160hp BMW K1600 - Page 5 - GL1800Riders
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

I just bought a 2016 Goldwing after being away from my last one for several years. In between, I've owned numerous bikes trying to find the "perfect" one. I owned a K1600GTL for a short time. It was fast and had things on it that the Goldwing doesn't but I never felt as comfortable riding it. Every time I rode it I had to reacquaint myself with the whiz wheel of fun that controls all of the electronics. I personally like the large individual buttons and wheels on the Goldwing. The GTL also felt like it had a higher center of gravity. My wife was also not as comfortable on the back. I also owned a 2015 Yamaha FJR1300 for a short time. It was as fun to ride as the GTL as far as power and handling and cost much less (plus there are Yamaha dealerships everywhere). It doesn't have some of the features of the GTL but it was more similar to the GTL than the Goldwing is in my opinion. Guess that's why they make so many different bikes . . . because everyone likes something different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
Not only does BMW not put engine and bag gauards on them, you can't even get aftermarket guards
until some mfg tools up for them. BMW will not even offer them as an option. When I was looking at buying my last bike, I looked at BMW, Goldwing, FJR, and Harley Ultra. Well, you guys know I bought the Harley, but I was SOOO close to buying a Goldwing. I crossed BMW off the list almost immediately. I rode the R1200RT and was just not comfortable on it, and I was surprised by it's lack of Power, as advertised. When I came back to the dealer and asked if he would include engine and bag guards in the deal, he said the don;t even make them yet! Too bad! I'm NOT spending that kind of money on a bike that has no protection for cosmetics and parts.

The Goldwing was eliminated because of lack of service facilities. My local dealer only has about 3 mechanics working there, and it sells all Honda products too! Imagine how long even a routine service visit would take. Now, I understand that is COMPLETELY a local issue for me, and that that probably will not apply to a general range of buyers.

The Harley dealer has more SERVICE WRITERS than Honda has service MECHANICS! It really wasn't a contest.
I like the Wing and understand it's appeal. All bikes have their strengths and weaknesses and some bikes just don't appeal to some people for lots of reasons...performance, looks, maintenance, aftermarket parts, etc, etc, etc, but that's different than just spewing nonsense about something.

Engine and bag guards have been available for the GTL from multiple sources for almost 5 years.

Lack of power on R1200RT? Really? It has at least 8 more HP at the rear wheel than the Wing
with 1hp/5.3 lbs of weight to the Wing's 1hp/9.05 lbs of weight...and the RT has a higher torque/weight ratio. And the RT has over 40 more wheel HP than the optional HD engine. Your perception is not based on reality.

To be fair, the BMW's don't need $2500-3000 for suspension upgrades right out of the box like the Wing does. Beemers are much easier and cheaper to do an air filter change on. Oil and rear drive changes are no more difficult or expensive than for a Wing. I DO agree with you regarding Honda Dealerships and their total lack of continuity from shop to shop. Every BMW dealer will work on every BMW model...Many Honda dealers don't have a Wing or ST mechanic or even stock air filters or tires and there is no price or parts source parity.
Sure, there were a concerning number of final drive failures a decade ago, but there were a higher number of Wing frame failures over a decade ago....as well as an ongoing linked brake problem that took Honda over 5 years to acknowledge. So let's be fair about past model "reliability".

Also to be fair, I seriously doubt that those making the repeated remarks about reliability have no first hand knowledge and have not owned one. I also doubt that those who claim the BMWs are not comfortable for rider or passenger haven't ridden them any length of time or distance to actually experience how comfortable they are for weather protection, ergonomics, suspension comfort, and much less head buffeting for rider and passenger than the Wing.
Racer57, 2WheelNut and Barrycuda67 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Me and Sweet Irene
post #43 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
Not only does BMW not put engine and bag gauards on them, you can't even get aftermarket guards
until some mfg tools up for them. BMW will not even offer them as an option.
http://parts.bmwmcjax.com/p/BMW_2016...wd=&origin=pla
http://www.altrider.com/altrider-eng...gt-gtl/pid/918
http://www.iliumworks.com/K_1600_GTL.cfm
Smokin Joe likes this.

Cuda 383 4 speed Shaker Corvette Stingray 3LT 6.2L 455hp

Last edited by Racer57; 03-30-2017 at 01:41 PM.

post #44 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Seasoned Member

I looked at the K1600 last summer before getting my Goldwing. The main issue for me (I am now 5'7", I've lost a full inch as I have aged) was that it felt too tall and top heavy, even with just me on it. I knew that riding two up would be too anxiety provoking for me. I was also concerned about the limited dealer network nationwide, and the model I looked at, with all the bells and whistles, had a sticker price of $32,000. I felt I was stretching my budget to spend what I did on the GW ($18,000 plus my Triumph Thunderbird) so the BMW dropped out of the equation.

