Navi Power after Turned Off - GL1800Riders
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Navi Power after Turned Off

I've pretty much been away for about five years. About the time I went on my hiatus someone was selling something that allowed the Navi (mine is a 2006) to have background power for a limited time. The purpose was so you didn't have to hit the "Ok" or "Acknowledge" or whatever the lock screen is that comes up everytime you restart the bike (within the window of time).

I've done some searches, but either my search isn't specific enough or too specific. Can someone remind me where I can get one if they're still available?

Thanks

2006 Honda Goldwing Navi
2003 Valkyrie Standard
2002 Bushtec GL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
If I remember correctly it was causing problems with some bikes... mostly with batteries that weren't 100%. So they quit making the products. I think there were some schematics available to build your own. Fred H. was the inventor...

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

William, I saw a thread about that. I got the impression that invention was to be able to use the GPS while the bike was in motion. I didn't think it was the same thing I was looking for. I appreciate the reply. Maybe I'll go back and see if I can find that, but I don't know if I'm going to go making something to avoid the minor annoyance. Just trying to throw money at it.

2006 Honda Goldwing Navi
2003 Valkyrie Standard
2002 Bushtec GL

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

May be talking about the "auto enter module". You could turn the key on and ride, the module would get the Nav unit up and running automatically, every time. And, as I recall, some bikes for some strange reason refused to work with the module so they stopped making them.
William Anzik likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if you turn your ignition key to accessory instead of turning it completely off when stopping for gas the navigator will stay on. Then make a stubby key for the gas door you won't have to go through the navi start up process.

How to make key-knobs for the fuel door and right pocket
2WheelNut likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I guess my memory isn't as good as it use to be... I don't know how I could possibly know that though...

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800

Last edited by William Anzik; 03-20-2017 at 06:05 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I remember two different modules.

One was to supply power to the GPS for a limited amount of time after the key is turned off like ZekeValk is looking for.

The other was do the auto-enter thing that IronHorse1800 mentioned.

Definitely two different modules! Fred H. can probably recite how to do both in his sleep!

'08 Pearl White Navi
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

Jon Kennedy made the unit that held power on the GPS after the bike was shut off for about 30 minutes. I presented the idea to him and worked with him on the initial prototype and design. He stopped making it as well as many other GL1800 products he made and closed up shop.

I then worked with another company to develop the automatic enter button module, and later turned the idea and design over to Pete at Bike MP3. I think Pete made them for a short while and then he also gave up on them, though I'm not sure why, mine has worked flawlessly for many years, but I'm not using the one Pete built. I forget the name of the original company I worked with but I could probably dig it up if needed.
William Anzik likes this.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

Here is the guy I worked with on the initial design for the Auto acknowledge circuit, which Pete later built at my suggestion. All you really need is a variable timer and two relays. Pete removed the variable POT on the timer, which I believe is why he had problems with his.

Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
www.KPtechnologies.com

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook

Last edited by Fred H.; 03-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

231Wingman, Thanks for the suggestion. I made the side pocket and gas keys years ago - actually helped a couple other people make them, but sometimes when you're out on a day ride with a group and you're on and off the bikes it's not a good idea to leave your key in your bike....at least it doesn't feel that way to me. Sometimes when getting back on either I take off too fast or just plain forget to hit the enter button. I actually have done the hack where I have a switch that disconnects the speed sensor (I think that's what it does) so I can run through the enter sequence while moving, but that makes my wife nervous sometimes (along with a lot of things I do on the bike).

Ok, so bottom line, I missed the boat. Thanks all for the replies. If someone runs across this thread and wants to pull theirs out before they sell their bike I'd be interested. Or maybe if there's a lot of interest we can get KP Technologies to do a limited run?

2006 Honda Goldwing Navi
2003 Valkyrie Standard
2002 Bushtec GL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page