Not many Wings for sale ? - GL1800Riders
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Not many Wings for sale ?

Unfortunately I'm being forced to put my 05 Wing up for sale to help in down payment $ for a new house. I put it on Craiglist here in the Charlotte NC area about 3 weeks ago. As I was expecting, I received about 6 scammers with very imaginative stories about certified checks and a shipper showing up at my house with check in hand. They are funny to correspond with, I had one guy will willing to give me $100K ,in a guaranteed certified check. He couldn't come himself because he was a Captain in the Army on a secret mission, but it was for his 18 year old son graduating from high school.. Yeah,, that one was funny.
Anyways, looks like Wings might be hard to come by and if available, command some high prices.
Just talked to a real person that lives 4 hours away and he's really interested in my 05 plain jane that has 55K on the clock, willing to put $8K in my hand this weekend.
Now, , this bike is nice shape, but still ?
I thought I priced it high ? But looking at other offers on Craigslist, there isn't that many for sale.

Like maybe 3 ?

Maybe that drives the prices up?
1oldsoldier likes this.

2005 GL1800
2001 Buell X1
2005 St-1300 ( my Fav)
2001 CBR-1000
After that, who cares, 45 years worth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Was gonna say its just too early to see many on CL but doing a quick search found 11 1800s alone at nearby Charlotte. This one caught my eye.

Its a shame what people do on CL. Makes it tougher on honest sales. Gotta admit the secret mission one was funny though!
Pricejh61 likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Scammers are all over,

I was looking for a used, low mileage Ford Explorer to pull my camper & was looking for one with a V8 engine & tow package that are hard to find but there out there. Answered an Craigslist ad for one for sale out in Virginia. Suppose to be a estate car that was moved to Boston. Could tell by the broken English in the E-mails that this was a scam. Just send me the money & I will ship it to your door!

Finally I just told him that I had a friend living in Boston & He could come with the cash & if its as advertised pay you & drive it away.
Never heard from him again!

Good Luck with the sale of your Wing!

2002 GL 1800
2012 650 Suzuki Burgman Trike
2006 650 Suzuki Burgman Standard
1989 Honda PC 800

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I look at Craigslist here locally all the time.... I've seen an upsurge in goldwings lately.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Up here in the northeast CL is still slow but there are a fair amount being listed even though it just snowed here today. Really itchin to ride.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:47 AM
Seasoned Member

When I was selling my 03', the guy was stuck on an oil rig and was buying it as a surprise birthday gift for his brother.

Just once I'd like to get them to send the check and see how mad they get when I insist they have to wait for the check to clear.
silverbullet05 likes this.

"The worst of all fears is the fear of living.", Theodore Roosevelt
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I found out years ago to never put anything on craigs list, unless you want to get the attention of the scammers. When I sold my last wing, I put it on ebay with a pay a deposit and come and pick it up with cash, or pay in full, then arrange a shipping company come and get it. The only thing I had has was a couple of guys wanting to trade a boat for it.
It sold in three days.
Walrus likes this.

2008 Titanium - Audio, Comfort, Navigation Goldwing.
Led tail and head lights, Switchback front led turn signals.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiYoCheeto View Post
When I was selling my 03', the guy was stuck on an oil rig and was buying it as a surprise birthday gift for his brother.

Just once I'd like to get them to send the check and see how mad they get when I insist they have to wait for the check to clear.
Actually.... the scammers checks wil clear ..... the fraud will not be discovered until months later..... the bank will get their money back from you..... it's illegal for you to pass a bad check even know you didn't originate it. A lot of them want to over pay you and have you give them money back..... you will end up being liable for the check amount. A lot of times they actually don't care if they get what they buy. They are just looking for dummies to cash checks.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 AM
Contributing Member

Had a neighbor that got burned on a Goldwing he "bought" on ebay, probably 10 years ago. I think he lost about $8,000. His bank told him he was protected using a credit card, turned out he wasn't. Sounded like a great deal and he just couldn't pass it up!

Ebay used to be ripe with fake GW sales but over the last 5 years or so I haven't spotted any obvious ones but there are always plenty of them on Craigslist. You would think a $15,000 trike listed for $2,000 would be a little suspicious....
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Yup total scuzballs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page