The answer to my long time problem. - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

The answer to my long time problem.

I mentioned on here a month or so ago that I was just told I need a right hip replacement. Now that that has sunken in, I've been thinking about the last ten years or so (my surgeon old me that my problem probably started 10 years ago). I started to notice right thigh and buttock pain on my 1500 which I sold in 2012 when I got my 2008 1800. I had thought that the 1500's seat was shot. Then I started doing long distances on the 1800 and noticed the same pain and thought that it was funny. Last fall I realized that the leg was cramping after only 15 or so miles and that I would let my right leg dangle at times (I know, not the smartest thing to do).

Now I realize that all this discomfort was probably due to the hip joint going south. Surgery is May 1st, and I'm hoping to be riding fully again by the middle of June at which time I hope all this riding discomfort is gone! I'm already starting to plan some late summer/fall long tours.

We'll see how it goes!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Best of luck to you Risky. I hope all goes well and you are back in the saddle real soon. Please let us know how you're doing post-surgery and how quickly you get back to riding. Others of us could be facing the same thing and it would be good to know what to expect.

-- Jim --

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I am suffering from pain like you describe but have associated it with sciatica. Pain that shoots down your leg starting at your butt when sitting. Oddly enough I have the problem more driving in my truck and car than on my bike or sitting in a chair. I think it is the bucket type seat that does me in. I get those extremely painful cramps too your describing when I first get on the bike after not being on it for awhile. You have to let your leg dangle or stand up on the pegs real quick to get it to go away. Sounds similar but never thought of a bad hip. Good Luck with your surgery!

2008 Titanium ABS Airbag
Mega Monty - Heli Bars

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Good luck to you Risky. When all is done, and therapy is over, you will say it was the smartest decision you ever made, and wonder why you waited so long
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Hey Risky , hang in there buddy. I know several guys that have had this procedure and they are back in the saddle. Do the rehab work and then some and you will be rewarded with a pain free ride. Good luck.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Oh oh now u guys are getting me worried ! Iced been experiencing what seems like very similar leg cramps for quite a few years, all this time thought I was just getting old.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
Oh oh now u guys are getting me worried ! Iced been experiencing what seems like very similar leg cramps for quite a few years, all this time thought I was just getting old.
Martin, better listen to Cycledude. I think he is onto something. I know it sure applies to me.

Good luck with the surgery and do the therapy. It makes a difference.

Al

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Member

My wife has had both hips replaced (and 1 knee). In her case, the hip pain was bad enough that it interfered with her walking, she had to use a cain. Now, no pain, no crutches, no issues. She doesn't ride though.

My point being, if you are experiencing issues and it is only when riding I'd look at something with the riding but if the pain exists when doing other things (waking, sleeping, walking stairs, running, swimming, pretty much any major activity) then I'd suspect that there may be issues with your joints.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
I mentioned on here a month or so ago that I was just told I need a right hip replacement. Now that that has sunken in, I've been thinking about the last ten years or so (my surgeon old me that my problem probably started 10 years ago). I started to notice right thigh and buttock pain on my 1500 which I sold in 2012 when I got my 2008 1800. I had thought that the 1500's seat was shot. Then I started doing long distances on the 1800 and noticed the same pain and thought that it was funny. Last fall I realized that the leg was cramping after only 15 or so miles and that I would let my right leg dangle at times (I know, not the smartest thing to do).

Now I realize that all this discomfort was probably due to the hip joint going south. Surgery is May 1st, and I'm hoping to be riding fully again by the middle of June at which time I hope all this riding discomfort is gone! I'm already starting to plan some late summer/fall long tours.

We'll see how it goes!

It took me 10 weeks to recover enough to ride after my right knee replacement. I'm going to schedule the second knee for October, so I can get some riding in. The right knee prevented me from driving my cage. The left knee keeps my bike rides down to 15 minutes or so. Your thigh and buttock pain resemble my pain. I sure hope it doesn't mean I need a hip replacement, too.

Good luck and a speedy recovery from your surgery!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Just a "thought" here, I don't know if this will help you or not but I was experiencing the same thing on long'er rides so what I did was to pick up a soft cushion and placed it on top of my stock m/cycle seat................Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa what a relief this idea has been, I can now ride much longer, w/o fataige butt pain, or sore spots.......

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page