Over-hyped riding destinations - Page 11 - GL1800Riders
 218Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
If you're riding staggered, the traditional gap is one second on the bike on the side of you and two seconds for the one in front of you.

So you're saying you *do* ride formation, you just ride sweep.
Not really. I claim my entire lane and stay about 2 seconds back.

I will typically stagger on a straight...but I still use the whole lane on a corner.

Sometimes I'm 5-10 seconds back. Sometimes a 1/4 mile cause a car or two got in the middle as we pass or get passed by cars. (Leaving gaps allow the cars to get through the group without creating a rolling blockade)

Now....I typically ride in a group of only 2 or 3 so staying together isn't hard. If we get to 4 or 5, I'll try and keep the gap at a pretry consistent 2 seconds to help keep the group together if we are in any kind of traffic. I don't typically ride in groups larger than 5.

I guess I take the concept of "ride your own ride" quite literally. To me, riding "with" someone means stopping at the same places and riding the same roads. We don't have to be that close to each other to accomplish that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
jlbc212 likes this.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post

I will typically stagger on a straight...but I still use the whole lane on a corner.

Sometimes I'm 5-10 seconds back. Sometimes a 1/4 mile cause a car or two got in the middle as we pass or get passed by cars. (Leaving gaps allow the cars to get through the group without creating a rolling blockade)

Now....I typically ride in a group of only 2 or 3 so staying together isn't hard. If we get to 4 or 5, I'll try and keep the gap at a pretry consistent 2 seconds to help keep the group together if we are in any kind of traffic. I don't typically ride in groups larger than 5.

I guess I take the concept of "ride your own ride" quite literally. To me, riding "with" someone means stopping at the same places and riding the same roads. We don't have to be that close to each other to accomplish that.

Interesting. I've always thought that you shouldn't leave gaps because it is extremely unsafe to have a cage in the middle of a group of bikes.

Also....bikes riding together equals much increased visibility.
post #103 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidray View Post
I'd really love to hear from someone who has ridden CA 36. It's the one with the sign on one end saying curves next 140 miles. It's on my bucket list for sure. Sure is hard to beat the Smokies though, especially if you're lucky enough to have good local guys to show you the best out of the way roads. Primo. I've only got 3 curves around where I live, according to Murgie. I think he may have even counted one of them twice to get to that number. So anywhere I go is an improvement. In the not too distant future I intend to remedy this.
I've rode CA hwy 36 a couple of times, however, if your looking for a great ride then take CA hwy 3 out of Yreka, CA and continue on it until it meets Hwy 36, then head west on 36 toward the coast, the ride is about 4.5 to 5 hours through some very scenic country though the Trinity Alps area of Northern California.
Rapidray, revrunt and GaTeach like this.

Vietnam Veteran 68-70 (9th Infantry Division)
Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
GWTA Oregon Chapter A

post #104 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post

Coming from my world of motorcycle riding, there are three ways of doing this:

* Group riding: like cops and outlaws, side by side
* Staggered: like motto safety teaches
* The method where everyone takes off on the same route, but you ride on your own terms...there is actually a name for this, but I forgot.

My friend tells me he goes on these 'runs' that start in Diego and cut diagonally across the US to Canada. He says that about 3,000 people show up. They all take off at 4am, and after that, you don't see anyone till the finish line....interesting. But these guys are your Titanium-butt type of folks though.
Dale Baerg and GaTeach like this.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #105 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Interesting. I've always thought that you shouldn't leave gaps because it is extremely unsafe to have a cage in the middle of a group of bikes.

Also....bikes riding together equals much increased visibility.
Do whatever is comfortable to you but I've never really understood why it's "extremely unsafe" to have a cage in a middle of a group of bikes. To me, it essentially is just like when you ride solo and there are cages around and I do that all the time and don't feel unsafe.

What is the basis for this extreme risk of having a cage in the middle of the group?

If I really try hard to see the other point of view....the only thing I can think of is that if a cage is in the middle of a group of 6 bikes or so and 5 bikes pass in formation and then they see a car, they might not see the one bike following as they might think the group has passed. Is that it?

If so...my answer to that is 2 fold. 1.) If the first bikes weren't in formation and had gaps in between, the car wouldn't assume the bikes are all together and would proceed as normal and continue looking for traffic. 2.) If you were the one guy separated from the five, you should ride like you do when you are solo. Specifically, you ride in a part of the lane where you can be seen and leave enough gap between you and the car in front that their vehicle doesn't obscure the bike and you ride like you are invisible and assume the cages are trying to kill you.

On the increased visibility argument. I do agree. However, it can come at a cost as a large group can also bring out really unsafe actions by the cages. Specifically, I've seen some cages do some really unsafe things to get around of a group or bikes that was impeding their desired rate of speed. I've personally seen a truck pass a group of 10 riders at probably well over 100 mph after the truck driver got tired of going 55 in a 70 and after following them for 10 miles.

