GL1800Riders Forums banner

New Zealand

616 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  EX-NYSP 
#1 ·
I may have an opportunity to go to new Zealand. I've been checking out bike rentals,pretty expensive. That aside,has anybody ever rode here? Any advice? Just looks like such a beautiful country.

#2 ·
I did the North island a long time ago. Zero traffic out in the country between towns, with drop dead gorgeous roads. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Never saw any police on any of the roads out of town and basically could go as fast as I wanted, This was in the early 90's. Not sure how much has changed since then.

The South Island is even more beautiful, but also is colder, so it can only be done in certain months. There is a ferry ride to go from North Island to South Island, but most rental agencies won't let you take a rental vehicle from one island to another. Also, remember our winter is their summer. Watch out for herds of sheep in the middle of the road.

#3 ·
I've driven both islands in rental cars. Since they drive on the wrong side of the road, I decided having a constant reminder of that, steering wheel on the right, was a smart thing. On a bike it's all the same.
The S. island was, to me, the most scenic. Mountains, glaciers, volcanic activity unspoiled miles of ocean views with little traffic. N. island is more tropical, and has many scenic beaches and more people. If you rent a vehicle on N. Is. you turn it in in Wellington, take a ferry to S. Island and pick up another. No problem.
Motels are not as plentiful as I expected and can be interesting. I stayed in one room that used to be a maternity hospital, now a motel. More chance of rain on S.island and cooler temps. I lived in Alaska for 10 years and S. Island reminded me a lot of their scenery.

Check on your Auto insurance about coverage before you go. Credit cards/ATM's available everywhere. WIFI not so much, although there are internet cafes everywhere for a small charge.

If you have the chance to go, jump on it, no matter what you drive. Flight time to Auckland is around 12 hours, not as bad as 17 to Sydney Au.

#4 ·
We drove the South Island last year about this time of year in a car. There are only a few four lane highways on the South Island, so it is perfect for a motorcycle. You get used to being on the left side of the road so that is not difficult. The country is biker friendly. I would like to go back and rent a bike. Most of the companies have a self guided option in addition to riding with a group. The self guided option is naturally cheaper.

If you go to Nelson, there is a nice motorcycle museum.

#6 ·
Leaving for a two week tour of NZ next week. Going with Fred Rau motorcycle tours. An excellent company. Renting from Te Waiponamu motorcycle rental in Christchurch. Good luck on your trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.