Reminder about Kuryakyn Transformer passenger footboards - GL1800Riders
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Reminder about Kuryakyn Transformer passenger footboards

Like the title says - a reminder to folks that have the Kuryakyn Transformer style passenger foot boards. These mounts were subject of a NHTSA safety recall several years ago, and it does not have an expiration date on the recall. On my recent trip down to Florida, noticed a couple of our riders still had the old mounts for their transformer floorboards. Showed them the difference between the old and new mounts, and figured there were probably others here on the board with the same issue.

So I'm reposting a post of mine from a couple of years ago to help y'all determine if you have the old style mounts. Hope it helps someone....

Ken, I'm late to this thread, but for you and any others that may be following it, here's a couple of pics to help y'all determine if you have the old version of the Transformer rear passenger floorboard mounts, or the new ones. I've ordered several of these replacement mounts for other riders (and my own bike). Just ordered a set last week in fact. When you call them, let them know your bike was being worked on and the mech noticed a crack in your floorboard mount, and informed you there was a recall for them. Kury will send out a replacement set without a hassle.

The old ones have a straight across lower section to the mount ...

The new revised mounts curve upward at the rear (again on the lower edge) ...

shojac likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Member

I have a set of those and not sure if they're the newer version or not since I'll have to go look, but do you have a link or something where I can go to look at the recall notice?
Thanks, Steve F

Darksider #1358 Michelin Alpin 195/55-16
Watch these, America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGLbXXaEgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjNBvupzUM
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
I have a set of those and not sure if they're the newer version or not since I'll have to go look, but do you have a link or something where I can go to look at the recall notice?
Thanks, Steve F

FYI

Re: NHTSA #11E-054

Dear Kuryakyn Customer,

This recall notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and
Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Kuryakyn Holdings, LLC (“Kuryakyn”) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle
safety exists with Kuryakyn® TransformerTM Passenger floorboards (Kuryakyn part no. 7005)
when installed on certain Honda GL 1800 motorcycles. These floorboards (floorboards
manufactured and sold between 9/15/2008 and 12/1/2011) have a mounting piece that connects
the floorboards to the motorcycle frame that may crack and separate from the mounting bolts.
The consequence of this condition is that the passenger floorboard may separate from the
motorcycle when a passenger puts his or her full weight on the floorboard, such as when
mounting or dismounting the motorcycle. If you purchased your Kuryakyn® TransformerTM
Passenger floorboards (Kuryakyn part no. 7005) between 9/15/2008 and 12/2/2011, you are
advised to immediately discontinue use of the Transformer passenger floorboards. Kuryakyn is
redesigning the mounting piece and will have replacement mount kits available on or around
April 1, 2012 at no charge to you.
Please contact Kuryakyn customer service at 1-866-296-4728 to register for your replacement or
send an e-mail to
js@kuryakyn.com. A Kuryakyn representative will arrange for prompt
attention to your replacement mount kit.

If you no longer have the motorcycle described in this letter, please help us to update our records by
contacting
js@kuryakyn.com. Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall
notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

We regret any inconvenience that this action may cause you. However, we are concerned about
your safety. If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect by providing you with a
replacement mount kit at no charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written
complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New
Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590, or call 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or
go to
http://www.safercar.gov. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Kuryakyn Holdings Customer Service

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

First Iv'e seen of this. Do you get the complete set or just the mounting components? Either way I'll be replacing mine.

2008 Metallic Red ABS
2010 Hannigan Sierra Trailer
Livin' on the DARKSIDE!
Proud Dad
Finally back in TEXAS
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTexan View Post
First Iv'e seen of this. Do you get the complete set or just the mounting components? Either way I'll be replacing mine.
Just the part of the mount that connects the running board to the bike...

This is a photo of the left passenger transformer. The bracket on the left is being replaced by Kuryakan. Notice the installed replacement bracket on the right is thicker more robust.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks ssncob. Would have been nice to get the complete set, I have one of the sets where the chrome is less than ideal. Thinking about going back to stock, my wife doesn't use the raised position anyway. Will get the new mount just in case I keep it.

2008 Metallic Red ABS
2010 Hannigan Sierra Trailer
Livin' on the DARKSIDE!
Proud Dad
Finally back in TEXAS
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Seasoned Member

I don't like these because of the possibility of the passengers foot sliding forward while the peg is in the raised position. Even in a slow speed tip over that could trap their foot in a non moveable stirrup causing an ankle injury or even a break. I sold mine and went with a Wingleader/Addon unit that has an inboard mounted peg riser.

RIP BEVERLY
2008 Titanium,1999 Valkyrie Tourer
2005 Bushtec Quantum GL
Darksider #62
AMA Life Member
Patriot Guard Rider
Florida Honorary Prowler #70
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

recall

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ards/index.htm

Better to travel the right road alone than follow a crowd going the wrong direction.

Managers do things right, Leaders do the right thing!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnordt04 View Post
I don't like these because of the possibility of the passengers foot sliding forward while the peg is in the raised position. Even in a slow speed tip over that could trap their foot in a non moveable stirrup causing an ankle injury or even a break. I sold mine and went with a Wingleader/Addon unit that has an inboard mounted peg riser.
+1. Not really a great design. I know two people who have had their feet trapped. Luckily very minor injury.

2005 Black Cherry
2007 Aspen Classic
1969 Triumph 500 Daytona
Mid-Missouri
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Italian Stallion
I'm sure that the ones I purchased were before the '08 manufacturing window dates for that recall.

That being said, my wife mounts the bike, with me on the side watching, by placing her weight on the rider's pegs and handlebars and then sliding back to the pillion seat, before placing her feet on the boards, so, she never put her entire weight on the boards.

I then get on after she's set. On dismounts, I get off first and then she swings her right leg over the empty front seat and, with my assistance, slides off the bike.

For you safety Nazis, who may think that the bike may slide forward, we've been doing this procedure since 1988 with our then '88 Wing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page