New Helmet Recommendation - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufasim View Post
Don't be afraid to try on Shoei. I just bought 3 of them. Last fall I got the urge to try a modular helmet. Went to cycle gear and tried on the Neotc. Fit great and felt comfortable. Found it on line for a bit less. There is some wind noise, especially with the vents open, but hey, we ride motorcycles. And compared to using a half helmet with a neck curtain, very quiet. That half helmet was getting up in years so I thought it time for a new open face helmet also. Cycle gear doesn't have the rj Platinum on the shelf so I took a chance and bought one on line on sale with the thought of returning it if it didn't feel like the Neotec. Lets say I still have it. Haven't used it on the street yet but I have high hopes. My wife liked the RJ so I had to buy her one too.
My point is if you want to try on a shoei 3/4 helmet but there is none on the shelf, try on the Neotec and keep the face shield up. That is how the RJ Platinum will feel.
Shoei Neotech modular is the way to go with ed sets installed, don't have to worry about batteries. You will need to buy one size down from other helmets i have found out. i spent nearly 900.00 and after it broke in i should of ordered an xl instead of an xxl. Excellent helmet for long trips and in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Shoei Neotec
GoingGrey likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:14 PM

I have an older wing. An 89-1500. I got the SENA #5 It has blue tooth for my phone, but I don't believe there is any way to hook it up to my sound system on my older wing. Planning a trip to N. England from N.E. Ohio this summer with my son. I don't have a smart phone for music, and would rather not use my speakers when wanting to hear the radio. Is there a way?

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:05 AM
Seasoned Member

As was discussed here a couple months ago I like the Gmax helmets. Very lightweight and as comfortable as a favourite baseball hat. Price is right. Looks good with the Goldwing touring ride style. Nice recessed pocket area to mount your own speakers. Flip down sun visor. Easily removed and mounted clear shield, we don't bother using the included shields because we feel it's unnecessary with the Wings wind protection. There's also an optional chin guard to make it full faced if you like, purchased separately. We also have full face modular helmets but my wife feels claustrophobic wearing any full face helmet, especially on the hot summer days. We both give the Gmax thumbs up.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...alID=EBAY-ENCA
doug of no fl likes this.

2008 gl1800 black abs, comfort pkg., nav, cb.
Kuryakyn centrefold (not my idea).

motorcyclist not a biker.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Helmets are all about fit. That is the main thing, the most important thing, and,,,,,,,,,,,,well, you get it. Sounds like you have a good idea of what you like. I always wore a FF, and was glad I did during a rag doll down the highway a couple of years ago.

Get some 22-26 db reducing ear plugs. You,ll hear your surroundings better and have less fatigue at the end of the day.

You may be outdated on your BT info. SENA makes several models that have gone 18 hours. Plug it in when you go to the restroom or eat. That will lengthen the use time a lot. There are several models of the SENA and several of other models that ere probably just as good.

Honda direct wire plug in is very good as well.

Happy shopping and good luck.

Cheers and Good Riding, Keith
DROP, FALL, AND DOWN ARE 4 LETTER WORDS
I, my typing, and spelling are far from perfect. Get over it.

Last edited by TXREALTOR; 03-19-2017 at 10:32 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

For the class of helmet you are looking at don't forget to check out Schuberth. I left my Shoei for a Schuberth and never looked back!!! Helmets are personal. Just find what fits you best. You can't go wrong with any brand you are looking at!!!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Shoei or Arai are about the best.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
I would like to hear more about this 'New' Wing. You may be getting the cart before the horse.
Me to, I'd like to hear about this "new Wing", don't hold your breath too long waiting for Honda to up-date w/ a 6 speed trans, a new design of the GL, new & bigger motor, somebody wake me up, this dream I'm having is UN-REAL!!!!!

Pat G
2004 Black Wing w 109 K mi, Ridin on an Ultimate Seat, the best there is....
2013 Harley Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo+ 2
AMA #5181144
GWBBA # 48
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173, North Jersey
Darksider # 494 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA 3 195 55 16 put to rest 5/7/16
Kuhmo Ecsta PA31 195/60/16 NR flat in service 5/7/16
*RETIRED & LUVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT*
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt(BCNV) View Post
I always used a 3/4 helmet.... having said that and after seeing multiple wings go "down" I opted for a full face "flip" up , I didn't think I would like it at first but having it fully intergrated with speakers I will NEVER use a 3/4 helmet again,,,,, that helmet is comfortable and cool in summer and warm in winter ..... you can ride or 3/4 wise in town then full fave on hi way it's a joy with minimal wind noise and total comfort... the choice is yours my friend...

Mattbcnv

I agree. I just went back to an HJC modular, with the sun shield that drops down. I fitted my Sena 10. I fits so well, and the speakers fit so that the sound is excellent. Much cooler and quieter than my Shoei 3/4. I wear ear plugs to block wind noise, but the sound of the Sena speakers is just fine. I had an older version of the HJC before, and used it for several long trips. Then I dropped it, (badly), while 800 miles from home. So I bought another helmet to get me home, but it was actually too big for me. I tried a couple other helmet, and spent too much money. I got a great price on this HJC, and I realized how much I like this helmet. (Not to mention it was about $400 less than the 3/4 Shoei)

G.Carson

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBendTX View Post
For the class of helmet you are looking at don't forget to check out Schuberth. I left my Shoei for a Schuberth and never looked back!!! Helmets are personal. Just find what fits you best. You can't go wrong with any brand you are looking at!!!
+1...Blackfoot Moto-Sport...very likely in-stock...M1
BigBendTX likes this.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page