Roof Top Cargo Boxes - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Roof Top Cargo Boxes

I have decided I need to get a hard shell car top cargo box to fit my camping gear. I see numerous cargo boxes made with polyethylene and others made with ABS plastic. Both claim UV ray abilities, but which might be the stronger or are they about equal strength wise? My only experience with these plastic cargo boxes was looking at a Sears cargo box one time while at Sears and that box seemed humongous and very sturdily made. I have been looking for boxes that are in the 56"-64" length range. Another question I have is how much of a PITA are the boxes that have rear openings. I can foresee some difficulty trying to dig out a smaller bag like a sleeping bag if it is tucked far away in the nose. With the rear opening tops, it seems they have a much smaller opening at the front area. So what are the stronger materials these cargo boxes are constructed of?

The smallish Kompact Kamp cargo trailer I have will be explored as a possible frame source to put the plastic cargo box on. Another option if that frame is not long enough, would be to use an almost pristine boat trailer I used for a 12' aluminum boat....cut down shorter of course. Boat no longer floats so well after I cut a pine tree down and it didn't fall quite where I was thinking it was going to land.

Allen
megatwin likes this.

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Bridgestone BT45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

The Harbor Freight Tag Along trailer is on sale for $208.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Seasoned Member

If you are planning on painting it, the ABS can be painted. Polyethylene will not hold paint for very long.

2012 Pearl White GL1800
AMA Life Member

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
The Harbor Freight Tag Along trailer is on sale for $208.

Larry, the price went up right after the weekend sale. Now $499.99. Also I don't believe that cargo box is long enough to carry my camping gear. The Teton XXL cot I bought for my Alaska ride is 46" long when in the bag. I also have four 48" adjustable tent poles for my tarp. The reason for getting the longer cargo box is the Kompact Kamp trailer I currently use is simply too short for anything longer than 40" unless I bungee it to the top lid.
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-auto-200-lb-motorcycle-capacity-78-in-tag-along-trailer-62644.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cihilb View Post
If you are planning on painting it, the ABS can be painted. Polyethylene will not hold paint for very long.

Good info , but since I have a black '01 Wing, I would just leave the cargo box the flat black color they are.

Allen

Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Bridgestone BT45
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
Larry, the price went up right after the weekend sale. Now $499.99. Also I don't believe that cargo box is long enough to carry my camping gear. The Teton XXL cot I bought for my Alaska ride is 46" long when in the bag. I also have four 48" adjustable tent poles for my tarp. The reason for getting the longer cargo box is the Kompact Kamp trailer I currently use is simply too short for anything longer than 40" unless I bungee it to the top lid.
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-auto-200-lb-motorcycle-capacity-78-in-tag-along-trailer-62644.html

Good info , but since I have a black '01 Wing, I would just leave the cargo box the flat black color they are.

Allen
Wow, that is quite a jump in price going to $499. I was going to swing by and buy one of these trailers as I had a Tag Along once before and it worked well. I figured at that $208 price, one couldn't go wrong.

I just got off the phone with the local store by me and their in store price is $299. If the Tag Along works for you, perhaps you need to call the local store and use the 25% off coupon on it. The store I just talked to was in Edmonds, WA.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Seasoned Member

THERE ON SALE EVERY OTHER MONTH. ALLEN CK OUT HOME DEPOT OR THE LIKE FOR CARGO BAG. I USED ONE ON MY CAMPER AND WORKED GREAT BOUGHT NEW ONE RITE BEFORE XMAS. WERE CLOSING OUT GOT IT FOR $15 HOLDS 15 SQ FT AND ties down great on camper rack. TRICK IS TO TIE DOWN SO AIR DOESNT WHIP IT AROUND . THE INSIDE STARTS TO SEPERATE. I LEARNED THE HARD WAY. GOOD LUCK

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

I believe I have a sears cartop carrier that's for sale in waterford MI. you would have to bring a truck, or the trailer you want to mount it on-mount it- then drive home.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Could anyone who has one of the Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long cargo box trailers please share all the interior measurements of the box. Not at the top edge, but the measurement that would disclose the longest bag that could be loaded and still lay flat on the floor and not be at an angle from one corner to the opposing corner diagonally. I already have one of those trailers lol. Length x width x height if you could and please no guesstimates , I really need an accurate tape measurement before I lay out hundreds of dollars. The Harbor Freight advertisement only gives a total length of the complete unit- box and trailer- and says nothing about the box measurements. With all the praise given these mini trailers for most bang per dollar, surely someone has one in their garage. Thank you.

Allen

Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Bridgestone BT45

Last edited by roadrunner1800; 03-16-2017 at 01:09 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
Could anyone who has one of the Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long cargo box trailers please share all the interior measurements of the box. Not at the top edge, but the measurement that would disclose the longest bag that could be loaded and still lay flat on the floor and not be at an angle from one corner to the opposing corner diagonally. I already have one of those trailers lol. Length x width x height if you could and please no guesstimates , I really need an accurate tape measurement before I lay out hundreds of dollars. The Harbor Freight advertisement only gives a total length of the complete unit- box and trailer- and says nothing about the box measurements. With all the praise given these mini trailers for most bang per dollar, surely someone has one in their garage. Thank you.

Allen
If no one posts up sooner, I will go measure mine when I get home after work.
roadrunner1800 and Derick like this.

Mike Harrison
'12 Blue GL1800 level 3
'06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
DD #1657

Exercise?!?
I thought you said Extra Fries...

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I went out and did some measuring on my Harbor Freight Tag-a-long. It might be smaller than you're looking for.

I took a couple of pictures with a 48" ruler.

Laying a tape measure along the bottom and measuring the length of the trailer, before it starts to curve up is 40"

Measuring the the inside of the top of the bottom section is 44.5"

The depth of the bottom half is about 7" and the top half is about 10" at the tallest part for a total of 17"
roadrunner1800 likes this.

Mike Harrison
'12 Blue GL1800 level 3
'06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
DD #1657

Exercise?!?
I thought you said Extra Fries...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page