Roof Top Cargo Boxes - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
I'd like to help Uncle out and get a deal done with him....my problem is I do not like the Bushtec trailers with their little bicycle tires. I probably would sell it if someone were to give me one free. Sorry Uncle John!

Allen
I wouldn't worry much about the tires just carry a spare, but seems like there have been quite a few broken Bushtec rims, I suspect maybe they get broke from unknowingly running around with a flat tire.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
Thanks Mr. Whiskey. This will be saved in this thread for the near future. I am still waiting for the price quotes from K&W for the diamond plate boxes. If that is not doable, then I'll have to ask for a relay and maybe enlist Uncle John to haul it north to Maggie Valley DSRI in May should I buy this one. That ad is 21 days old so hopefully it is still available.

Allen
I've seen some of those old style boxes but don't think they still make that design.
Sears still sells one that I believe would work for your interior dimensions...
67.5" (L) X 36.25" (W) X 20.25" (H)
http://www.sears.com/x-cargo-sport-2...-02872030000P#
It's big, & light, if it would fit your frame.
As for rear entry, get some gas assist shocks from any RV store & mount the top further toward the rear of the lid. This will allow a much greater opening.
Enjoy the trip
roadrunner1800 likes this.

Peace, Whiskey.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I confirmed my local store has the HF Tag Alongs at $299, just FYI.

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I want to thank everyone who responded and offered some very good info to me. I have decided not to go the plastic cargo box route, and have made a couple orders this morning which should be more than adequate for my needs.

I have ordered a Harbor Freight trailer sized 40.5"x48"....guess now they are 40.5" and not 40" according to the Harbor Freight website I ordered from. That will be $240 plus $7 shipping. I can't drive from Vermont to the West Springfield, MA Harbor Freight store and back home for less than $25, so the $7 shipping is a bargain.

I have also ordered a diamond plated aluminum cargo box from K&W out of Michigan. It will be sized 52"L x 40"W X 20" Tall. Some will say way to big, but I will be the rider hauling it and if I'm ordering it custom made I don't want it too small when I go to throwing gear into it. Also it will weigh only 70 lbs. according to the guy that I ordered it from....vs. just about 40lbs for a plastic cargo box. A good price I thought at $456 plus shipping. I got this idea from eurekaboy's site: http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/trailerv3.htm

A rather important man in my life always told me, smiling as he said it, that you can't take it with you to the grave. He was my father and he tried hard to prove that point and now that he has gone that route I'm assured that he left us thinking he had done a good job if you know what I am saying lol. Other people may say hold onto your money in coffee cans, you will never be wanting or broke....I'll trust my father's wisdom.

I also will be selling my Kompact Kamp trailer that has followed me around for thousands of miles with never a problem and handled very good at all speeds. I will post a separate thread in the For Sale forum when I get it dug out from the far corner of my 20x12 shed....straw bales and tarps covering it now. I really need the measurements before I list it. If anyone is considering buying a used cargo trailer this spring be watching for my thread. I'll post 2-3 pictures of it here for your info....measurements to com.

Allen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	600.3 KB
ID:	183305   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	526.6 KB
ID:	183313   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	183321  

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Bridgestone BT45

Last edited by roadrunner1800; 03-21-2017 at 02:03 PM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

That is the Sears cartop carrier I have. Come pick it up for $50...put it on a Harbor freight trailer.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Thats gonna be a big a$$ trailer!! Hahah but hey, do you boo boo...

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Thats gonna be a big a$$ trailer!! Hahah but hey, do you boo boo...

Derick, I don't really know what you mean by boo boo here.

I had already determined thanks to Slygrin that the Harbor Freight cargo box was just TOO SHORT and crossed it off the list.

Here are the car roof top cargo boxes I had considered and their sizes which are quite similar to the size of the diamond plate cargo box I ordered (52"L x 40'W x 20" H):

Sport rack SR7018 Vista XL- 18 cu.ft.- 64" x 39" x 19"
Sport Rack SR 7095 Skyline XL- 18 cuft- 54" x 39" x 19"
Sears XCargo20- 20 cuft- 67" x 36" x 20"
etrailer car top cargo box- 18 cuft- 57" x 39"x 19"

Keep in mind these are all huge boxes in their own right and all weigh roughly 40 lbs. With the diamond plate cargo box the vice president of sales quoted me a weight of 70 lbs. for a total of only 30 extra pounds. Considering that, I chose the diamond plate aluminum box. Is it a really big box? Yes , but they all are, plastic or diamond plate. Does it cost more? Well yes, but some of the plastic boxes were right near or close to $300.

Allen

Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Bridgestone BT45

Last edited by roadrunner1800; 03-22-2017 at 04:46 AM.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Allen think derick talking about regular hfrt. Trailer n put roof box on it.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
Allen think derick talking about regular hfrt. Trailer n put roof box on it.

Uncle John I reread the comment a couple times and also believe he was thinking I'd made a boo boo by ordering the trailer with the 12" tires and not the shorter 8". "That's gonna be a big a$$ trailer". I have ordered the diamond plate and will not be going the car top cargo box route.

So that got me to thinking and agree the 12" trailer tires will raise the rear end up too much...so I called today to cancel that order and reorder a trailer with the 8" tires. The trailer with the 8' tires was on their web site a week ago , but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger and order. A typical " snooze, you lose deal".

Now I find out by talking to a customer rep, after not finding the mini trailer with 8' tires that they were all clearanced during this last big sale. They have none in stock and they are not on back order she told me. She also told me that usually when an item is clearanced it means they may never see it again. I then went to Northern Tool and found the same deal...all 12" and no 8" mini trailers. So that leaves me with a great looking box .....maybe I can just put large casters on it and a good strong tow bar tongue lol.

Allen

Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Bridgestone BT45
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I'd think twice about the 8" tires. Try to solve the problem with a riser for the ball tongue or something, depending on your hitch. The 12" tires will make a big difference in how that box of yours rides.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page