Why are my photos posting upside down? - GL1800Riders
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Why are my photos posting upside down?

I've recently posted a few pics and the are upside down with no way to fix it.
Please help.
Well crap, now it's not upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150904_182337.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	898.4 KB
ID:	182569  

YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR WRONG OPINION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Although I don't really know if this would effect it or not, I'll ask you if you hold the camera in the vertical or horizontal position. I always hold my camera in the vertical position with the camera lens at the top so the picture is the same as the view through the screen. I would guess if you hold the camera in different positions then the picture would be in a different position (sideways or upside down). Just guessing on my part, but a theory to consider.

Allen

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Bridgestone BT45
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
The device you are using captures the image and also includes EXIF data in the photo.

EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format. Every time you take a picture with your digital camera or phone, a file (usually a JPEG) is recorded to your device’s storage. Besides the picture itself, it also records a considerable amount of supplemental metadata as well. This can include date, time, camera settings, and even possible copyright information. You can also add or further modify metadata to EXIF, with additional software. In fact, if you use a camera phone or digital camera with GPS capabilities, it will usually record EXIF geolocation metadata (the GPS coordinates of where you were standing when you took the picture). This could be seen as good or bad, depending on how you feel about privacy.

Unfortunately, some of the things it records to the file may not make sense to us, such as how you were holding the camera, and on some devices this can even depend on which button you pushed when you took the picture (did you tap the screen, did you push the Home button on the face of the phone, did you use one of the phone's side buttons (volume / Power, etc...), it may appear upright to you, but upside-down to the internet and other places where EXIF data is not used. Many internet locations (facebook, most software forums, etc..) will strip out the EXIF data and post the picture as it sees it, not as the EXIF data says it was taken. The result on our forum is usually upside-down or sideways pictures.

Fix:
When this happens, you can simply open the .jpg image with a simple photo editor (i use MSPaint that comes with Windows), rotate the picture to the correct layout and save it right back over the existing file. Then post that file. Yes, it's a pain... but until everyone gets on board with supporting EXIF data (there are some advantages), this can and will be a problem.

Hope this helps some to understand.

Just my $.02.

Jim

2013 Honda F6B
2008 Honda Nighthawk 250 (Teaching my daughter to ride).
www.RydePyrat.com

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
The device you are using captures the image and also includes EXIF data in the photo.

EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format. Every time you take a picture with your digital camera or phone, a file (usually a JPEG) is recorded to your device’s storage. Besides the picture itself, it also records a considerable amount of supplemental metadata as well. This can include date, time, camera settings, and even possible copyright information. You can also add or further modify metadata to EXIF, with additional software. In fact, if you use a camera phone or digital camera with GPS capabilities, it will usually record EXIF geolocation metadata (the GPS coordinates of where you were standing when you took the picture). This could be seen as good or bad, depending on how you feel about privacy.

Unfortunately, some of the things it records to the file may not make sense to us, such as how you were holding the camera, and on some devices this can even depend on which button you pushed when you took the picture (did you tap the screen, did you push the Home button on the face of the phone, did you use one of the phone's side buttons (volume / Power, etc...), it may appear upright to you, but upside-down to the internet and other places where EXIF data is not used. Many internet locations (facebook, most software forums, etc..) will strip out the EXIF data and post the picture as it sees it, not as the EXIF data says it was taken. The result on our forum is usually upside-down or sideways pictures.

Fix:
When this happens, you can simply open the .jpg image with a simple photo editor (i use MSPaint that comes with Windows), rotate the picture to the correct layout and save it right back over the existing file. Then post that file. Yes, it's a pain... but until everyone gets on board with supporting EXIF data (there are some advantages), this can and will be a problem.

Hope this helps some to understand.

Just my $.02.

Jim

So skipping all the technical information, how you hold the camera, as well as which buttons you push, does have an impact on the orientation of the picture as I guessed? If so, there are many on this board who need to relearn how they are taking pictures lol. Thanks for the info.

Allen

Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Bridgestone BT45
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Pictures

Most of the pictures I post are taken with a 10 mega pixel camera.
Before I post them, I modify them using a program called IrfanView. It allows me to change the size of the file, orientation, and add any effects etc.... I save the modified file in a separate folder so I always have the original file to go back to.

Rayjoe
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
So skipping all the technical information, how you hold the camera, as well as which buttons you push, does have an impact on the orientation of the picture as I guessed? If so, there are many on this board who need to relearn how they are taking pictures lol. Thanks for the info.

Allen
Maybe we should deal with the spelling and grammar first? Taking pictures correctly pales in comparison.

Darksider #1358 Michelin Alpin 195/55-16
Watch these, America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGLbXXaEgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjNBvupzUM
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:

Allen
Yes, you were correct.
Unfortunately there is no standard (sometimes even among devices of the same manufacturer) that can be taught. Apple sees things one way (as they always do), Android sees them another, and pushing a home button vs. using a side button vs. touching the screen, could give different results even on the same device.

One simply needs to understand their own choice in hardware. I believe the technical acronym for this is called RTFM.

Jim

2013 Honda F6B
2008 Honda Nighthawk 250 (Teaching my daughter to ride).
www.RydePyrat.com
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Maybe we should deal with the spelling and grammar first? Taking pictures correctly pales in comparison.

I cee no thing rong with the sentance. Maybe U shuld direct yor English critique to Rail four his opinion....he seems to bee the English wizrd on this bord. @Rail32

Allen
Steve F likes this.

Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Bridgestone BT45
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Seasoned Member

FOUND SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST 1/2 AZZ BACKWARDS AND SOME ARE 1/2 AZZ UPSIDE DOWN

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
I cee no thing rong with the sentance. Maybe U shuld direct yor English critique to Rail four his opinion....he seems to bee the English wizrd on this bord. @Rail32

Allen
I can spell. I just do not proof read anything before I hit submit ,,, and my spell checker hates me .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page