Harbor Freight Lift - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Member

From the OP I believe he is talking about the atv/motorcycle lift (jack), not the table.
This was his question.

"Any modifications or jigs to get the lift to fit the frame of your Gold Wing?"

If it was a table, there is nothing that would have anything to do with the frame of the Gold Wing.
If the atv/motorcycle lift (jack) is what he is talking about then my answer is...THEY ARE JUNK!
I had one and gave it away.
I bought a J&S because of all the reviews,BigBird's discussion with me about his, videos etc.
I could not be happier.
You get what you pay for.
Holding up a 900# motorcycle is not the time to be cheap in my opinion.

Doug

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Doug after rereading the OP I think you are right. And I concur that when lifting a 900# bike you need to choose your equipment carefully.
flat6bagger likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Again, if it is the little under-the-bike jack, then read this post ---- Lifting a wing on GENERIC motorcycle/Atv jack

I agree you often get what you paid for - however in this case I paid I think $45 (on sale), and has worked fine for me for many years now. Just used it a couple of days ago to change my oil prior to a trip. If I was doing maintenance as a business - then yes I'll spend the big bucks for both a quality lift table and a floor jack. But for all the bikes that have been on that lift - no issues and well worth the money. Not trying to justify my purchase - y'all do with your money as you see fit - just letting ya know that it's done what it needed to without an issue. NOTE - do not buy the aluminum one - while it was great in my office for supporting the 500 lbs of deadweights we used with torque meters, the wheel spacing is inadequate for use with a heavy motorcycle. Only use the steel lift, not the aluminum one.
Capt. Bob and oldscooter like this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psf453 View Post
How about the lift that rest on the floor and lifts from under the bike. Not the ride-on table. My issue is finding the center- gravity with frame members to contact the sections of the lift. I doubt it a good idea to lift from the engine casing under the bike.

Thanks for all the responses about using a table.
Read the above link regarding where to place the jack. And yes, the bottom of the engine pan supports the bike just fine, and if you have a belly pan there is no need to remove it, won't hurt it at all. Here's another view of the bike on the jack...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170308_095159272.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	180985  
Capt. Bob likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:13 AM
Seasoned Member

I have one of those also. It's a HF and I think I paid about $50 for it. I use it on motorcycles that don't have a center stand to change rear tires on such as Harley's and most V-twin cruiser type of bikes. I bought it about 14 years ago and the only thing I don't like about it is you have to be real careful about letting it down or it will go too fast.

GL1800A Interceptor Illusion Red
Florida Prowler #100
IBA#64117
www.facebook.com/Bobbysokcorral

"Freedom is the length of the chain between a stake in the ground and reality"
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:43 AM
Seasoned Member

It comes down to this...
use what you are comfortable with.
I would not lift a kids WalMart bicycle with a Harbor Freight jack.
I think they are junk and dangerous.
Others seem to have the exact opposite opinion.
Someone has a $20,000 or more motorcycle, but uses a $50 jack.
I don't quite get that.
Whatever floats their boat.
As in oil, tires, maintenance,etc I could care less what others use or do.

Watch this video at 7:45 and see the Harbor Freight jack and what they say about it.

Doug

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Member

So where does my Craftsman jack rank? Seems pretty well made had it for 10 years and never experienced any problem. I also have a
HF lift table it is older model and I think it a little heavier built than never models. Yes it would be nice if it was wider. But only because I would like to lift a trike the way I do the wing.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psf453 View Post
Anyone using the motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight? Care to share your experiences and how it works?
Any modifications or jigs to get the lift to fit the frame of your Gold Wing?

Thanks for sharing
You may want to look at the Big Blue Motorcycle Lift. More stable than a standard ATV/MC Lift, takes up less room than a table lift - and you can do wheel work.

https://lifts-and-stands.com/product...big-blue-lift/

I have one and it's very stable. I think when I bought it I saw pictures of a girl sitting on the bike while the demostrator lifted the bike.

2006 Honda Goldwing Navi
2003 Valkyrie Standard
2002 Bushtec Quantum GL
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:41 AM

My philosophy with motorcycles, especially my wing is that you always buy capability and safety first. On a thousand pound bike lifting mechanisms are prime safety devices when performing maintenance, and therefore worthy of your best dollar. It is absolutely not worth cheaping out on a lift; you get what you pay for. There are only two worth getting; J&S and Pitbull. I got my J&S used off of Craigslist for $400.00 and quickly pitched my Craftsman and never looked back, it's just not worth the "temporary" savings. Next would be a commercial air, hydraulic, or electric roll up unit, but now you're getting up close to a thousand bucks or more and unless you're working on them all of the time it wouldn't be worth the dollars and space.
Simon Templar likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Well the pic of the dumped BMW I seriously don't see how anyone would think it the lift. First it did not come with the wheel chock. Second bike in wheel chock then to go on center stand bike rolls back. So 1/2 way in chock will not hold bike. Then last but not least the loops on deck are for safety strap. None in my picture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page