Modular Helmet - which model/brand do you use? - Page 8 - GL1800Riders
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Raider View Post
I believe 80% of people wear helmets that don't fit and have NEVER had a helmet that fits. They try to compensate for an improper helmet shape by size. You can not buy a helmet by size unless you have had that exact same helmet model before. You need to invest some time to go out and fit helmets to your head. A helmet should fit SNUG around the crown of your head almost tight . It should not have any pressure points. This is were people don't get the right shape and buy the wrong size... they get a bigger or smaller size not a different shape. I would never buy a helmet that would not move my scalp when I rock the helmet back and forth on my head. That's a sure sign the helmet is too big. The better helmets have different pads to fit the cheeks that can be changed out for a comfortable fit. You have to realize if your head moves in the helmet in an impact, the helmet cannot perform its purpose. The helmet is suppose to absorb the impact and distribute it through the foam. If the helmet is too big there is a second impact from your head hitting the foam and reducing the effectiveness of the helmet and the third impact is your brain hitting your skull. So why spend $900 or more on the best helmet you can afford ... you might as well buy a helmet from the vendor at the flea market.
BTW. When you get a helmet that fits it will most likely be the most comfortable helmet you ever had.
Go to the store with the biggest selection of helmets you know of and spend some time to fit your head not your size. It will be well worth the effort.You may have to make it a RTF (ride to fit ) instead of a RTE (ride to eat)
That's my free advice...... you know what free advice is worth
I know this is a bit off the OP's question but its inportant if you want the best helmet for you...
Great advice, this was true for me too. I've bought several helmets because of the way they looked, features, recommendations, color, etc. some felt good when I tried them on, but had to be taken off after a short hour or two due to the pain they caused. I never knew what a proper fitting helmet was until I purchased my Nolan N104. It is snug like it is suppose to be, yet I can wear it 8-10 hour days with no discomfort. This won't be true for everyone. Fit and comfort trumps price and brand any day, whatever fits properly regardless of brand and price is the best selection possible for you. All helmets sold in the U.S. For street use Has to meet D.O.T standards, it is the same test for a $70.00 helmet as it is for a $900.00 helmet pass/fail. Over paying for a ill fitting helmet won't give you as much protection as a properly fitting cheap helmet.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:19 PM

Hard to find at dealers but available on line, I purchased a Shark Evoline helmet. With the chin bar up, it is out of the way and the helmet looks like a standard 3/4 helmet. It has both a clear front face shield and a smaller sliding sun screen. When I purchased mine it was a round $500, but I just checked online and I see them at the URL below at around $300:

https://www.chromeburner.com/helmets...e=668&size=191
post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Well, like @1911 suggested and I mentioned a few dozen posts ago, there was a closeout on C3 Pros and I pulled the trigger. Darn, it's a lot better fit for me than my old Nolan and extraordinary quality. Net -- it's just downright orgasmic. Honestly, after the first few hours of it, I'm still wondering if I had it early on if I ever would have bothered with a custom windshield.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Seasoned Member

HJC SyMax III

Dark Blue 09 audio/comfort
Darksider #828
Driveguard RF

post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Voyles View Post
I only use ARAI. They are the best. Not CHEAP but what is your head worth?
Except Arai doesn't make modulars, and this thread is about modulars...

I bought a new Neotec yesterday, CycleGear had a 20% off sale in their tent at MotoGP. That sale didn't drop the price to $300, the OP's budget, but it did take $130 off, which is nice. I have been using an HJC CL-Max, but my head is more oval than round, so get the hot forehead after an hour or so. I don't get that with my Arai full face, and suspect I won't with the Neotec, either.
post #76 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
Or..... pickup up a C3Pro at a big discount, most vendors are blowing them out right now.
That's what I did. Picked up a Scheuberth C3Pro Hi-Viz for $400.00 at Revzilla.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page