GL1800Riders Forums banner

Daytona Bike Week

5K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  Dn 
#1 ·
Well, was at Bike Week yesterday. Boy, it's sure not the bike week of old! Traffic was not even worth mentioning, vendors were the same. Very few vendors left selling anything for the little guy. If you wanted to buy a trike or a seat or a few lights or trinkets, that was about it. (Mostly Harley stuff to boot) I bet that there wasn't any more than 40 or so vendors. I truly believe that bike week is getting smaller and smaller and just may be on its way out! JMHO! The weather certainly hasn't cooperated this spring either.
As Uncle John posted, it's pretty hard to get any deals when the vendors are getting priced out of the grounds of the Daytona Speedway!
Downtown may still be somewhat of an attraction as is Destination Daytona but as far as the rest of it...not so much. :crying:

#2 ·
Haven't been to a M/C ralley in years. Think my last was a Honda Hoot. Did try a couple GWRRA events and a couple Americades. But as stated, Daytona to me seems to be more of a Harley fest. Really don't like big crowds anyway. If I need trinkets for the Wing..there is always the internet vendors that are willing to sell stuff.

#4 ·
I had to go to a few rallies when I first bought my Wing many years ago. I just had to experience what the fuss was all about firsthand. I never could figure out what you were supposed to be getting for your money.

It is no doubt an age thing, at least partially. I am no longer the party animal in my 50s that I was when I was in my 20s. It's nothing I am ashamed of. I just outgrew it.

Daytona Beach, Sturgis, and Lake George are all on my list of places to travel to. But I will plan those trips to make sure I don't visit them during the time of the rallies. Rallies are designed to do one thing, to separate people from their money.

My wife and I are the same way with other trips. We avoid tourist traps. Instead of Myrtle Beach, we go to the Outer Banks instead. Much less crowded, a lot less expensive, and a lot more fun. We won't even follow published travel guides. They should rename them as "places to avoid"

#5 · (Edited)
I had to go to a few rallies when I first bought my Wing many years ago. I just had to experience what the fuss was all about firsthand. I never could figure out what you were supposed to be getting for your money.

It is no doubt an age thing, at least partially. I am no longer the party animal in my 50s that I was when I was in my 20s. Somewhere along the line, I grew up. I guess they are great for people that love traffic jams and feeling like you are stuck in a pen with a herd of cattle.

Daytona Beach, Sturgis, and Lake George are all on my list of places to travel to. But I will plan those trips to make sure I don't visit them during the time of the rallies. Rallies are designed to do one thing, to separate people from their money.

My wife and I are the same way with other trips. We avoid tourist traps. Instead of Myrtle Beach, we go to the Outer Banks instead. Much less crowded, a lot less expensive, and a lot more fun. We won't even follow published travel guides. They should rename them as "places to avoid"

We always went to the Honda Homecoming every year, which was fun, and didn't cost anything, unless you wanted to spend. We also like the regional GWRRA rallies, which are much more relaxing and inviting. The differences between rallies that are created for profit compared to ones that are created out of love for the sport are obvious.

#7 · (Edited)
Mayor Hal, the Daytona Bikeweek HAS changed a lot over the last15-20 years. First of all , I remember seeing all kinds of Goldwingers down there. In fact, there was a really nice vendor area, at the Sunrise Mall in South Daytona on Ridgewood Ave, that had all kinds of nice stuff for Hondas. I bought a Tourmaster 3/4 length coat, at that time named Cortech Lite. And that was around 2000-2002 when textile gear was considered a notch behind the Macho Leather. LOL! Shoot, I still have that jacket and still wear it. It's rainproof too, with an insulted zip-in liner and it flat keeps you warm. You can't find that quality gear at Daytona anymore.Well, you can at Rossmeyer HD, but it costs more than I'm willing to pay. It's not overpriced, it's just TOP Quality gear and you have to pay for that quality.

