Tank Range for 1800 - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Seasoned Member

35mpg x 6.6 gallons = 231 miles that is a conservative estimate to empty averaging lower and higher mpg depending on conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Seasoned Member

I would fill up at least every 200 miles to be on the safe side.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
When planning a trip, I use 200 as my target to get fuel. I may have more miles left, but I like to know what kind of fuel I have available near my target range. Most of my riding is near sea level, so I know that drops the MPG compared to those at the higher elevations. Easy throttle gives me 38MPG most of the time. Normal is closer to 36.6, while my best was 42.
I can then use gas buddy to determine where the best price Top Tier station is. If I need to go a little farther, I can. Plus less stress and mental second guessing on if I should have gone past that last little town or not.
Weege likes this.

[/SIGPIC]Marc in Sunny California

Last edited by mmartin_tdc; 03-11-2017 at 12:11 PM.

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiYoCheeto View Post
The only way to properly prove it would be to run 3 tanks of each, over the same course, at the same speed, on the same day. Modern engines need at least 3 tanks to adjust the ECM to the gas used.

If it works for you, that's great. However, I'm a skeptic at heart and I would need some hard scientific testing to show the difference. My meager knowledge of physics and modern engines just doesn't let me believe the claim.
Actually it doesn't work that way. Technology allows our engines to adapt constantly. Many , many times per minute as the sensors are constantly sampling and sending feedback to the ecm. Premium fuel allows a more slower more complete burn , spreading the burn out over a little longer period of time thus yielding more btu's. Its not a huge difference. The F6B consistently yields 1.5 to 2 mpg better. The F150 with Edge Tuner , 3 inch cat back Gibson exhaust and Banks Ram Air yields an extra 1 mpg and the Grand Marquis does the best at 2.5 to 3 mpg on a long trip. Long being over 300 miles. I'm not saying its fiscally profitable. Its not. I don't run it in the GM very often. Only on a long trip. The F150 requires it. I've checked the results dozens of times.
Weege likes this.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
How far can you get on a tank, say, on a 2015GL, driving at about speed limit or 10 over, with occasional burst pinching triple digit to quickly pass some 18 wheelers...nothing spectacular?
Before it turns you into a pedestrian?

If you estimate 35mpg...and if you don't try to use all of the tank, the math you can do in your head is reasonably simple:

35 x 2 = 70
70 x 3 = 210

At 210 miles, you've been on the low fuel light for 10 or 20 miles, and you still have a cushion.

I've only (intentionally) ran my bike dry once, and I was just over 250 on the tripmeter. Thus, the estimating math works:

6.6 x 35 ~ 230

Again, folks get wrapped up on the range of this bike. Do you have the same concern with a four wheeled vehicle? It's able to leave you stranded, just as much as the motorcycle is. There's generic range for every bike/rider combination. Your goal is to learn your bike/rider combination.

Luck to ya on your endeavor!
2WheelNut and Barrycuda67 like this.

● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ● IBA #50030 ●

Last edited by kwthom; 03-11-2017 at 08:32 PM.
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:15 PM

On my 2015 I have gone in the 240 mile range 3 times and I filled up with about 6.2 gallons.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Seasoned Member

We left Indiana once headed for Waynesboro, Virginia, to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway ... got far into West Virginia along highway 50 ... odometer showed 268 miles ... just forgot about the fuel thing. Found a station a few miles down the road somewhere near Smithburg. We coasted in with fumes and smiles ... can't imagine pushing that beast

Tom Batt ... the "FROGG TOGGS GUY"
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Back about Sept, someone mentioned he uses an app called Road Trip LE to keep up with his gas mileage. I downloaded it, and like it. Simple to use, and gives you all the stats you may want. I have not been on a trip since then, so my stats are all just around town. The app shows I am averaging 30.16 mpg over 583 miles for a cost of $0.078 per mile. I only work 4 1/2 miles from the house, with 1 stop sign and 5 or 6 traffic lights. Yeah, there is a lot of stop and go driving.

'08 Pearl White GL1800, ABS, NAV, '97 Bushtec Genesis, Pearl white.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
I prefer to refuel sometime after 200 miles, usually reset tripmeter to zero when refueling because the fuel gauge is nowhere near as accurate as it was a few hundred thousand miles ago, in 475,000+ miles my 02 has never ran out of fuel but I have put is 6.6 gallons a few times. When the trip meter gets past 240 I get nervous but have been past 260 without running out.
You really have 475,000 miles on your '02? That's amazing!!! I just got mine a couple years ago, but it has 34, 000 miles on it. I need to get movin'!

G.Carson

post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiYoCheeto View Post
The only way to properly prove it would be to run 3 tanks of each, over the same course, at the same speed, on the same day. Modern engines need at least 3 tanks to adjust the ECM to the gas used.

If it works for you, that's great. However, I'm a skeptic at heart and I would need some hard scientific testing to show the difference. My meager knowledge of physics and modern engines just doesn't let me believe the claim.
On my Connie I used to do 5 tank averages during my daily commute to judge benefits from mods. I didn't use out riding as too many variables. The daily commute is about as consistent as I can get. While there is come variability its not that much over 5 tanks, 5 weeks at a tank a week. Anycase premium fuel was worth a whopping 0.6 mpg increase on my daily commute averaged over 5 tanks. That said 44.2 was my best ever single tank of straight freeway cruise on regular and with premium I got 48.8 for a single tank at 70mph of straight I-5 for about 170mi. - I have heard lots of people claim 45 and 50 for old skool C10 Concours, but I never got it. Never got over 45 once, except that one tank and it was premium fuel. But I also correctly account for my speedometer error and used precise calculations.

Buddy: 192mi / 4.1 gal = 46.8. I found over course of ride his odo is 3% off. Me: 192 - 3% = 186.24 / 4.17 = 44.66 mpg.

2005 GL1800ABS 60,000mi
2003 ZG1000 131,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page