F4 windshield: Tint or no tint? - GL1800Riders
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

F4 windshield: Tint or no tint?

Well, I have decided to get the F4 +2. Now I have to choose between tint or no tint. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons for a tinted windshield? I do live in Florida, and usually ride in the boiling sun, so I'm thinking a tint would be good. I value your opinions!

I leave early tomorrow morning, for Daytona. (2 1/2 hours, north) Hope to get the F4, there.
F4Customs likes this.

G.Carson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Seasoned Member

With the taller windshield, think about after dark, you will have to look through it not over it.
RetiredLawDawg likes this.

Prowler #51
04 Honda Goldwing
04 Honda Rune
08 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
13 Can-Am Renegade 800
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

I don't particularly care to ride at night because drivers have a hard enough time seeing me during daylight; I have a tinted F4 +4 and especially do not like to ride at night wiht the tinted windshield as I'm looking through it and lose a lot of visibility. That is especially problematic when riding outside of town and others are seeing deer beside the road and I don't. The other downside to a tinted windshield (at least for me) is the reduced visibility in a rain, as the mist and rain make it even more difficult to see through the raindrops that hit the face shield and roll around the windshield. The tint looks good on my bike, but unless you can guarantee yourself that you will only ride in daylight and only on well lit roads I would advise against a tinted windshield based on what I've experienced.
carsong85 likes this.

Florida Prowler #745

Navy & Viet Nam Veteran

Previous Rides:
'69 BSA 650 Lightning
'79 Honda CB 650
'82 Suzuki GS 1100L
'84 GL 1200 Goldwing
'86 GL 1200 Aspencade

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Richard Edward
I can't speak for the F4 tinted windshield, but I have used a Tulsa Tall tinted windshield for a few years and have found there is no hindrance when riding at night. If I were buying a new windshield now, it would be the tinted type.

YMMV

Richard Edward

01 Illusion Red
Bridgestone 709 front
Michelin Alpin rear DS1472
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I ride a lot at night so I would not like a tinted shield. I don't like the smoked out headlights either for the same reason.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk1800 View Post
With the taller windshield, think about after dark, you will have to look through it not over it.
Isn't the +2 still adjustable?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

I have not had a F4 tall windshield.
I have had other brands on other motorcycles where I was looking through the windshield.
What I concluded was, there is no way I would have a tinted windshield where there is a possibility I would be riding at night looking through it.
You can wear darker sunglasses during the day to deal with the sun.
You can not remove the tint at night.

Doug

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Get clear. I would not make a change like that unless there is something you don't like about clear. I like clear. I have clear windshields in all my vehicles.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:26 PM
one
Seasoned Member

I had a tulsa tall (that could be adjusted) in tinted and liked it and now have a +4 tinted and like it. The tulsa scratched up in the first year Got the tall to decrease wind on wife and have no choice but to look through it . Ride some at night when I have to but do not make a point of being out when the deer are roaming . Next one will be tinted also. Would rather be able to adjust it though. Maybe when the electric ones come out.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael2480 View Post
Isn't the +2 still adjustable?
Yes, they say it is.

G.Carson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page