Engineering math question for you - GL1800Riders
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Engineering math question for you

Does anyone happen to know the formula that gives you the amount a weight a vehicle loses as it goes faster down the road? I am not talking about orbiting the earth or escape velocity etc. Just a simple formula where you enter the vehicle weight and speed and end up with an answer. Smarta$$ answers are not appreciated. I am asking a serious question please for a young man doing a science experiment.

Any good reason to stay out of someone else’s mess is a gift to both parties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm pretty sure there is no generic formula. It will depend upon the shape of the vehicle under consideration. If the vehicle produces a low-pressure above the vehicle, it will produce lift and lessen the effective weight of the vehicle as speed increases. The converse is also true. Some vehicles actually increase the downforce as the speed increases.

It all depends upon the aerodynamics of the vehicle in question.

Smarter minds chime in here.

Glen
zgoldwingman likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Glockjock

2006 Titanium GL 1800, ABS
2008 Tailwind trailer
IBA #33072
Darksider #163
Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Member #1
RAT PACK 2013

I ride too fast, too far, and too often to ride anything but a Goldwing rolling on a car tire pulling a Tailwind trailer because friends don't let friends vote Democrat.

post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

First, @Tom Finch would be the one to ask. Being as he used to be involved in aircraft design and has some patents related ... there is a good reason that his Tailwind trailers kind of look like an aircraft wing.

I am guessing that there is not a constant formula for that. The aerodynamic design (or lack there of) of the vehicle has a major affect that.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I wasn't considering aerodynamics in the question. I read where mass actually increases with speed. The science experiment for the young boy is supposed to determine if the weight of a car going down the road at say 100MPH weighs less due to centrifugal force around the earth. All other considerations like aerodynamics would be getting too complicated for him. All help is apppreciated.

post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Member

The only change to weight would be related to some kind of aerodynamic effect causing either lift or down force on the vehicle.

Outside of that, the constant here is gravity and weight is just the affect of gravity on the mass. If gravity is unchanged and the mass of the vehicle is unchanged, then the weight is unchanged.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I suggested an experiment for the young man. I proposed that he put a motorcycle (Not my wing!) in the back of a truck with bathroom scales beneath each wheel. We could go down a back road at a given speed and see if the weight changed on the scales while moving. I suspect it will not, but thought I would ask just in case I could be wrong. I haven't figured out the details yet on how to stabilize the bike other than simply using the side stand. Thinking of something like a small dirt bike. Maybe it will change but be so little to actually read anything. Just trying to help the kid.

post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Engineering math question for you

Oh, I see his point now. Like a space craft in stable, near-earth orbit. If it accelerates enough, it will escape earth's gravity and go off into outer space.

Assume a car has zero aero lift or down force. How fast would it have to go to "lift off" like the space ship?

On my '70 Dodge Dart the answer was 140mph, but I think that was aero-lift! Lucky to have survived!

Send Tom a PM.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

Last edited by Ironhorse1800; 03-24-2017 at 12:27 PM.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Member

As we sit here looking at our device screens we are moving at tremendous speed. The earth makes a complete revolution on it axis in 24 hours. The earth every year makes a complete orbital path around the sun. It is believed that our entire galaxy is moving through space at some tremendously fast speed. But we don't "feel" the speed at which we are presently moving, although it is certainly recognizable when we look to the sky. I suspect there is no detectable change in mass relative to speed, especially at speeds as slow as 100 mph, if indeed there is any change of mass at any speed.

I've already typed more than I know
jsrinhsv likes this.

Jack
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:18 PM

I think you may be referring to Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
As matter approaches light speed it loses mass, this is the principal behind nuclear energy.

Of course the effect is so tiny at any speed normally attainable as to be unmeasurable.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Seasoned Member

This reminds me of an advanced math problem in high school. If you could fire a rifle bullet and drop a piece of chalk of the same weight at the same time, assuming the bullet is traveling in a straight line, they would both hit the ground at the same time.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page