2008 GL1800 Airbag Recall Completed - Plus $64.00 Labor Air Filter Change - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

2008 GL1800 Airbag Recall Completed - Plus $64.00 Labor Air Filter Change

I have the airbag recall completed on 2/15/17 at the my local Honda Dealer.

Personally stopped in to request the recall and Dealer needed VIN to order the parts. Asked at that time the labor cost of the Air Filter Replacement (Service Manager and actual Mechanic) and was told $0 No Cost. I had purchased the OEM Air Filter prior so I had it with me. 3 days later the recall parts arrived and Dealer called, Honda wanted the recalls done rather quickly with the old units sent back. Delivered the bike with the OEM air filter and confirmed with younger service underwriter that the air filter was N/C. Mechanic actually had another GL1800 disassembled they and they let me view it and he showed me the air cleaner location as he just placed this other bikes air bag assembly into place.

Two days later a call and at pickup the younger service writer hands me a bill for $64.00 and states there was other "stuff" in the way of the Air Filter and only charged me half per the Service Manager. I mentioned the twice confirmed ( N/C Air Filter Labor) both prior when parts were ordered and when I delivered the bike for the recall. Service Manager and Mechanic were not available to talk. Paid the bill and rode for an hour....all is well.

The same day I called the Honda Powersports Recall Line and opened a if you will complaint/query on the Air Filter/Air Bag Recall issue.
I then penned an actual letter (and Email) to Honda Powersports along with a copy of the bill and the details. I clipped copies from their service manual and used pics from other members showing the bike state when the Air Bag Unit Assembly had been removed.

I framed my question in the query of the time (Honda Sanctioned Work Unit Hours) necessarily needed at that point in the Air Bag Recall Procedure to replace the Air Filter. As actual shop hour $ rates vary, the time unit is the key component. The Honda KA8B Air Bag recall procedure was stated by my Dealer as 1.5 billable work hours.

Stated that IMHO Honda should step in and at least Validate a Labor time for the Air Filer Replacement job when performed within the context of the Air Bag Recall procedure.

That's my story, I will post and update the thread with their (if any) response.

Thoughts and comments welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Member

In your case, they shouldn't have charged it because they told you up front that the charge would be zero.

Had they not said that, you wouldn't have much of a case as it's not uncommon to charge book labor for items whether or not there is actual incremental labor involved.

There are two methods for selling shop services....actual time and book time.

As much as it might bug the consumer when it goes against us, most consumer still prefer book time. For example...Johnny new tech might take 2 hours to R&R a rear tire. If shop rate is $95 per hour, we certainly wouldn't want to pay $180 for the tire R&R even though that is how much time was actually spent.

Charging book time eliminates the customer worrying about if they got the fast tech or the slow tech and getting surprises in their bill.

But...with shop time...comes the occasional double charge for work they were going to do anyway.

In the end, it probably still comes out better for the consumer.

BTW...in a related example. I just got an estimate for a valve check and replacing spark plugs. Obviously you have to pull the spark plugs to do the valve check but there was still a standard charge for the spark plug change. It is expected and I really don't mind as I realize you can't have it both ways. It's either book labor time or real labor time, but not both.

Once again..in your case..you have a reason to be upset as they didn't honor their agreement. A specific agreement to not charge you should over ride the normal charge and I agree you should contact the dealer. As far as contacting Honda...unless the agreement to not charge you was in writing and can be substantiated, I doubt they will help much.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

Last edited by 2WheelNut; 02-22-2017 at 11:56 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Same here I had it done while they were there for about the same charge 1/2 labor plus the air filter. In your case saying nothing then oh by the way $64 would leave me with a confidence issue with service advisor.....

A friend went to a different stealership and got hit for twice the charge for same recall and filter... buyer beware..... even when you ask first the get you in the end... good luck all ....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Spoke with Honda Powersports CS. He was very knowledgeable with the GL1800 Goldwing. He got the issue right away.

Official Honda Response:

"Honda takes no position on any additional (Customer Requested) work done in concert with any of their Authorized Honda Recall Repairs"
"Honda Dealer may choose to vary from Normal Work Time, to discount full labor to customer for Customer Requested work if they so choose"

So any dealer may charge up to normal full amount of the Air Filter Replacement and its ok with Honda.

It was suggested that when other owners are dropping the bike off for the Air Bag Recall that they ask the dealer to note on the service order the cost of the air filter replacement. In my case I did have to sign a work order before the recall parts were even ordered but I did not have the N/C charges noted on there.

Honda did ask me to call my local Dealer General Manager and discuss my twice quoted N/C labor charge in my case. They did ask me to call them back with the response I receive. Of course they log everything.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Does anyone know what the actual additional time to install the filter would be...assuming an experienced tech is doing the work?

MY SON GAVE ALL

The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216
In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Once all the stuff is removed to do the recall the only thing in the way is the air filter cover.

It is sitting right there. Pop out the screws, lift off the air filter cover, remove the old filter, run a rag around inside and clean the airbox, place new filter in, refit the lid.

About 5 minutes for a competent tech I would think.

2009 GL1800 8A / Triumph Scrambler 900

Last edited by Kiwi; 04-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page