During the same time I bought the jacket, there were vendors all up and down Ridgewood Ave. Mustang Seats used to have a booth there, and they would take your seat off and put theirs on so you could feel the difference. They did a lot of business too.

Personally, I liked the rally a lot better during those days. Beach Street was alive and kicking with Food, Drinks, and good deals on gear. Bands were always playing to provide entertainment. It was a Fair for adults. LOL. It seems like since Destination Daytona was built, Beach Street has died.

Vendors are being upcharged, and a lot of them don't go anymore, which hurts the folks that go to try to buy something they need.
But rally goers have been upcharged for years. Hotels that were built in the 60's, and even some in the 50's, have long ago been paid off, but they are charging room rates like they were the Waldorf Astoria! And requiring you to book at least five days!

I love Daytona Beach, since I have relatives still down there, and my family used to go there every summer for vacation. But I am afraid that unless this price-gouging is slowed down, that Rally may be seeing it's last few years.

#8 · (Edited)
Not to be Rude !!!

You attend one rally.... you've seen them all.

Same ole stuff and how many different chaps can be on display.

Nothing new, vendors staying home because of the internet and booth cost, Bruce Rossmeyer is not with us any longer. He was a big builder and supporter of Daytona Bike Week.

The age of riders and interest are changing. So things are slowing down. Daytona needs something new to get folks back...

#10 ·
Well, was at Bike Week yesterday. Boy, it's sure not the bike week of old! Traffic was not even worth mentioning, vendors were the same. Very few vendors left selling anything for the little guy. crying:
Hal, I miss when the Wing vendors were at the airport and up the road at the mall. Nothing to attract me now. It's like watching the same movie over and over again.

Reactions: Moderator 2
#11 ·
I rode over and got some lower air wings installed at the F-4 Customs booth and had an antenna coupler replaced with absolutely no hassle from Sierra Electronics booth that I had purchased there last year and for some reason was starting to rust.
Great service from both of these guys. It was a pleasure doing business with them.

#12 ·
The city of Daytona Beach has been working hard the past several years to make it unpleasant for the bikers and the bike vendors, that is one reason why Rossmeyer moved his operation north to Ormond and created Destination Daytona. A lot of vendors and visitors are going there instead of Daytona proper or the speedway, also Orlando Harley does a lot at their location just off I-4 during Bikeweek.

It has been dying ever since 911, the first Biketoberfest and Bikeweek after 911 were possibly the worst attended bike events in Daytona, they have both been going down hill since then.
I have not bothered going up and I am only about 30 miles south, to me it is just not worth the effort.

#13 ·
Steve, that's what the City of Myrtle Beach has done to vendors and participants too. The Rally is now held in Murrells Inlet, SC, ( 15 minutes South ) and in North Myrtle Beach. It really hurt the businesses of Myrtle too. They loved the Bikeweek Crowd. But they were outvoted by the residents there that hated the traffic congestion, which I understand perfectly. The Daytona residents feel the same way as Myrtle Beach residents. They ran out the College Spring Break Crowd. They will eventually run out the Bikeweek Crowd too.

But I can understand residents wanting some relief from traffic, and restaurant, congestion. It's their City, and we are visitors. If we cause them so many problems that we are unliked, they have 100% right to ask us to leave. I don't have a problem with that at all!

Let the Promoters, who really organize and arrange the Event anyway, seek a new venue. And a word to the would-be promoters: Tell hotels and town councils they will NOT stand for Price-gouging on hotel rates and City fees!!! Any lawbreakers of those rules will cause the rally to be moved! NO Exceptions!

G
#14 ·
The problem with hotel/motel price gouging falls on the backs of the rally crowd.
You can't blame the hotel/motel owners for wanting to make more money.
It is no different than going to a race or other professional event and paying $12 for a turkey leg or $6 for a bottled water, etc.
Blame the people who keep paying the inflated costs.

