The answer to my long time problem. - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
I never considered the riding position to be optimum with the GL1800, but I'll take it and I always carry Advil whenever I ride.

Allen
Aleve seems to work better for me. I always carry it when I ride. Those foreign cars with the seats close to the floor are torture machines!

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks for all the comments. Replies to some:

X-Ray shows that it is bone on bone, so surgery is indicated (I've worked in healthcare my whole life and I know the system)
Pain is not a level 10 all the time, rather like a chronic tooth ache. Sure, I can live with it, but why when it can be fixed.
Not just a riding pain. Haven't ridden since December due to the weather, but it hurts every day: Car, chair, or walking.
Doc. is one of the top notch in the Albany, NY area. Does 8 of these a day, two days a week.
My wife has already told me she is going to ride my butt to do the rehab as I'm told to. Don't want to argue with her!!!
I'll report back on the surgery after May 1st.
Hoping now that I'll get a little riding time in before surgery in April either on the Wing or the Shadow!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Both hips replaced, fear not, you'll be almost as good as new.

Prowler #93
Korean Veteran
2005 Winger, 2012 Road Smith
Cobra Trike Tire
Native Floridian

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddpole View Post
I had similar surgery almost 23 years ago (at age 33!). I would say that my pre-surgery experience was similar. If I sat with my feet out in front and my shoulders behind my hips (like in a car), I was in pain pretty quickly. If I sat upright (shoulders over hips, hips over feet) like my riding position on my GL1200, I was OK for a considerably longer period of time.
That explains perfectly why the car seats cause pain so quickly. So feet out in front and shoulders behind hips. As said, I can sit on the Wing or anywhere in my home like right now in front of this computer without pain. In 10 minutes I will have sciatica in the car. So any ideas on how to alienate the posture position in the car? I have tried cushions, back rolls, etc. I guess I will make sure the back part of the seat is as far forward as possible today for starters to see if that helps. Pain sucks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 Titanium ABS Airbag
Mega Monty - Heli Bars
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

I had my left hip done in Nov.2015. It was the best thing that happened to me in years. I went for my first ride 60 days post-op... I probably could have rode sooner, but I wasn't in any hurry. What I did though about a few weeks before I took that first ride was, just practiced climbing on my bike, and just sitting there in the garage, getting comfy again... I got to where I could sit a half-hour or so no problem... Then one day I took it off the center-stand, fiddled with it a bit, practiced putting my kick-stand up and down, and just holding the bike, and getting a good feel again. Then one quiet day in my neighborhood, I just took off... ended up in the mountains that day... It felt great... and I've never looked back.

I really never mentioned, nor asked the doc about riding or driving, as he told me early on I'd know when its time, as long as I did the therapy, and walked alot. Of course that's between you and your doc... You'll all know.

I can now walk indefinitely... with no pain. You will too!!! I'm sure. Life is only going to get better. I'm now 54, and can do things again I haven't done in 10yrs..

Good for you, and good luck with it.

Last edited by DGrant; 03-20-2017 at 02:10 PM.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Member

There are many contributing factors for and to low back/sciatic/hip issues, A contributing factor in particular for many folks is the Gold Wing itself. By design it's very wide. It has a wide seat and requires ones knees and feet be situated very far apart. Hips are splayed causing stress on hips, core and pelvic muscles, and the lower back. It's not natural for any human to stand, walk, or sit for any period of time with their knees and feet 18-20 inches apart. Simple ergonomics. It is what it is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Me and Sweet Irene
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Just a FYI here, not only is it important to pick an experienced doc, but equally important is the type of procedure he/she preforms. ie. invasive or less invasive. Cutting through the large muscles is NOT the way to go. Seems the best way is incision through the front part of the leg.
Road Runner and Risky like this.

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Anterior approach

Doc said that the incision will be 3-4 inches long right under my front pants pocket. Muscles there just have to be spread apart to get to the bone, not cut as in the posterior/anterior approach. Lie flat and push down under your front pants pocket, dig around a bit and you'll feel the bone very easily. A lot easier than going in through the back or side.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page