To me..it's MUCH safer to let the car work through the group one at a time than to make them choose between going slow or risking your life to go the speed they want to go by making them pass 10 bikes at once. (and it's just not realistic to think the cages won't do what it takes to get past you...it may not be safe or legal...but they are going to get around you if they decide to....you may be riding for fun but they are probably driving to get somewhere)

Anyway....I'm way off topic to the original post. Sorry @Nando ...I get to typing and forget what we're talking about.

Stepping off my soap box now.

Speaking of Over Hyped roads....most of my riding is over hyped. But I love it anyway....
Rapidray likes this.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #106 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Seasoned Member

@2WheelNut
"Speaking of Over Hyped roads....most of my riding is over hyped. But I love it anyway...."

HA! I like that...

Most of my riding is boring, I like that. I guess I equate boring with Peaceful.

STORY TELLING:
I got so that I could whip around a 1200RT pretty well and keep up with really good riders. But exhilarating riding also makes me tense and tired.
I can go to work and get that way: tense and tired.
Often, the gang I used to do 'exhilarating' riding with was permeated with ego tripping, and chest beatings...again, I get that at work.

So here is the philosophy I developed:
When I am on my bike, I want to relax, enjoy, and open myself to the Peace of God. That's why I don't hot-rod anymore. Touring has become my church...ha!

Yoda quoting the Bible.

Last edited by Nando; 04-13-2017 at 04:13 PM.
post #107 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Interesting. I've always thought that you shouldn't leave gaps because it is extremely unsafe to have a cage in the middle of a group of bikes. Also....bikes riding together equals much increased visibility.
I'm not understanding the logic that says being separated is unsafe. All riders in a group should be riding their own ride. Any group that doesn't is already being unsafe as a group. What is truly unsafe is trying to box out a 2 ton vehicle that is 5 times your size. You can't win. Not only that, but forcing others out is just plain rude. When I ride in groups, we ride just close enough to discourage merging by letting motorists know that we are riding together, but there is always enough room for a car to merge if they really want to. We let them have it. There are many reasons why a motorist may need to legitimately get in the lane you are in. Ride your own ride, always. It's a lot safer, and a lot less stressful. What you do on your bike should never be dependent on the other riders in your group. Too many groups ride like they are a connected train, and that is how accidents happen. Riding in a group does indeed make motorists more aware of your presence, but that's about it. Be patient. You will eventually re-group.
Rapidray, 2WheelNut and Big_Bear like this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 04-13-2017 at 07:37 PM.
post #108 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Locally, the North Shore of Lake Superior can be over-hyped because if you decide to ride it on a weekend or holiday, you will find the RV's and other tourist traffic take over and clog the road. I ride this several times a summer, but leave home before dawn so that I am on the shore to see the sunrise come up over the lake. No traffic, no bugs, just deer and other small critters. Lunch on the gunflint trail somewhere, stay overnight in Grand Marais or north of that. Then role early the next morning, heading south for home again. It seems from other posts above that this scenario would work in the national parks, state parks, historical markers, or whatever.
Nando likes this.
post #109 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Ain't that the fundamental problem with Summer riding in the great spots: the tourist and mobile home gang!

I think Trump should remove the citizenship of everyone that drives a car needlessly in the Summer, send them back to their nearest ethnicity place...with their car. Why can America be the motorcycle country.

I am getting to the point that I 'll drive a day around a metro area, or bunk right outside and whip-it through in the middle of the am, just to avoid the crowd.

Crowds, cagers, bad weather, and lack of gasoline can ruin any ride...in any group formation you might ride in.

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #110 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLblinded View Post
Locally, the North Shore of Lake Superior can be over-hyped because if you decide to ride it on a weekend or holiday, you will find the RV's and other tourist traffic take over and clog the road. I ride this several times a summer, but leave home before dawn so that I am on the shore to see the sunrise come up over the lake. No traffic, no bugs, just deer and other small critters. Lunch on the gunflint trail somewhere, stay overnight in Grand Marais or north of that. Then role early the next morning, heading south for home again. It seems from other posts above that this scenario would work in the national parks, state parks, historical markers, or whatever.
GL,
I have been wanting to drive up between the two lakes and come up on Duluth for years. Every time I am in NY, the Empire Strikes Back weather hails through there and it scared the wits out of me.
Last year, at night, I was watching the weather channel and thinking: Yea, it looks calm, maybe I can finally do it. Dude, next morning there was 90mph winds, knocking down houses...I made a sign of the cross.

Its just as well, if I make it to Duluth I probably spend a ton of money on motto-wear at Aerostich...acting like my girlfriend: buying stuff I don't need.
GLblinded likes this.

Yoda quoting the Bible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page