Real wheel nut size/removal - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Go to your local Harbor Freight and pick up a 1/2" drive, 19mm (not 3/4") Impact (black) socket. It's thick-walled and is a lot beefier than a typical standard socket. Also, get a 1/2" drive breaker bar at least 18" long. That should do the trick.

DO NOT put any "grease" on the studs. BAD advice. If you want, you can use a very small amount of anti-sieze on the studs. A little goes a long way.

19mm socket: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-d...ket-67788.html

Breaker Bar: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-d...bar-67932.html
kwthom likes this.

Last edited by Bartman; 04-01-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampawinger View Post
Sounds like it was over torqued.

Never use a 12 point on a hex HIGH TORQUE fastener. A 6 point would have to shear through MUCH more metal than a 12 point in order to round the hex points off.

If you have not removed it by now, you might want to put the others back on and ride to the place that you bought tires for your cars and ask them to us an impact wrench and 19mm impact socket to break it loose for you.

Or, maybe a nearby auto parts store will lend you the tools.

I usually use an air impact wrench, but have also used a 1/2 inch drive 24" breaker bar along with my 19mm 6 point impact socket.

gramps

Nope, not overtorqued, for I use a 1/2" drive 24" long Harbor Freight torque wrench to both install my wheels at 80 lb/ft torque, and to later remove them. I have been using a 3/4" 6 pt. impact socket until now. I carry the torque wrench in my Tailwind, along with a spare tire at all times. Good thing I didn't need it on the road!

I just got the wheel off. I followed the advice of reinstalling the other lug nuts, and then going to get a true 19mm impact socket instead of the 3/4" impact socket. The difference is mathematically insignificant, but in real life it made the difference.

Thanks to all!

Glen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Glockjock

2006 Titanium GL 1800, ABS
2008 Tailwind trailer
IBA #33072
Darksider #163
Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Member #1
RAT PACK 2013

I ride too fast, too far, and too often to ride anything but a Goldwing rolling on a car tire pulling a Tailwind trailer because friends don't let friends vote Democrat.

post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockjock View Post
Nope, not overtorqued, for I use a 1/2" drive 24" long Harbor Freight torque wrench to both install my wheels at 80 lb/ft torque, and to later remove them. I have been using a 3/4" 6 pt. impact socket until now. I carry the torque wrench in my Tailwind, along with a spare tire at all times. Good thing I didn't need it on the road!

I just got the wheel off. I followed the advice of reinstalling the other lug nuts, and then going to get a true 19mm impact socket instead of the 3/4" impact socket. The difference is mathematically insignificant, but in real life it made the difference.

Thanks to all!

Glen

When you go to buy the replacement lug nut do yourself a favor and buy all 5 lugnuts. They don't cost that much.

Allen
Glockjock likes this.

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

Thanks to all!

Glen
Congratulations on getting that thing off. That would of sucked if you had to cut it off. I've seized my share nuts and bolts and use a little anti-seize on a regular basis. I'm big fan of it.
milkmaster likes this.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
When you go to buy the replacement lug nut do yourself a favor and buy all 5 lugnuts. They don't cost that much.

Allen

And at next month's gathering, one of the door prizes will be 4 and a half "lightly used" spare lug nuts. Ha!

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse1800 View Post
And at next month's gathering, one of the door prizes will be 4 and a half "lightly used" spare lug nuts. Ha!
I like the way you think! I got rid of the old spare tire off my motorhome so I've been wondering what to give as a prize for the long-distance rider!

Glen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Glockjock

2006 Titanium GL 1800, ABS
2008 Tailwind trailer
IBA #33072
Darksider #163
Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Member #1
RAT PACK 2013

I ride too fast, too far, and too often to ride anything but a Goldwing rolling on a car tire pulling a Tailwind trailer because friends don't let friends vote Democrat.

post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Member

I know GJ got 'er done... but another trick for dealing with nuts and bolts that are seemingly stuck is to actually tighten it a touch and then try to remove it...
Hope it helps someone...

Mitch

Miles of smiles with many tight turns of roaring laughter
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll loosen the lugs *before* I put the bike on the ground; makes life a lot easier.

When I torque the lugs, I'll typically torque to around 45-50 lb-ft first, then take it to the final torque of 75-80 lb-ft.

The impact driver and breaker bar from Harbor Freight will make life so much easier next time.

Some light reading on the subject: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=229718
Grampawinger likes this.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Thanks to all!

Glen
Glen, it is a bad idea to use a torque wrench to remove fasteners. The torque required to remove a fastener is far greater than the torque applied to when it was installed and torqued to spec. Using one to remove fasteners can damage the tool either breaking it or causing it to give inaccurate readings. You would not want to tighten your rear wheel nut to what you think is spec, only to have your wheel come off because your wrench is 15 ftlbs off because of misuse.
Bartman and Glockjock like this.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

A point of reference with respect to torque...

The best you can calibrate a torque wrench is to within +/-4%. This is with perfect, repeatable technique.

The error an operator can induce with a torque wrench can be as much as +/-6%

Therefore, +/-8 lb-ft doesn't seem like much error in 80 lb-ft applied torque to each of those lugs...but one of the reasons that when Glen reinstalled a couple of lug nuts that his problem child lug nut was able to be removed.

Totally agree with @MichaelB above - do NOT use that torque wrench to remove a lug.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Glockjock likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page