Doug

#18 ·
I personally have no interest in attending any of the rallies that target the Harley crowd. I don't like huge crowds or the traffic and associated racket. I would much rather attend Wingding or a regional GWRRA rally. I quess that is why I ride a GW rather than a Harley, different strokes for different folks....

#20 ·
Well, was at Bike Week yesterday. Boy, it's sure not the bike week of old! Traffic was not even worth mentioning, vendors were the same. Very few vendors left selling anything for the little guy. If you wanted to buy a trike or a seat or a few lights or trinkets, that was about it. (Mostly Harley stuff to boot) I bet that there wasn't any more than 40 or so vendors. I truly believe that bike week is getting smaller and smaller and just may be on its way out! JMHO! The weather certainly hasn't cooperated this spring either.
As Uncle John posted, it's pretty hard to get any deals when the vendors are getting priced out of the grounds of the Daytona Speedway!
Downtown may still be somewhat of an attraction as is Destination Daytona but as far as the rest of it...not so much. :crying:
We where there last week, it was our 1st time & prob the last, w/ bike wk & spring break going on the kids in the hotel where DRUNK all nite making noise as well as making a mess in the halls.
I was w/ the Blue Knights & WARNED a bunch that you guys better cool it because tomorrow morning there w/ be about 150 cops here @ the hotel who are doing a ride & a luncheon so if you want to go to the "Gray Bar Hotel" just keep up w/ the BS & we'll set up a bus ride up for free..!!!! they agreed to be cool or else.!!! lol lol:wink2:

#24 ·
A

Others state it is too crowded and they don't go because of that. Sparse attendance or overcrowded, you get what you want out of an event and enjoy or don't enjoy based on your views - all observations (opinions) are great - while I despise the following, I see it fits - IT IS WHAT IT IS...

RIDE ON SIR....

#25 ·
It was okay.... It is certainly changing, that's for sure. I was really surprised to see The Outlaws sporting their colors. I thought that was a no-no. Got what I went down for and that was an Iron Horse Saloon Long sleeve T-shirt. Got some new Veterans coins to replace the Honda logo in the fairing. My favorite Mexican Restaurant was still open on Beach St. so mission accomplished.

G
#26 ·
" I was really surprised to see The Outlaws sporting their colors"

Although I do not know the City of Daytonas's laws or ordinances, there may not be anything against wearing colors on the streets.
The issue/violation is when any motorcycle club wears their colors in the bars.etc.
That also includes Christian clubs, Police clubs, ABATE, essentially all clubs who wear colors.

Doug

#27 ·
I've never been to Bike week but I have been to a couple of rallies. I didn't care much for it. If you want crowds and traffic there are a few around the country that will give you just that. I may try one that is specific to Goldwings but most of them are for the HOG rider. As for adult stuff..... most of what you see at those things are pretty old and saggy... I think I'll just ride.

#32 ·
Sorry if I'm bringing up an old thread, but I was just watching you tube videos of bike week, and between the arrest of a guy on an ADV bike doing a burnout and the above mentioned "eye candy???", it looks like a place I'd be staying away from. Drink-ride-jail isn't something I want to try. There were some very nice looking ladies there too but man what some folks choose to put in they're videos' for post is too much. Did you see the "BOSS HOSS" one?? There were a lot of cylinders leaving that parking lot. WOW.

#34 ·
I went to Daytona, this year, for a specific purpose. (To get and install a new F4 windshield) I went on the first Friday. The weather was great, but the crowd was quite small. I went for several years, (2008-2012) and the crowds were much larger, and more fun to watch. Still, it was mostly HD centered. All I really saw this year was a lot of women that may have looked fine in their fishnets, short-shorts and leather bras, 40 years ago!!! Now...not so much! My gosh, they were like...MY AGE!

G
#35 ·
As I put in a prior post...

"Just nothin like a 60 year old woman, 50# overweight, tanned to the point she looks like a dried up ham, in a tank top, and daisy dukes, that struts around convinced she is drop dead gorgeous." :grin2:

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.