Final Drive Going Bad? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwilks View Post
Guys,

I have the Fred Harmon DVD set but looking at each Disk I don't see anything about replacing final drive.

Is the Final Drive replacement covered on one of the DVDs?

Thanks,
Hwilks
The DVD's I have don't cover it but it is a fairly simple job. I usually charge $200 for the job and I supply the trike take off rear gear. You probably have someone close to you that will do it if you look around. I have replaced them with as low as 60k on them. Good luck.

GL1800A Interceptor Illusion Red
Florida Prowler #100
IBA#64117
www.facebook.com/Bobbysokcorral

"Freedom is the length of the chain between a stake in the ground and reality"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 AM
Seasoned Member

why so many final drives going bad? the reason is the tire they are using. When you use something other then a motorcycle tire, the mass of the tire puts too much strain on the final drive.

2006 Navi Goldwing
Non Darksider # 851,650
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Trike Builder

Not sure if there is anyone closer but Horizon Trikes in Clarksville does a lot of trike builds I believe. Might give them a call and see if they can help you out with parts. 479-754-8484

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm from Springfield Massachusetts....
I have a trike that I just converted and I HAVE A DRIVE SHAFT in excellent condition..
in my garage... If interested give me a call. (413) 285-5508 (cell #)
I will sell to you at a very reasonable rate....

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danl View Post
why so many final drives going bad? the reason is the tire they are using. When you use something other then a motorcycle tire, the mass of the tire puts too much strain on the final drive.
Oh brother
I think it is just as likely all the plastic chrome.
And really "all the failures"? Many go well over 100,000 miles and quite a few reported at over 200,000 miles. That sounds pretty reliable. I put on quite a few miles and since NEW takeoffs are ~$200.... I have some spares. I expect to keep my Wing a long time because it has been so reliable.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwilks View Post
Guys,

I have a 2002 GW with 79,600 miles.

I started noticing a clicking or slight popping noise when I take off from a stop that appears to becoming
from somewhere in the drive line. I put the bike on the center stand and just turning the rear wheel with my
hand I can hear the noise and I think it's coming from the Final Drive.
The noise is even more obvious with the bike running and in gear.

I changed the Final Drive gear oil and there appeared to be real fine metal shavings in the
oil that I drained out almost looked like real fine glitter.

I changed the Final Drive oil regularly!

Anyone one have any idea what the cost for this repair might be at a dealership?

I am thinking about trying to find a Final Drive from a trike conversion shop and trying to
replace it myself.

Any thoughts and or suggestions?

thanks,
Hwilks
Good catch. What you describe is an early sign of a final going bad.

Don't worry about the why. Some ride gentle to DQ and back, changing the oil real often and have a final drive failure. Others ride them hard, put them up wet and have never had an issue. No rhyme or reason.

Try Honda of Russellville. They sell a lot of Wings and also might have a trike take off final drive available. If they don't have a take off available, see if they will let you bring one with you. Too many good ones around to spend excess money on a new one.

It looks like you are less than 100 miles from them. With an appointment you might be able to ride in, look at new bikes and ride out fixed up, catching a few twisted roads going home.

Or, maybe a member close to your area will volunteer to come help you swap it in the driveway. The task can be done in a few hours.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgie View Post
I would also have a driveshaft handy when you replace the drive. Clicking sounds (to me) point more to worn universal joints.
Agree .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
IMHO, unsupported by any evidence whatsoever. And, totally irrelevant to this thread. (In a 145,000 miles I have never bothered to "tell" my final drive what make and model tire is mounted on the rim.)

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 AM
DSI Keeper

Garage
Quote:
My Falken Ziex 912 weighs 19ibs. Get back with me when you find out what a Dunlop E3 weighs.
bullet bob likes this.

'14 GL1800 Red
Keeper of the DSI numbers
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
The car tires I have used have no more mass (weight) than the GL18 MC rear tires I have used. The exception might be a slightly heavier run-flat that I tried first, the Alpin.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page