6'4" and taller - GL1800Riders
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By WVMANDINGO
  • 3 Post By jollygreendoc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
LMR

6'4" and taller

Are there any wing riders over 6'4" ? How do you like the wind screen, handlebar level and suspension ? Who makes good gear that fits us ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam and use the stock windscreen on its lowest setting most of the time, I like to feel a little air. Raising the windscreen gives me adequate protection when needed for colder weather. I purchased a taller windshield that was on sale a couple of years ago but never put it on the bike. The only other change I've made is to put on a set of mini arm foot pegs. A little more leg room would be nice, but I have gotten use to it.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!

Last edited by WVMANDINGO; 02-15-2017 at 05:09 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm 6'8" with a 36"inseam.

I have a Cee Bailey's +4 along with the Hartco seat that sits my up 2.5" and back 4". I have REG risers and the full Traxxion suspension. The best gear? I have Motoport pants that were custom made to fit me. And I wear a 2XL Tourmaster Flex jacket.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
6'5" with a 36" inseam.

I got buffeting with the stock windshield. I added Baker Hand Wings and a Windbender - it was a big upgrade for my passenger (5'2") which I attribute mostly to the Bakers, and a decent reduction in my buffeting. Later added the rake kit and it is like magic. I use the HP shield in the low position.

ShowChrome handlebar risers. They're cheap (I think ~$25 now) but did the trick for me.

After a few years, I finally sprung for a seat. Wingsoft Large. More comfortable butt and knees. I now almost never use my Kury Ergo II highway pegs (with mini arms) and am thinking about taking them off.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam

I have +2" windshield. It's pretty good but I may end up with a +4" or a Windbender style since I still get some helmet buffeting and bugs in my line of sight.

Tried handlebar risers but didn't like them and took them off.

I have a custom seat from Russell Day Long. Expensive but I'd do it again. It sets me up and back. Truly is "day long". I tried a Wingsoft large but couldn't sit on it as long as the stock seat.

My highway pegs are Mic-O-Pegs model GF. Lots of variety from them. Great quality and service.

For riding pants I have Sliders cargo pants with Kevlar that have long inseams. They're not to bad for the price. Maybe someday I'll have Motoport like Bartman.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Oh yeah, pants.

Aerostich Ad1 pants seem to fit longer in the leg for me. In a good way. I think it is because of the way the knee is articulated. The AD1 40L fits me well, but I need custom leg length in the Darien pant.

Whatever works for you, the good thing is that custom leg length is available there, too.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Fee-fi-fo-fum!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMR View Post
Are there any wing riders over 6'4" ? How do you like the wind screen, handlebar level and suspension ? Who makes good gear that fits us ?
I'm 6'9", and just over 300lbs. with a 37" inseam.

When I first bought my '02, I basically couldn't ride it. Stock windshield directed the airflow right into my face. That was all the way up! So, I was pelted by bugs, rocks and all other debris.

Couldn't sit for long on the stock seat. My knees were against the front fairing. The sitting position also had me sitting curved, and all my back pressure was on my tailbone. Couldn't ride more than 90 miles. Nothing helped. Airhawk, gel cushions, medical doughnut, nothing!

My shoulders ached from reaching forward to reach the handlebars. And I couldn't make tight turns, because the handlebars got trapped against my knees.

I tried several used seats. Didn't want to shell out the money for a new, custom seat. Went thru 5 seats. Hartco, Diamond, Wingsoft, Stock and a used Russel Day Long. When I used the RDL, I noticed a great difference. The seat was made for my weight, but not quite for my size. It had me back 2", but that's it.

Here's what I've changed from stock:

So, I pulled the trigger on a brand new RDL made just for me. Moved me back 6" in the saddle. Since I ride solo, I have no concern for who sits behind me. I need to be comfortable. And it works! I've completed 2 Iron Butt rides now with it. It really is a day long saddle!

Bought a F4+4 non-vented windshield. Much improvement! But, got warm during the summer. So, trying a V-Stream special edition with vent right now. Does a great job of bringing the air above and beside my helmet. Not into it.

MBL risers for the handlebars. 1 1/2" back and 1/2" up. No more shoulder strains and aches! I can also turn lock to lock without striking my legs now.

Mick O Peg's so I can stretch out. All other types of foot rests, had me sitting like I was getting a pelvic exam! That exacerbated the pain in my tailbone. No more! The MOP's make you feel like you are sitting in your favorite chair. AND, they spring up and out of the way for spirited riding. Unlike most pegs, when mounted too low, cause you to grind the pegs off. Or, even causes you to lose control when the pegs dig into the ground.

The stock suspension is too soft for my weight. Installed Progressive Monotubes up front, all balls tapered neck bearings and upgraded the rear suspension with a Progressive spring and a brand new 2015 shock (trike take-off).

All of that has made my wing enjoyable. I was 1 season away from selling the wing, until I made the decision to get that custom seat. What a difference.

Lastly, clothing. For warmer weather, I have a Joe Rocket 5.0 mesh jacket in 3XL tall. Has the armor, removable inner lining, and fits great. For colder weather, I have the 2pc Kathmandu Jacket and Overall's. 2XLT fits me great. Even for sleeve length.

I don't have mesh pants. Just use jeans or the Kathmandu overalls.

I know this may be long winded, but it's very thorough to answer your questions.

The pics show 1) 2" moved back in seat 2) New RDL moving me back 6" 3) My height compared to normal sized riders and 4) my Kathmandu 2pc riding suit.

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151116_163202.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	175505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151116_163210.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	175513   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150614_143336.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	175521   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151018_175032.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	175529  
Walrus, Joecool1962 and LMR like this.

Last edited by jollygreendoc; 02-16-2017 at 06:40 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

I suggest you go with the F4 Customs Plus 4 with vent and add the Baker Air wings under the mirros and on the sides. This will make a great improvement in your ride.
Don Frank
F4 Customs
330-968-4644

F4 Customs, LLC
"The Motorcycle Windshield Guys"
330-968-4644
sales@f4customs.com
www.f4customs.com
http://www.facebook.com/F4CustomsWindshields

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low pricing is forgotten."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page