Harbor Freight Lift - GL1800Riders
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Harbor Freight Lift

Anyone using the motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight? Care to share your experiences and how it works?
Any modifications or jigs to get the lift to fit the frame of your Gold Wing?

Thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I have had one for about 5 years now. I made side extension boards so I could still put my feet down when riding up onto the table with my wing. I made it so I could remove it. Fabricated pockets that bolted to the bottom of each side and attached tubing onto the boards to slide into the pockets. I can also put our riding mower up onto the table and lift it up for easier servicing, changing oil etc. It lifted my 92 GL1500 SE quite easily and that bike weighed in at 1020 on a grain elevator scale which is more accurate than a truck weigh station scale. It also serves as a extra work table sometimes in my small shop. Would I buy one again? Yes. I do not use it to lift a bike on a daily basis so it serves the purpose for me.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Seasoned Member

I bought one and sold it to a friend the next day. Got my money back and he got one already put together. This was the problem for me. You can't ride the bike on the rack. It isn't wide enough. I don't know about you but I'm not pushing a 900 lb bike up a ramp. You get overbalanced and there it goes. If you buy one you will have to build a platform for each side and then worry that it don't slip out when your foot applies side pressure to it. For a small bike like a sport bike it would be fine. That foot pump is a workout also.
Weege likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Garage
If you are talking about the Craftsman ATV/MC Lift, it works ok. You will probably need to ride your bike up on a piece of wood (I use a scrap 2x to get it up high enough to get it under the frame, just remember to put a small block under the side stand also. Center the rear bar on the center stand mount and you should be good to go. If you have a belly pan, you may or may not need to remove it first depending on the style. You might want to strap the bike to the lift or ceiling for safety, your choice. The other option is to not use a lift and lay the Wing over on the crash bars if removing the wheels.

[B]Prowler 1953

2004 GL1800A "The Great White" Made in the USA
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Outta Here by M2

I've had mine for about 2 years, and put the wing on it yesterday. I made some 8" wide platforms for each side, so I would have a place to put my feet when I ride it onto the lift. Lately, I've been walking it up on the lift, with the engine running. I'm 66, and not a strong man, by any means, but I can feather the clutch at idle and walk beside the bike as it moves up the ramp. My 650 V-Strom just gets a good push to get it on the lift.

I use a piece of rubber under the screw jacks to keep it from sliding on the concrete floor and a piece of rubber mat under the center stand for the same reason. It's a pain getting the bike situated to pull the rear wheel out through the opening.
limpy45 and m2102 like this.

Last edited by XxNxaxscahzczaztbbbb; 03-11-2017 at 01:36 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Not sure if you mean the table-lift style jack, or the smaller one. If the table-lift style, most people have found the need to add extensions to the table as it's just not quite long enough for the Wing.

If it's the smaller middle-of-the-bike lift, here's a link with pictures regarding it. Lifting a wing on GENERIC motorcycle/Atv jack Personally, I find the smaller (not the table lift style) to be more useful, and a lot easier to tuck away in the garage when not in use.
Tex-Ed likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Outta Here by M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
Not sure if you mean the table-lift style jack, or the smaller one. If the table-lift style, most people have found the need to add extensions to the table as it's just not quite long enough for the Wing.
The table length is plenty long enough for the Wing. People add extensions to the sides to have a place to put their feet down' since it's a little narrow. Lots of folks have found this out, after riding the bike onto the lift and finding no place to put their feet!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:43 AM
Seasoned Member

I have one and use it a lot not just on my bike but quite a few others. I ride my GW up on it with no problem. I do have a wooden box on one side so I can put the side stand down to get off the bike. Then I put it up on the center stand. I use it to change the rear tire also. It is easier than laying the bike over and then standing it back up for me. If you position the front tire as far forward as possible it puts the rear tire right over the opening for the rear tire removal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0512150744.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	602.6 KB
ID:	180713  

Gl1800A Interceptor Illusion red
Florida Prowler 100
IBA #64117

"Freedom is the length of the chain between a stake in the ground and reality"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcat View Post
The table length is plenty long enough for the Wing. People add extensions to the sides to have a place to put their feet down' since it's a little narrow. Lots of folks have found this out, after riding the bike onto the lift and finding no place to put their feet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
I have one and use it a lot not just on my bike but quite a few others. I ride my GW up on it with no problem. I do have a wooden box on one side so I can put the side stand down to get off the bike. Then I put it up on the center stand. I use it to change the rear tire also. It is easier than laying the bike over and then standing it back up for me. If you position the front tire as far forward as possible it puts the rear tire right over the opening for the rear tire removal.
Okay - I sit corrected thought it was a length issue - so now I know it's more of a width issue.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

How about the lift that rest on the floor and lifts from under the bike. Not the ride-on table. My issue is finding the center- gravity with frame members to contact the sections of the lift. I doubt it a good idea to lift from the engine casing under the bike.

Thanks for all the responses about using a table.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page