Why are my photos posting upside down? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
I can spell. I just do not proof read anything before I hit submit ,,, and my spell checker hates me .
I think Your spell checker had a birthday in the last week or so.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Seasoned Member

I don't believe the fix is as simple as transferring the file to a photo editor, correctly orientating the picture, rewriting it over the original and then posting to the forum. I recently posted four pictures. I used "the fix" (copying the files from my phone to a photo editor to make sure they were positioned correctly) before posting, but yet two of the four pictures showed up on the forum rotated 90 degrees. I went back to the original pictures, redid exactly what I did the first time then went to the posting here to edit out the two rotated ones and replaced them. I had no success. Not being one to give up easily, I went back and tried the exact same procedure one more time and finally the pictures were in the correct position. I'm using the photo editor on an Asus Chromebook. There has to be a better solution.

Jack
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbc212 View Post
I don't believe the fix is as simple as transferring the file to a photo editor, correctly orientating the picture, rewriting it over the original and then posting to the forum.
I do this regularly using Paint on Windows. I've never had the problem with photos taken on my Android (Motorola Droid Turbo), but I've had to do it to many of the photos from my wife's iPhone. I've even downloaded other members photos, rotated, saved, and re-posted for them.

Perhaps the software on your Chromebook has a "third-time's-a-charm" feature?

Just sayin'

Jim
jlbc212 likes this.

2013 Honda F6B
2008 Honda Nighthawk 250 (Teaching my daughter to ride).
www.RydePyrat.com

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoe View Post
Most of the pictures I post are taken with a 10 mega pixel camera.
Before I post them, I modify them using a program called IrfanView. It allows me to change the size of the file, orientation, and add any effects etc.... I save the modified file in a separate folder so I always have the original file to go back to.

Rayjoe
+1

Irfanview is the best free photo editor/viewer in the world. I'm an IT guy and I've been using this program for over a decade. One of my favorite features is the ability to simply press the spacebar to quickly go through a zillion photos, then hit ESC to exit the program when done. Very fast, simple to use, and FREE!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
I do this regularly using Paint on Windows. I've never had the problem with photos taken on my Android (Motorola Droid Turbo), but I've had to do it to many of the photos from my wife's iPhone. I've even downloaded other members photos, rotated, saved, and re-posted for them.

Perhaps the software on your Chromebook has a "third-time's-a-charm" feature?

Just sayin'

Jim
**** Jim, we even have the same cell phone! That Droid Turbo has one awesome camera, huh?
Actually I just got an iPhone 7 Plus a week ago so the droid is now a backup.

Good to see you here buddy. Hopefully the tyrants from the f6briders forum won't find us here.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes, I think it might also be a viewing issue with a browser. Some are seeing the picture correctly while others are not.

Maybe the browser loaded the thread without getting all of the "how to display" background data and the picture does not load right. When revisiting the same page the browser doesn't bother to refresh, just reuses the cached file from history so the bad view comes up again. Try refresh view or clearing history. Might help. Might not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Considering that most, if not all of us grew up in an analog world, where there was a definite up vs down, the concept of digital photography can be a bit disorienting for anyone who is only a casual user of computers. It's kind of like traveling in a spacecraft. Which way is really up?

Just like word processors, some aspects of cameras don't have defined standards that everyone follows, so software writers often circumvent their poorly written software by manipulating the incorrectly oriented image after the fact, which just makes things worse. They think they can manipulate images through software to solve every problem. The problem exists with many cameras, mostly smartphones, but the iPhone has always been notorious for orientation problems. This might be due to the fact that the iPhone has always been marketed as a portrait camera. You might be able to get around the problem by installing a 3rd party camera app rather than using the default app that comes with the camera.

If all software was written properly, the bottom of the image would always be the bottom when the photo was saved. But some cameras don't change the orientation of the image sensor's axis when you rotate your camera. The software merely edits the Exif data to show that the image was rotated. That creates a ton of problems as the OP has found. This scheme relies on the assumption that all software will open the image, read the Exif data and rotate the image.

To make matters worse, not all image editing software is created equal. Some are written as poorly as the camera software. Basic editors only rotate the image and edit the Exif data. That is not true editing. This scheme makes it look correct on your computer, but doesn't make it universally correct on all software, including the web, because it is still a rotated image. Sometimes it solves the problem, and sometimes it doesn't.

Editing an image's orientation involves actually redrawing the picture to match what is being displayed, and then deleting the Exif orientation data, or re-writing it as bottom-bottom. Even the most basic image viewer will always open this image correctly, because it can be displayed in its native orientation without manipulation. Learn how to open an image's metadata properties to find out what your software is doing when it rotates an image.

Irfanview was mentioned earlier. This is a great, true photo editor, for both beginners and experts, and it is free, without ads or malware as long as you download it direct from Irfanview. It is easy to learn, and fairly powerful.

Some photo software is designed to be a viewer, and others are primarily editors. Most try to be both, which is not really possible. I always install two photo applications on my computers. One is a viewer, which is set as the default, and the other is a true editor.

Barring all that, if you don't want to mess around with editing or installing different camera software, the only solution is to learn what the native orientation is for the camera you are using, and stick with it. In that way, you will always be guaranteed that your images will come out correctly.

Last edited by Sparky57; 03-20-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page