Retired U.S. Army and now FULLY retired!
Former Instructor with the MSF
post #45 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Pros: all the up to date technology described by the OP. Performance.
Cons: Reliability, jury is still out but I know one early owner that had their bike quit in the rain with electrical problems that the dealer could not easily fix.
Cost. 30k+ is a steep steep climb for most folks.
Drop one in a parking lot? 4k minimum.
High octane fuel? sheesh. Design the **** bike to with a few less ponies that runs on regular.
My biggest complaint about BMW bikes: maintenance costs. If you have to ask you can't afford it. I know people that have owned big BMWs and GL1800s who say the GL1800 maint costs are less than half the BMW.
Dealer network? Go touring and you can easily be 500 miles from the nearest dealer. Don't live near a dealer? forget owning one unless you enjoy traveling to the dealer for service.

If you have the cash, and live near a dealer, and don't tour long distances. Sure, go for it.

2006 GL18HPNA6 Cabaret Red, Prem Audio, Comfort, Navi, ABS, Air Bag, Race Tech full monty, All Balls.
Heated RDL saddle. Firecreek Windbender w/elec adjustment.
IBA #54917
Darkside #873 Pirelli Euforie 195/55 w/dyna beads
2002 ST1100 (Garaged in London) (sold 10-12)
BMW F800GS while in mainland europe (rented)
1998 Honda VT1100T Shadow ACE Tourer (sold 1-11)
Bunch of states + England, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy
post #46 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igneouss View Post
Cons: Reliability, jury is still out but I know one early owner that had their bike quit in the rain with electrical problems that the dealer could not easily fix.
High octane fuel? sheesh. Design the **** bike to with a few less ponies that runs on regular.
My biggest complaint about BMW bikes: maintenance costs. If you have to ask you can't afford it. I know people that have owned big BMWs and GL1800s who say the GL1800 maint costs are less than half the BMW.
Dealer network? Go touring and you can easily be 500 miles from the nearest dealer. Don't live near a dealer? forget owning one unless you enjoy traveling to the dealer for service.

If you have the cash, and live near a dealer, and don't tour long distances. Sure, go for it.
Why did you buy one ?

Cuda 383 4 speed Shaker Corvette Stingray 3LT 6.2L 455hp
post #47 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igneouss View Post

Leaking water pumps and handle bar switches have been the number 1 reoccurring problems with the K1600. The handle bar switches caused many problems and left people stranded,....the switch problem has been solved. The water pumps, which some owners have replaced a number of times, never leak enough to cause any real issue other than a small weep getting on to the right exhaust. The pump is easy to replace but I do not understand why certain K1600's have continue to have the same problem.

The K1600 will run fine on regular gas and gets better gas mileage then the Wing.

High maintenance cost, not here. It cost more to have the valve check on the BMW then on the Wing, but that's it.

Touring,.....I do not live close to a dealer and I tour long distances,.....am I doing something I should not be?
post #48 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I agree, the Wing is superior for 2-up (and I think I said that). But, reliability? I went through 2 boots on 2001 and they never did fix the overheating problem. I could NOT ride the bike at slow speeds in hot weather without overheating, I had to always stop and let it cool down. Even Harleys would pass me at the side of the road .
post #49 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
Is Blackfoot a good dealer?
In Winnipeg, Wildwood Motorsports is the epitome of an overpriced, incompetent dealer who doesn't give a rat's a$$ about their customers, be they BMW, Ducati, or Yamaha.
Blackfoot is the BMW dealer. They aren't any worse than other dealers. Some people have good luck with them others don't (like all shops). Honda made the decision to only sell their bikes in "Honda only" shops (with some exceptions) so, Calgary went from having 3 or 4 shops that sold and repaired Hondas to one!
post #50 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Don View Post
Blackfoot is the BMW dealer. They aren't any worse than other dealers. Some people have good luck with them others don't (like all shops). Honda made the decision to only sell their bikes in "Honda only" shops (with some exceptions) so, Calgary went from having 3 or 4 shops that sold and repaired Hondas to one!
I was just wanting to know what your local BMW dealer (Blackfoot) was like in terms of only BMW service and customer satisfaction.
Our local BMW dealer is maligned by almost every customer who has bought a bike from them or had one serviced there.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page