Daytona Bike Week - GL1800Riders
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Unhappy Daytona Bike Week

Well, was at Bike Week yesterday. Boy, it's sure not the bike week of old! Traffic was not even worth mentioning, vendors were the same. Very few vendors left selling anything for the little guy. If you wanted to buy a trike or a seat or a few lights or trinkets, that was about it. (Mostly Harley stuff to boot) I bet that there wasn't any more than 40 or so vendors. I truly believe that bike week is getting smaller and smaller and just may be on its way out! JMHO! The weather certainly hasn't cooperated this spring either.
As Uncle John posted, it's pretty hard to get any deals when the vendors are getting priced out of the grounds of the Daytona Speedway!
Downtown may still be somewhat of an attraction as is Destination Daytona but as far as the rest of it...not so much.

Florida Prowler #23
DS#933 - 100,000 (smiles)
2008 Pearl White GL1800A Canada
2012 Pearl White GL1800A USA
ATGATT
All The Gear All The Time

Keep the shiny side up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Haven't been to a M/C ralley in years. Think my last was a Honda Hoot. Did try a couple GWRRA events and a couple Americades. But as stated, Daytona to me seems to be more of a Harley fest. Really don't like big crowds anyway. If I need trinkets for the Wing..there is always the internet vendors that are willing to sell stuff.

2008-HPNA (RED)
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:27 AM
ADMIN - Mod2

+1
... went Saturday

..... even my favorite sausage sandwich vendor of 20 years was gone.

Dennis

....Life....

The problem with closed-minded people is that their mouths are always open.

";;;;;;;;;
{}
( ~ )

in the end,
we will not remember the words of our enemies
but rather,
the silence of our friends.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Seasoned Member

I had to go to a few rallies when I first bought my Wing many years ago. I just had to experience what the fuss was all about firsthand. I never could figure out what you were supposed to be getting for your money.

It is no doubt an age thing, at least partially. I am no longer the party animal in my 50s that I was when I was in my 20s. It's nothing I am ashamed of. I just outgrew it.

Daytona Beach, Sturgis, and Lake George are all on my list of places to travel to. But I will plan those trips to make sure I don't visit them during the time of the rallies. Rallies are designed to do one thing, to separate people from their money.

My wife and I are the same way with other trips. We avoid tourist traps. Instead of Myrtle Beach, we go to the Outer Banks instead. Much less crowded, a lot less expensive, and a lot more fun. We won't even follow published travel guides. They should rename them as "places to avoid"
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Member

I had to go to a few rallies when I first bought my Wing many years ago. I just had to experience what the fuss was all about firsthand. I never could figure out what you were supposed to be getting for your money.

It is no doubt an age thing, at least partially. I am no longer the party animal in my 50s that I was when I was in my 20s. Somewhere along the line, I grew up. I guess they are great for people that love traffic jams and feeling like you are stuck in a pen with a herd of cattle.

Daytona Beach, Sturgis, and Lake George are all on my list of places to travel to. But I will plan those trips to make sure I don't visit them during the time of the rallies. Rallies are designed to do one thing, to separate people from their money.

My wife and I are the same way with other trips. We avoid tourist traps. Instead of Myrtle Beach, we go to the Outer Banks instead. Much less crowded, a lot less expensive, and a lot more fun. We won't even follow published travel guides. They should rename them as "places to avoid"

We always went to the Honda Homecoming every year, which was fun, and didn't cost anything, unless you wanted to spend. We also like the regional GWRRA rallies, which are much more relaxing and inviting. The differences between rallies that are created for profit compared to ones that are created out of love for the sport are obvious.

Last edited by Sparky57; 03-16-2017 at 10:33 AM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Seasoned Member

I was at Daytona Beach yesterday and appreciated the thinner traffic. The cool air was nice too. I found plenty to look at. Bought a beer and a hamburger and a couple of tanks of fuel to get there and back home.

Provinge likes this.

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Mayor Hal, the Daytona Bikeweek HAS changed a lot over the last15-20 years. First of all , I remember seeing all kinds of Goldwingers down there. In fact, there was a really nice vendor area, at the Sunrise Mall in South Daytona on Ridgewood Ave, that had all kinds of nice stuff for Hondas. I bought a Tourmaster 3/4 length coat, at that time named Cortech Lite. And that was around 2000-2002 when textile gear was considered a notch behind the Macho Leather. LOL! Shoot, I still have that jacket and still wear it. It's rainproof too, with an insulted zip-in liner and it flat keeps you warm. You can't find that quality gear at Daytona anymore.Well, you can at Rossmeyer HD, but it costs more than I'm willing to pay. It's not overpriced, it's just TOP Quality gear and you have to pay for that quality.

During the same time I bought the jacket, there were vendors all up and down Ridgewood Ave. Mustang Seats used to have a booth there, and they would take your seat off and put theirs on so you could feel the difference. They did a lot of business too.

Personally, I liked the rally a lot better during those days. Beach Street was alive and kicking with Food, Drinks, and good deals on gear. Bands were always playing to provide entertainment. It was a Fair for adults. LOL. It seems like since Destination Daytona was built, Beach Street has died.

Vendors are being upcharged, and a lot of them don't go anymore, which hurts the folks that go to try to buy something they need.
But rally goers have been upcharged for years. Hotels that were built in the 60's, and even some in the 50's, have long ago been paid off, but they are charging room rates like they were the Waldorf Astoria! And requiring you to book at least five days!

I love Daytona Beach, since I have relatives still down there, and my family used to go there every summer for vacation. But I am afraid that unless this price-gouging is slowed down, that Rally may be seeing it's last few years.

Last edited by GOV5; 03-17-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: speeling
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Cool Not to be Rude !!!

You attend one rally.... you've seen them all.

Same ole stuff and how many different chaps can be on display.

Nothing new, vendors staying home because of the internet and booth cost, Bruce Rossmeyer is not with us any longer. He was a big builder and supporter of Daytona Bike Week.

The age of riders and interest are changing. So things are slowing down. Daytona needs something new to get folks back...

Thanks,
Me !!
Florida Prowler # 08

Living the Good Life... RETIRED !!!

No Where to be and ALL Day to get there....

Last edited by Whisper Jet; 03-17-2017 at 05:08 PM.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Never been to a rally in Daytona or anywhere else for that matter.
To many people.
Too many posers.
I am a tight a** with my money also.
Sounds like I am not missing anything.

Doug
WVGuy likes this.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Last edited by flat6bagger; 03-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Hal View Post
Well, was at Bike Week yesterday. Boy, it's sure not the bike week of old! Traffic was not even worth mentioning, vendors were the same. Very few vendors left selling anything for the little guy. crying:
Hal, I miss when the Wing vendors were at the airport and up the road at the mall. Nothing to attract me now. It's like watching the same movie over and over again.
Moderator 2 likes this.

I find I have a lot of free time, or did I just forget what I had to do.
U.S. Naval Cryptologic Veterns Association.
IBA# 33529
Florida Prowler #67
LES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page