160hp BMW K1600 - Page 10 - GL1800Riders
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
All the repeated focus on not having tip-over protection makes me suspect there are lots of guys here who should no longer be riding a big motorcycle ... a 950 lb motorcycle no less. Holy cow, since when is having or not having side guards a greater purchase consideration than a bikes weight, suspension, power-to-weight ratio or overall performance? If you want or need tip-over protection, then put some on. It's much cheaper than a lot of the stuff I see people do to their machines. I can't help but chuckle and wonder how many making those comments would swear the Wing's stock suspension is great or spent hundreds putting 20 pound gyroscopes on each of their Wing wheels and swear how "smooth" they make the ride, yet never ever mention or admit that it greatly reduces acceleration and braking...but they wouldn't ever buy a bike with out tip-over protection?. lol
There are no doubt a lot of people riding big bikes that are really too big for them, mostly due to their height or size, and sometimes strength. I have held my breath more than once watching some people try to maneuver them.

But I have seen just as many 500 lb bikes laying on their side as I have seen big bikes. The ability to handle a big bike has nothing to do with the need for tipover protection. I have never dropped my Wing, but I did have a Magna go over on me once on a gravel parking lot when I forgot to leave the bike in gear after I parked it. A riding buddy dropped his Concours at a stop light once when he put his right foot down right into a deep pothole that he did not see. I have nearly dropped my Wing a few times in gravel parking lots when my foot slipped on the gravel. I have seen bikes of all size get knocked over by the wind or by people walking by and not paying attention. And sometimes you can just have a brain fart and do something stupid.

It would be very hard to protect a bike from any damage in a tipover. Things that stick out, like mirrors and turn signals often get damaged. But I think it is poor design when a simple tipover will likely cause thousands of dollars in damage to fairings and saddlebags unless you invest in aftermarket protection.

Many bikes have design omissions that should not have happened, so I am not singling out BMW. The Wing has its share of them. But this is a particularly egregious oversight on BMW's part that is hard to defend, especially on such an expensive bike. Maybe a little less focus on sexy gadgets, and a little more on the bike's design would have been in order in this case.
raw2210, Glockjock, Tour 1 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 04-09-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
Your the one that must be in Iowa if you got Darksider out of his comment. LOL
It's you're, "you're the one"... I was asking what he meant, I thought. My Centramatics don't weigh anywhere near 20 pounds per wheel. Maybe 2 lbs. And perhaps some real racers could tell the difference but I have a hard time believing that a 200 pound rider on a 950 bike with a full tank of gas could tell whether or not the bike has Centramatics on it or not. Or a car tire. And I am not in Iowa, I have stoner friends if the need arises.
weengers, Racer57 and Steveo1800 like this.

Darkside #69

Ironbutt #8045
post #93 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
So if I say something positive about another brand of motorcycle I'm "putting down" Goldwings ? LOL Unlike some, I don't have Honda tattooed on my butt and a nose thats brown just thinking about Honda and GW's. I love all motorcycles and have yet to ever tell someone that "my" motorcycle is better than "theirs" so I can thump my chest over something so trivial.

Sorry PorchRacer57, I guess I misunderstand your posts. I don't speak peckingese.
Rapidray likes this.

Michelin Primacy
Bridgestone G709
Darkside #1000
IBA# 63478

post #94 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
Many bikes have design omissions that should not have happened, so I am not singling out BMW. The Wing has its share of them. But this is a particularly egregious oversight on BMW's part that is hard to defend, especially on such an expensive bike. Maybe a little less focus on sexy gadgets, and a little more on the bike's design would have been in order in this case.
I have owned over 30 new motorcycle in my time and very few came with so-called tip over protection. To a point, the engine design of the Wing along offers tip over protection. Except the dirt bikes I have ridden, I've never tipped a bike over. From that stand point, protection would be just a waste of money. If one desires, tip over protection can easily be added to most any bike like any other aftermarket option.
post #95 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler46 View Post
I have owned over 30 new motorcycle in my time and very few came with so-called tip over protection. To a point, the engine design of the Wing along offers tip over protection. Except the dirt bikes I have ridden, I've never tipped a bike over. From that stand point, protection would be just a waste of money. If one desires, tip over protection can easily be added to most any bike like any other aftermarket option.
Maybe we should all thank mother Honda (I do) for including such nicely integrated tip over protection as standard equipment at no extra cost. I've dropped mine a couple of times with no visible damage so I certainly appreciate them being there. I will also lay it down on it's side to change the rear tire.

