Over-hyped riding destinations - Page 14 - GL1800Riders
 218Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
Most roads in Vermont. Great scenery and twisties, but the state claims poverty and the highway paving programs are stuck about 10-15 years behind waiting for funding.

Allen
Many of the back roads in New England suffer from frost heaves, pot holes and maintenance neglect, but it does tend to keep the volume of traffic down. I personally prefer the bumps to riding in traffic, but it would be nice to have less of both.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Estes is a beauty, and dangerous. You can't space out on the scenery in some area.

Like the Sarge Phill used to say in Street Hills Blues (RIP): "Lets be careful out there".
DaveK likes this.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #133 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalzer View Post
I have ridden this road (Going to the Sun) 3 times now on my Wing. Towed the Hannigan twice and the Rollahome once. Only 1 time did I have any construction and that was a short wait of 15 minutes or less maybe I was just lucky. Other then that, I never stoped other than when I wanted to pull over and take photos. I have also taken Beartooth Pass 4 times now. I enjoyed it every time. Even the time I met 2 snow plows (1 had his blade up and the other on just knocking a little slush off the side) and had a little snow. Temps never got to freezing and the main tracks never accumulated any snow. Probably lucky again. I absolutely loved the Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper Alberta last year. My wife and I are going back again this year. Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia was fun. Drove it both directions in 2015. I like the ocean drives with rocky shorelines. Also enjoyed the coast highway along the pacific in Washington and Oregon. Enjoyed Canon Beach area. Enjoyed the road around Crater Lake. Really enjoyed highway 12 between Lewiston, Idaho and Lola, Montana. Ive enjoyed the BRP every time I've driven it. Million Dollar highway is a blast. I love that road. Been on it 3-4 times too. Highway 149 in Colorado going through Creede and Lake City is great. Also Colorado 141 going through the 5 star resort (Canyon Gateway) in Gateway is very interesting with the Canyon walls on both sides. Highway 9 into Zion NP is amazing! Highway 128 just north of Moab going east into Colorado is really nice. I guess I've enjoyed a lot of beautiful drives. I live in Oklahoma. Recently there was a road called "Rollercoaster Road" mentioned on this forum. I went to check it out. That was WAY OVER hyped!!!! Not worth driving 5 miles out of your way.
I agree totally. I think of those you listed the only one I haven't ridden is the canon beach area. All the others are fantastic and several I have rode many times and can't wait to ride them again.

IBA # 49869

post #134 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
GL,
I have been wanting to drive up between the two lakes and come up on Duluth for years. Every time I am in NY, the Empire Strikes Back weather hails through there and it scared the wits out of me.
Last year, at night, I was watching the weather channel and thinking: Yea, it looks calm, maybe I can finally do it. Dude, next morning there was 90mph winds, knocking down houses...I made a sign of the cross.

Its just as well, if I make it to Duluth I probably spend a ton of money on motto-wear at Aerostich...acting like my girlfriend: buying stuff I don't need.
You either get 'Stich' or you don't, there is no maybe.
post #135 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Seasoned Member

stiched or not stiched, I don't wanna be in the middle of one of them love affairs between the wind shear and the southern winds from the pond south of FL...especially not on a motorcycle.
GLblinded likes this.

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #136 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
What ever you Teach, DON'T take ANY of the Portland-Seattle corridors, particularly the I-5. Well, that is unless you like to breath fumes and use your feet when you ride.

The best way to approach Seattle (well, think of an enemy) is to flank it from up North around MT or come around the Coast and cross over on a ferry (which can also be crowded during traffic hours)
I live smack dabb in the middle of this paradise and I can't thank you enough for the bad press. Yes, we have freeways that go north, south and east, but there are great secondary roads to ride to those same destinations. They make maps for people who wish to ride off the freeways.

I haven't read anyone bashing the Cascade Loop, the Olympic Loop, the North Cascade National Park, Mt. St Helens, Mt. Rainer, the San Juan Islands, Mt. Baker and Lolo Pass.

My only complaint about the Pacific Northwet is our riding season for steady good weather doesn't start until after the 4th of July. If you want to ride in the Pacific Northwest and have 75 degree weather, no humidity, no bugs and no traffic, visit the great part of the country after Sept. 1. You won't be disappointed. Just saying.

Our hidden jewel is the North Cascades National Park with a 100 miles of ups, downs and turns without a gas station or 7/11. This photo was taken on June 12th 2012.

Oh, over rated roads:

The Black Hills any time in the summer. Lots of campers, bicyclists, bugs and high priced lodging. I am from there, choosing to live in the great Pacific Northwest.

Very over rated: Going to Alaska.
231wingman likes this.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Last edited by larryinseattle; 04-19-2017 at 01:01 PM.
post #137 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
I live smack dabb in the middle of this paradise and I can't thank you enough for the bad press. Yes, we have freeways that go north, south and east, but there are great secondary roads to ride to those same destinations. They make maps for people who wish to ride off the freeways.

I haven't read anyone bashing the Cascade Loop, the Olympic Loop, the North Cascade National Park, Mt. St Helens, Mt. Rainer, the San Juans and Lolo Pass.

Our hidden jewel is the North Cascades National Park with a 100 miles of ups, downs and turns without a gas station or 7/11.

Oh, over rated roads:

The Black Hills any time in the summer. Lots of campers, bicyclists, bugs and high priced lodging. I am from there, choosing to live in the great Pacific Northwest.
Yo @larryinseattle

I 'll have to recant the bad press and stand humbly corrected. But I was merely speaking of the I-5 maybe 167 or 99 between Portland and Seattle.

Like you, I am actually fond of WA and OR, they are my fav places to ride. Every Summer I end up in Seattle, went to grad school at SU, been around travelling those areas. You might sing me the song "I left my heart in Seattle" and make me cry.

So yea, I agree with you the bad press might have been limited in scope.

Tough I have to tell ya, I like the rustic areas on the East side of Olympia: Chinook, Long Beach, and crossing the bridge to Astoria...I love them log-towns for some reason. Maybe its because they got working people...the forgotten caste of the American culture.

This year (Summer) I am planning to take the Kingston ferry from Edmund and come around the entire coast line on me way to Seattle...How about sharing a cup of coffee? I bunk-down in Bellevue (friend's house).

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #138 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Yo @larryinseattle

This year (Summer) I am planning to take the Kingston ferry from Edmund and come around the entire coast line on me way to Seattle...How about sharing a cup of coffee? I bunk-down in Bellevue (friend's house).
I wasn't offended. I just felt the need to send a positive message about the Pacific Northwest. We who live here, can take our motorcycling opportunities for granted.

I owned a house in Kingston and commuted to Seattle via motorcycle year around for a few years. I sure would enjoy a cup of coffee with you when you get this way. I live a mile from the Edmonds ferry now right on the way to the ferry. Send me a pm.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #139 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Larry,

When is a good time to take that ferry? Least line up?

I presume it would be on non-traffic hours...last time I took that ferry was in the mid 80s when I was going to school there...and it was in a car.

You don't have to tie-down the bike, do you?
larryinseattle likes this.

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #140 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
I wasn't offended. I just felt the need to send a positive message about the Pacific Northwest. We who live here, can take our motorcycling opportunities for granted.

I owned a house in Kingston and commuted to Seattle via motorcycle year around for a few years. I sure would enjoy a cup of coffee with you when you get this way. I live a mile from the Edmonds ferry now right on the way to the ferry. Send me a pm.
OK, RTE to Larryinseattle's...
larryinseattle likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page