Capt. Bob and Bluecyclone like this.

No matter where you go, there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
The Golding is one of the rare exceptions when it comes to minimal damage in a tip over. Nearly all my bikes require aftermarket protection to prevent/minimize damage in a tip over, although with a much lighter bike, that situation doesn't happen that often (dropped one bike in the last 15 years).

If there weren't aftermarket options, for protection, I would be concerned, but as this is readily available, I think it's a none issue when you are purchasing a $27K+ bike.

I think BMW has set a very high bar for the Goldwing to follow, I don't think Honda will....
Not really. It isn't a comparable bike. The K1600 is a sport touring bike. Very little crossover for potential buyers. They each attract different types of riders.

I find it amusing that when Honda does updates to the Goldwing, they get bashed here. But when BMW does it, they are treated like they just walked on water. The biggest feature they added is something the Wing has had for 30 years.
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Seasoned Member

I was very close to getting a K1600GTL and probably would have except my favorite passenger didn't like the seating. I was seriously considering the Ultra Classic too. That was poo-pooed quickly.

I actually AM a CEO, but not of the household...
Rapidray and Capt. Bob like this.

Jim

2016 Level 3 12K Miles
2005 Yamaha FJR 51K Miles

post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Seriously Considering K1600

Guys I got tired of waiting for Honda to upgrade the current wing 4 years ago. I bought my current 2004 wing new in 2004. It has been a VERY good bike and has taken me to a LOT of places over the years. Except for a few items like leaking anti freeze couplings that are a pain to get to and a bad ignition coil, it has been a VERY good bike.

BUT it is time to keep up Honda. If the 2017 K1600 had been released at a normal time here in the USA, I would have bought one. They are not scheduled to hit the US market until maybe July. With that in mind, I will wait ONE MORE model year with Honda and hope they release at least a SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded wing. The current motor and HP is fine with me. But you can look at the MANY things the BMW has now that the current wing doesn't.

The touring bike market is declining and Honda may decide to go another direction. Doubtful but maybe. Just a few years ago they built a new MC plant in Japan for the wing. Of course that was 10-15 year ago planning when they decided to move the wing back to Japan. So I guess they could switch that plant to some other purpose about as easy as they could retool it for a new model wing.

Either way, after a LOT of research on the BMWK1600, I feel I can do a lot of the maintenance myself like on my wing. So after Honda announces the 2018 wing, I will be buying either a new model wing or probably a BMWK1600. FOR ME, those are the only two bikes that are of interest to me.

thekid and Smokin Joe like this.
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgie View Post
ABS Pro is something I wish my Level 3 Wing had. BMW definitely has my attention.

Me too. But there is no longer a dealership in my area.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #16 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw2210 View Post
. Just a few years ago they built a new MC plant in Japan for the wing. Of course that was 10-15 year ago planning when they decided to move the wing back to Japan. So I guess they could switch that plant to some other purpose about as easy as they could retool it for a new model wing.
Just an FYI: The Hamamatsu plant was not built for the Goldwing. That plant has a capacity of 800,000 motorcycles a year, which is monstrous compared to the 75,000 capacity of Marysville. The Wing was just added to the list of bikes they build there. Honda moved all worldwide motorcycle production to Hamamatsu, (except for Asia and the Middle East) The closing of the Marysville motorcycle plant had nothing to do with the Goldwing specifically. It was just one small part of a much larger plan to consolidate Honda's worldwide auto and motorcycle manufacturing.

The move cannot be interpreted as any sign of what Honda's future plans for the Wing are. The Wing is just one cog in the wheel of a very large, diversified corporation.
post #17 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
Not really. It isn't a comparable bike. The K1600 is a sport touring bike. Very little crossover for potential buyers. They each attract different types of riders.

I find it amusing that when Honda does updates to the Goldwing, they get bashed here. But when BMW does it, they are treated like they just walked on water. The biggest feature they added is something the Wing has had for 30 years.
I disagree. The article was about the K1600 GTL which is their big touring bike and a direct compare with the Wing.

I still think the Wing excels in a lot of areas over the BMW...but the BMW is definitely improving and is definitely better on the performance side.

If my wife liked the rear seat as much as the Wing, I'd probably own one.
murf, raw2210 and Racer57 like this.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #18 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I own a 2009 wing and a 2013 BMW K1600 GTL .
K1600 requires only 89 octane mid grade. I have run 87 with no knock or ping when 89 was not available.
You can do your own oil changes and routine maintenance just like a wing. Air filter is very easy. Parts are more expensive.
I am 5 foot 7 and can reach the ground flat footed with the stock low seat. There is a taller seat and a bracket under the seat to flip over and raise the seat.
I love the wing but the K1600 is much more fun to ride.
160 HP. 129 ft. lbs. torque
No the bikes are not a direct comparison.
My wife prefers the back seat on the wing. That is why I still have both bikes lol.

[SIGPIC][/]Jim 2009 monotubes, 2012 rear shock, all balls,centramatics,mbl risers, 704 & 709

1979 XLS Sportster 1000
1980 HD Sturgis
1989 Sportster 1200 95 HP
1991 Softail Custom
1994 Kawasaki ZX6
2003 Suzuki burgman 650
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (red) 135 HP
1997 Suzuki bandit 1216 (blue) 145HP [2003 Pro E.T. drag Bike Champ GIR ST. Louis]
1995 Goldwing Aspencade (green)
2007 Yamaha FJR 1300 (black cherry)
2009 GL1800 (black cherry) The KEEPER
BMW K1600 GTL
post #19 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
I disagree. The article was about the K1600 GTL which is their big touring bike and a direct compare with the Wing.

I still think the Wing excels in a lot of areas over the BMW...but the BMW is definitely improving and is definitely better on the performance side.

If my wife liked the rear seat as much as the Wing, I'd probably own one.
Then why does even the article you are referring to call it a sport touring bike multiple times? And why has BMW emphatically stated publicly that the K1600 was not designed to compete against the Goldwing? Answer: Because once you strip away all the gadgets, it has more in common with a sport touring bike. The K1600 is aimed at sport touring riders who want more of the features found only on touring bikes.

FWIW, I like the K1600. It is on my very, very short list of bikes that I would ever consider. But in order for me to buy one, my needs for a motorcycle would have to change. It isn't a direct replacement for a Goldwing like the old K1200LT was.

The Wing isn't the best motorcycle for everyone.
post #20 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
Then why does even the article you are referring to call it a sport touring bike multiple times? And why has BMW emphatically stated publicly that the K1600 was not designed to compete against the Goldwing? Answer: Because once you strip away all the gadgets, it has more in common with a sport touring bike. The K1600 is aimed at sport touring riders who want more of the features found only on touring bikes.

FWIW, I like the K1600. It is on my very, very short list of bikes that I would ever consider. But in order for me to buy one, my needs for a motorcycle would have to change. It isn't a direct replacement for a Goldwing like the old K1200LT was.

The Wing isn't the best motorcycle for everyone.
You do realize that there are 2 models, right? K1600GT, which is a sport touring anf K1600GTL which is the Luxury touring version.

The L is the difference and it's a different bike and the GL1800 competitor.

The K1600GT would compare more to the Honda F6B.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page