Lack of effective tip over protection was one of several reasons I didn't buy the big BMW. Since I don't own any pirate clothes I didn't even consider HD.
Rapidray likes this.
post #96 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Sorry PorchRacer57, I guess I misunderstand your posts. I don't speak peckingese.
You are also unable to speak English at a mature level.
Duckster likes this.

Cuda 383 4 speed Shaker Corvette Stingray 3LT 6.2L 455hp
post #97 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler46 View Post
You make a really good point, which makes me at least partially reconsider my stance on this. It should be pointed out however, that most bikes do not have full bodywork. Just about any cruiser or naked bike will not suffer much more than damaged turn signals or a bent brake lever in a drop. Protection would be mostly ineffective on those bike.

But in looking at full fairing bikes, the Concours and FJR don't have protection either. The ST1100 and ST1300 do. (I see a common theme here.)

So I will concede that point, and maybe I should reshape my thinking on this. Instead of knocking damage prone bikes for not having protection, what I should be doing is thanking that evil empire called Honda for the extra thought they put into their bikes, since they are apparently one of the few companies that think this is important.

It is just another perk to add to the list of why the Wing is still the best touring bike on the market, and one of the most affordable touring bikes you can buy. It's the little details that make a great bike, not the flashy gadgets.
Glockjock, Rapidray and Racer57 like this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 04-10-2017 at 09:51 AM.
post #98 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
I'm calling you out as BS on this claim!
BOTH of my GTL's came with FACTORY engine guards. Do you want the part numbers?
Gotta love Internet forums: People trolling, talking enough crap and sadly some people take them for an authority!
No BS at all!
HOWEVER, what you call an engine guard isn't what I'm talking about. In my world(of Harley influence), and engine guard is a polite name for a CRASH GUARD! BMW didn't make them for the new style bikes when I was looking. I'm sure they are available now, but that would have been of little value to me at the time I was looking to buy.

Believe me, I am no troll, and I hate that kind of stuff myself. If I ever post something that is BS, call me out on it anytime. BUT in this case I was dead right!
post #99 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Seasoned Member

I've never yet bought a motorcycle with the fear I better no buy that just in case it falls over and it has not fall over protection.

Yes I've taken aftermarket steps to try to minimize damage in case I crash it, but this protection doesn't even enter the back of my head in my buying decision.

If it had, I wouldn't have bought most of the bikes I own or have owned. The fairing alone, on my Bimota DB2, that cost me $15,000 OTD, was $4000 to replace.

The Wing is a fabulous motorcycle and I thoroughly enjoyed mine, but if I was laying down the best part of $30K on a new 2017+ touring motorcycle, I most likely would go with the BMW.

The BMW, to me, just has more Pro's than Cons over the circa 10 year old design of the Wing at this present time.

If Honda chooses to do a serious 2018 redesign of the Wing, I'm sure we'll have a very similar thread arguing why the new Wing is not better than the current 2006-2017 model, but hopefully the new Wing will still have parking lot protection....
Smokin Joe likes this.

My Toys (Current Stable)
'15 Ducati 1299 Panigale S
'15 Ducati Multistrada
'12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
'08 GL1800 (Level 3) Traxxion Full Monty, '04 Uni-Go Trailer (Sold)
'07 Suzuki GSXR1000
'08 KTM 300XCW
'07 Ducati 1098S
'98 Yamaha R1
'93 Bimota DB2
'75 Honda CB400F
DS #1166 (Once)
post #100 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
No BS at all!
BMW didn't make them for the new style bikes when I was looking.
Thought you were speaking of the K1600, if so YES they did on the very FIRST series of K1600's although it was an option, I RODE the bike but did not buy that first year, soooo wrong again!
They also had a goofy passenger hand grips the wife had to reach under her backside and they fixed that mid year REAL quick!

BTW, your original post implied they DO NOT have currently them, not when you were looking in 2011. See below
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
Not only does BMW not put engine and bag gauards on them, you can't even get aftermarket guards
until some mfg tools up for them. BMW will not even offer them as an option.
Anyhow I am glad you are happy with your Harley and please ride safely!
Happy Easter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 BMW K1600GTL - Damask Red -
2014 EXCLUSIVE K1600GTL-E
2000 HARLEY DYNA FXDX SUPERGLIDE
2002 HONDA C-250

Smokin' PROWLER ~118

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page