160hp BMW K1600 - Page 7 - GL1800Riders
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
Sorry, but I must correct you, 89 Octane and many use 87 with no ill consequences.
BTW: the Hill Assist is SWEET in the mountains!

AMSOIL LIFETIME SINCE 1985
USN 1966-1970 USNR 1970-1984

Past Rides
1965 TRIUMPH TIGER
1970 H1 KAWI
1974 H2 KAWI
1975 Z1 KAWI
1978 BMW 1000
1979 1300 KAWI
1980 WING
1984 WING
1986 YAMAHA VENTURE
1995 WING
2002 WING
2005 WING
2007 ULTRA
2009 ULTRA
2010 WING
2012 ULTRA LIMITED
2012 WING
2015 BMW K1600 EXCLUSIVE
2017 WING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
Not only does BMW not put engine and bag guards on them, you can't even get aftermarket guards
until some mfg tools up for them. BMW will not even offer them as an option. t.
I'm calling you out as BS on this claim!
BOTH of my GTL's came with FACTORY engine guards. Do you want the part numbers?
Gotta love Internet forums: People trolling, talking enough crap and sadly some people take them for an authority!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 BMW K1600GTL - Damask Red -
2014 EXCLUSIVE K1600GTL-E
2000 HARLEY DYNA FXDX SUPERGLIDE
2002 HONDA C-250

Smokin' PROWLER ~118
post #63 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
Is Blackfoot a good dealer?
In Winnipeg, Wildwood Motorsports is the epitome of an overpriced, incompetent dealer who doesn't give a rat's a$$ about their customers, be they BMW, Ducati, or Yamaha.

Been in Blackfoot many times. Been ignored....everytime. They seem to busy to offer any help so I buy elsewhere. I only deal with people who appreciate and earn my business through good service, god selection and fair pricing. Blackfoot fails on all counts.

post #64 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Don View Post
I agree, the Wing is superior for 2-up (and I think I said that). But, reliability? I went through 2 boots on 2001 and they never did fix the overheating problem. I could NOT ride the bike at slow speeds in hot weather without overheating, I had to always stop and let it cool down. Even Harleys would pass me at the side of the road .

Calgary now has 2 Honda Powerhouse stores. One in the South East...Rocky Mountain Powerhouse and one in the North East.... Adventure Honda.

Been to both and both offer great service.
post #65 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Some one asked why I bought one if I am critical of them. I have never owned a 1600GTL. I did ride a rented 800 around Europe one summer but that's not relevant.

Several people here defend BMW citing evidence based on owning other BMW bikes. Huh? The OP clearly started this thread about the 1600. The other bikes have very little similarity even.

Everyone here seems to ignore the most obvious data point: There are 10X (or maybe even 50X) more GL1800 sold and on the road than any comparable BMW. That kinda says it all.

The "Con" argument: The GL1800 is way way out of date. It's a late 1990s design. It's 25 years old for gosh sakes. That it still sits on top of the pile is a huge compliment to Honda.... but it's time for a major redesign instead of periodic tweaks.

2006 GL18HPNA6 Cabaret Red, Prem Audio, Comfort, Navi, ABS, Air Bag, Race Tech full monty, All Balls.
Heated RDL saddle. Firecreek Windbender w/elec adjustment.
IBA #54917
Darkside #873 Pirelli Euforie 195/55 w/dyna beads
2002 ST1100 (Garaged in London) (sold 10-12)
BMW F800GS while in mainland europe (rented)
1998 Honda VT1100T Shadow ACE Tourer (sold 1-11)
Bunch of states + England, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy
post #66 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

All this talk comparing reliability of a wing to a BMW? Get real. I can hop on a 15 year old, or even a 25 year old wing with 150K on it and take off cross country and fully expect to make it on time and problem free. There is no comparison to the wing for 2 up, day in day out, loaded down, riding hard in any weather, go where you want when you want, maintenance free riding. Carry on arguing about 2nd place....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
LD_RIDER and Crookster like this.

Michelin Primacy
Bridgestone G709
Darkside #1000
IBA# 63478
post #67 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
I'm calling you out as BS on this claim!
BOTH of my GTL's came with FACTORY engine guards. Do you want the part numbers?
Gotta love Internet forums: People trolling, talking enough crap and sadly some people take them for an authority!
I am not calling you a liar here, but I am confused about this statement. I have looked at many different K1600 models in showrooms, and seen many pictures. But I have never seen anything that resembles an engine guard, fairing guard, or saddlebag guard. As others have noted, it appears that even a simple drop of this bike would cause extensive damage.

Here is a picture of the top of the line K1600GTL Exclusive. Can you point out to me where the engine guard is at? I honestly don't see anything. (But then again, sometimes I can't see my car keys when they are sitting right in front of me.)
post #68 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

I wonder if k1600 guys put car tires on their bike.

edit : don't drop a bmw without engine guards. they're not protected like our goldwings. tons of $$$$ to repair
post #69 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
Here is a picture of the top of the line K1600GTL Exclusive. Can you point out to me where the engine guard is at? I honestly don't see anything. (But then again, sometimes I can't see my car keys when they are sitting right in front of me.)
Sorry but the pic did not come through, but if you look just behind the lower fog LED lights you'll see a rounded guard running at a 45 degree angle. This is what we attach our highway pegs to.
The side bag guards are an option that I don't use as I normally leave the side bags off unless we are touring cross country. The BMW case guards are OK but this fellow forum member makes an affordable set that worked pretty well according to those that have had the mishap drop.
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...over-bars.html
I can personally testify that my Exclusive went down while practicing slow speed U turns and other than a scuffed mirror and scratch to the highway pegs there was no major damage.
The 2k damage some GTL owners have spoke on were for the first run of bikes that did not have the engine protection bars and yes some drops were costly. I waited two years for them to get the kinks out.
That being said, the K1600 is so incredibly FUN to drive, each and every time.
And no, after 4 years of ownership not one failure other than factory switch upgrade/bulletins- although there wasn't any problems with either of mine. BTW I can change the oil, final drive, and AIR FILTER in under 2 hours! How long does it take to change the air filter your Wing?
It's like the GW forum, if I search out the problems and warts there is plenty of material.
Who cares what one rides, just that we enjoy whatever we ride!
Best to you.
jryan19 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 BMW K1600GTL - Damask Red -
2014 EXCLUSIVE K1600GTL-E
2000 HARLEY DYNA FXDX SUPERGLIDE
2002 HONDA C-250

Smokin' PROWLER ~118

Last edited by Smokin Joe; 04-07-2017 at 05:40 PM.
post #70 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
I am not calling you a liar here, but I am confused about this statement. I have looked at many different K1600 models in showrooms, and seen many pictures. But I have never seen anything that resembles an engine guard, fairing guard, or saddlebag guard. As others have noted, it appears that even a simple drop of this bike would cause extensive damage.

Here's a pick taken from the I-net.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-BMW-K1600GTL-Exclusive-Engine.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	188353  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page