
 
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Big_Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD near DC
Posts: 1,494
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rej4449 View Post
Sorry Big Bird, but no cigar. I have nothing hooked up to the aux input. I do not have an electrical noise problem. I hooked a 'scope up to the audio and it is very clean with the engine running and at any RPM. Please understand that I am a reasonably intelligent electrical engineer and have taken the steps long ago to identify the problem.
No apologies necessary. Good luck solving the problem you identified long ago. Fingers crossed, and I'm curious so please keep us posted. That's me speaking as a reasonably intelligent person who is incompetent as an electrical engineer. Ha ha.

I assume you have seen the audio boost settings in the Sena and have that On. No need to slap that one down.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
Big_Bird is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
 
rej4449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 638
Big Bird, reasonable is subjective... WAWingGuy got the (figurative) cigar. He also identified a problem where the Freewire overdrives the CB input. Hopefully Sena designed the thing with a variable gain CB output so the problem can be addressed in firmware.

Thanks for your assistance.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rej4449 is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Big Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia "Riding all the Time"
Posts: 1,279
I have Sena SM10 and SPH10, I run escort redline , Garmin gps , XM radio,& phone. I always tap SM10 for the volume boost. I also run everything through a Mix it 2. The volume on the bike is @ 5 to 7 max, the Mix-it 2 handles all the volume necessary and prioritizes the Radar Detector for alerts. Works great for me.

Regards,
Wes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2003 Gold Wing (Black)
2002 VTX 1800C (Silver)
OBAST Member #19

Owner/Operator Neighborhood Lawn Care
"Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Clippings Back"

"Hollow Points"--"From Those Who Care Enough to Send the Very Best"

"I hear voices, and they tell me they don't like you"
Big Wes is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
 
rej4449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post
I have Sena SM10 and SPH10, I run escort redline , Garmin gps , XM radio,& phone. I always tap SM10 for the volume boost. I also run everything through a Mix it 2. The volume on the bike is @ 5 to 7 max, the Mix-it 2 handles all the volume necessary and prioritizes the Radar Detector for alerts. Works great for me.

Regards,
Wes
Wes,

This is the first I have heard of Mix It products. I checked the site and they look interesting. Out of curiousity, do you run it on batteries or do you use external power? I'm curious whether the product isolates audio from power to eliminate ground loops.

Bob
rej4449 is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
 
rej4449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 638
Reading the FAQ answered my question with a "Yes". At $159, that is a very pricey mixer, though.
rej4449 is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Big Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia "Riding all the Time"
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rej4449 View Post
Wes,

This is the first I have heard of Mix It products. I checked the site and they look interesting. Out of curiousity, do you run it on batteries or do you use external power? I'm curious whether the product isolates audio from power to eliminate ground loops.

Bob
I have it wired to my fuse block. I don't need to run my ground loop w/ it. Oh, and you're correct it is a bit pricy, but it does work well.

Regards,
Wes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2003 Gold Wing (Black)
2002 VTX 1800C (Silver)
OBAST Member #19

Owner/Operator Neighborhood Lawn Care
"Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Clippings Back"

"Hollow Points"--"From Those Who Care Enough to Send the Very Best"

"I hear voices, and they tell me they don't like you"
Big Wes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome