New Helmet Recommendation - GL1800Riders
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Red face New Helmet Recommendation

I haven't ridden for some time but now that Honda is finally releasing a more up to date Gold Wing I'm looking at getting back into it. BUT, I will need a helmet and will need to have one with audio.

My preference is a 3/4 helmet. In the past I had an Arai and also had a Shoei. I found the Arai offered better wind protection and was really comfortable except it was a bit low on the back of the neck. The Shoei was noisier but seemed to fit well as well. However, on a longer days I certainly preferred the Arai. I also had purchased a clip on face shield for rainy days otherwise I prefer not to have the shield.

Finally, I ride long days sometimes so would have the helmet on for 16 hours. I think I'd prefer wireless but generally BT doesn't seem to last that long although if I could go BT most of the time but also be able to plug in when the battery died I'd be OK with that (preference would be that when I plugged in, the battery would charge as well).

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Sounds like you would be able to wear the Arai for a long day but maybe not the Shoei. Between the two I would choose the one that fits best that will be comfortable all day.

Decide whether you want Bluetooth or wired connections. Then I would contact Sierra Electronics and see if they have the right size helmet and will install the headphone system of your preference.
jsrinhsv likes this.

Harvey
04 GL1800
Ride Safe and Ride Often
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:27 PM
Seasoned Member

For fit and comfort I think you cant beat the ARAI IMO I have 2 full face and looking to by my third soon

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

I would like to hear more about this 'New' Wing. You may be getting the cart before the horse.
Cajunhog, Bluecyclone and JMartin like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Member

I would wait until you buy that updated wing..... maybe by then all the helmet manufactures will have all new helmets.

I don't have one yet..... but I really like the features in the Arai. Especially the fact they have both a face shield and peak visor at the same time. ..... I need to find a shop that stocks these so I can try them on for myself. ...... but I live in a dusty village with no such shops.
jsrinhsv likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Sounds like you kind of made up your own mind. Go to Cycle Gear and try on as many Arai helmets you want. As for audio, does Arai have one with it built in? Don't fret if they don't. Can always add something. Sena makes probably the most popular headset. Simply attach a unit to the side of your helmet and you can listen to the music from your phone. Their latest is the 20S. You can also make and receive calls. Add a Freewire from Sena and you can listen to the music from the radio on the bike as well as the nav system with out hooking up any wires to your helmet. If you use a cb, that can also be used via bluetooth. If you don't use a cb, you can get the Sena sm10 bluetooth unit and save a few bucks. Will do everything else the Freewire does.
jsrinhsv likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Would be nice to get a "new" wing. I'll believe it when I see it Also current wings are pretty nice rides

Shoei and Arai helmets are pretty awesome. I always wear full face helmets myself but if I was ever tempted by a 3/4 helmet it my be for an Arai CTZ!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Don't be afraid to try on Shoei. I just bought 3 of them. Last fall I got the urge to try a modular helmet. Went to cycle gear and tried on the Neotc. Fit great and felt comfortable. Found it on line for a bit less. There is some wind noise, especially with the vents open, but hey, we ride motorcycles. And compared to using a half helmet with a neck curtain, very quiet. That half helmet was getting up in years so I thought it time for a new open face helmet also. Cycle gear doesn't have the rj Platinum on the shelf so I took a chance and bought one on line on sale with the thought of returning it if it didn't feel like the Neotec. Lets say I still have it. Haven't used it on the street yet but I have high hopes. My wife liked the RJ so I had to buy her one too.
My point is if you want to try on a shoei 3/4 helmet but there is none on the shelf, try on the Neotec and keep the face shield up. That is how the RJ Platinum will feel.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Well, I already have 2 flip helmets and 2 Arai full face helmets but I've found, for a bike like the Wing I prefer 3/4.

As far as a "new wing", we'll have to see although my sources (Honda reps & mechanics) seem to feel that a new one will be coming out. If not, I'll likely go with a BMW.

In either case, yes, I'll be getting the bike first, then trying out helmets and seeing what fits but I wanted to get some suggestions first.

Thanks folks.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 PM
10 year Member

I always used a 3/4 helmet.... having said that and after seeing multiple wings go "down" I opted for a full face "flip" up , I didn't think I would like it at first but having it fully intergrated with speakers I will NEVER use a 3/4 helmet again,,,,, that helmet is comfortable and cool in summer and warm in winter ..... you can ride or 3/4 wise in town then full fave on hi way it's a joy with minimal wind noise and total comfort... the choice is yours my friend...

Mattbcnv

2007 Black Cherry Airbag*
2008 Black Cherry Motortrike
*Traxxion~Mega
LIMNCS #74
DS #925
“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” -John Wayne
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page