Gold Wing vs. Royal Star Venture - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Gold Wing vs. Royal Star Venture

Anyone with a Gold Wing ever had a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. If so what was your opinion of it? I know it doesnt come close to a Gold Wing, but its still a nice bike and Im tossing back and forth the idea of buying a Royal Star. Although Im leaning more towards the Gold Wing.

'06 Dark Red ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Good luck ......there r alot of members that have alot of saddle time here
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Go with the Goldwing.

You won't regret it!!

later..Randy

later...Randy
2005 Billet Silver ABS

....... 1967-1971......

Proud Member Of The PGR
Since 2006
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Member

I rode them both before choosing the wing. The Venture is much cheaper and comes fully loaded and I have heard that engine is bulletproof but in my opinion it is fairly top heavy and not nearly as easy to control at low speeds. I don't believe you could go wrong with either and I saw a brand new black cherry a couple of weeks ago for around 14,800 which is a good price...Good luck with your decision.

James

2006 Dark Red ABS
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Re: Gold Wing vs. Royal Star Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogs1800
Anyone with a Gold Wing ever had a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. If so what was your opinion of it? I know it doesnt come close to a Gold Wing, but its still a nice bike and Im tossing back and forth the idea of buying a Royal Star. Although Im leaning more towards the Gold Wing.
I have owned a Yamaha venture and currently a 03 GL 1800. My Venture was a 2001 model and I put approx 30K miles before I bought the Wing. The Venture is a fine motorcycle very high quality and enough power to do anything you want to do (except out run a GL 1800). I also like the way the Venture looks, but here is the downside--No fuel injection, top heavy (I never really felt like I had good control at slow speeds) and the bike is generally out of date and in bad need of some updates (which I'm sure is on Yamaha's drawing board) . The price is pretty good considering it comes with a CB, intercom, and a good radio system. It even has a casette player if you can find any of those anymore. It's not the bike that a Goldwing is; However, it's also a lot less expensive. You would own a good motorcycle should you buy one.

BIG SHOTS ARE ONLY LITTLE SHOTS THAT KEEP SHOOTING!

GWRRA 242104 (X)
03 Illusion Blue GL 1800
84 Honda CT 110 Antique
06 Mustang GT convertible
04 Acura TLS
07 Sport Trac
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:38 PM

I guess it all boils down to what you want. The Venture is a SHARP looking bike and competes well with the Wing in most areas. It is top heavy and that would make it a problem for shorter riders, but it has good brakes, LOOKS like a V-Twin and holds at least as uch as the 1800. I looked at one before I bought the wing but it just did not "FIT" me. I am kind of a "techie" and the wing fit me better, but if you are looking for a old-school cruiser/touring bike that you can still add all the bells and whistles to, I think that it would have to be on the short list along with the Ultra.

Bulldog59
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:28 PM

I didn't have a Venture, but did have an '05 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It was a very comfortable bike and did give more of a chance to stretch out than the Wing. It was very stable going down the road...better than the Wing in cross winds. OTOH, it didn't have anywhere near the power down low...you have to wind it up...and the straight cut gears in the tranny are loud. While worse on some than on others, mine was loud enough to scream in my ears at 70mph wearing a full face helmet.

It was a pretty bike to look at...better than the Wing IMHO...but mine was black/charcoal and the chromed up engine looked awesome.

Bottom line...it's cheaper and is very durable. If you want power, handling and a smooth quiet ride...buy the wing.
YMMV,
Bob

Candy red '04
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose...Jim Elliot
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:39 PM
T10
Seasoned Member

Both are nice bikes....depends on the look and feel you want. Star is more "Harley" looking while the Wing has a look of it's own...Star's ride is nice and the Wing is super....Star's handling top heavy, Wing sport like. Both are high quality, both backed by great companies. Ride both and then decide.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Member

i like the venture, that's one sharp looking bike !!!

weet

BLUE 01' GL1800A
1951 FARMALL ''M''
05 HONDA 4X4 RANCHER
76' HONDA CHOP
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I owned a RS tour deluxe with a bat wing type fairing. It was a beautiful bike, but was poor in the handling dept. compared to the wing. The wing is more powerful, and handles more like a sport bike than cruiser. The venture is a beautiful bike that delivers great bang for the buck, but it is a crusier with bags and that is the big difference.

Barbara Andreassen
05 ST 1300A
04 GL1800A
96 Royal Star
89 FJ1200
85 Maxim 700
82 Honda 250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3929 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page