Over-hyped riding destinations - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 218Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Seasoned Member

I did the "Beartooth Highway" and the "Chief Joe", and while I enjoyed the Beartooth, the Chief Joe was terrible........nothing but super thick TAR SNAKES! The road crew that did that to that roadway should be forced to ride it on a motorcycle... The pucker-factor was terrible, and to make things worse, it was 90+F and they were like driving on dead squirrels.

Darksider #1358 Michelin Alpin 195/55-16
Watch these, America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGLbXXaEgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjNBvupzUM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Member

onthefence,

Moonshine is not bad during the week.
You can get an actual "Moonburger" from the Moonshine Store grill.
Not one cooked on a grill outside like at home like they do for the lunch run.
I get bored with it because I ride down with people many times during the Summer.
They want me to show them how to get there.

Doug
post #13 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Member

I live 20-30 minutes from Moonshine and have been there twice. Last time was more than 10 years ago. Why in the **** people want to drive hundreds of miles to go there is beyond me. First time is no ones fault. Second time is your own **** fault !

Cuda 383 4 speed Shaker Corvette Stingray 3LT 6.2L 455hp

post #14 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
I agree with you. We have been on a lot of stretches of road in Ohio and Pennsylvania that have made us both say "WOW! That was awesome" at the end. Blue Ridge and Skyline are both great roads that I don't want to minimize. Everyone should try to experience them both if they ever get a chance. But whenever we ride BRP and Skyline, there is never that same WOW factor. It is more like. "That was a nice ride." Blue Ridge can get repetitive and monotonous if you try to take in too much of it. It is the polar opposite of Deals Gap. The Dragon, in contrast, is too short for it to ever be considered a worthwhile destination. It's more of a worthwhile detour to take while passing through to other destinations.

It should be kept in mind that any road will eventually result in being unfairly taken for granted if you ride it too often. Nothing is ever as good as the first time.

One more just came to mind. I never understood the raving about Cherohola Skyway. It was nice, but not really great compared to other roads I have ridden. Based on what I read, I originally thought I must have been on the wrong road. I just kept waiting for the "awesome" part of it to start. Victim of over-hype maybe?
Where are you riding that these roads don't awe you?
Rapidray likes this.
post #15 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post

It should be kept in mind that any road will eventually result in being unfairly taken for granted if you ride it too often. Nothing is ever as good as the first time.

One more just came to mind. I never understood the raving about Cherohola Skyway. It was nice, but not really great compared to other roads I have ridden. Based on what I read, I originally thought I must have been on the wrong road. I just kept waiting for the "awesome" part of it to start. Victim of over-hype maybe?
I rode the complete BRP from North to South twice last summer in the span of three weeks. And I would've done it again if I'd had time. I've spent a lot of time on the BRP and I've loved every second. Riding south and coming around the bend to see the viaduct hanging off Grandfather Mountain....takes my breath every time. And I love riding with anyone seeing it for the first time. That's one of the most fun things ever...introducing riders to a kick ass road. Or kick ass views.

The Cherohala is magnificent to me. As is the Foothills...and Warwoman....and 19 between Cherokee and Maggie....and 64 from Franklin to Highlands...and 64 through the canyon west of Murphy...and Richard B Russell..and...I think I have spring fever.

I guess I'm weird, but I love getting familiar with the road. Knowing the curves, what's ahead.

And it seems like every time I ride, I'm working on something different, so the ride is always different. Last weekend on the BRP was the first time on the parkway with my new shield and the Mustang. Changes everything.
post #16 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

It's kind of like oil and tire discussions in that are no definitive right or wrong answers. For example, I would ride the Alaska Highway every summer if I had the time but I have talked to other motorcyclists who hated the trip. To each his own.

Other popular rides that I have a "been there....done that" attitude about are the Pacific Coast Highway and Blue Ridge Parkway. They were ok the first time but going back was a mistake.
cycledude and flat6bagger like this.

IBA # 8672
Darksider
NDSU Bison Fanatic
post #17 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybird View Post
Yellowstone and Bear Tooth Pass
Moab (Canyonlands, Arches, Colorado River canyon)
Pike's Peak
Rocky Mountain National Park (Estes Park)
Redwood National Forest (Northern CA and Southern OR)
Grand Staircase Escalante (Utah Hwy 12)

These are all GGGGGGGGreat !
Beartooth Highway over-rated? WOW!
jsrinhsv likes this.
post #18 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Member

I like the roads with lots of curves, the more they have the better I like it!! The Dragon has lots of good curves, with a promotion campaign second to none. I don't believe it to be the best road in the Smokeys, but hey they sell a lot of shirts, pins, etc. etc. All the promotion is attracting people from all over, some who really shouldn't be on that technical of a road. I believe the more it attracts, the more dangerous it becomes. If I'm in the area and plan to ride it, then it will be a morning ride during the middle of the week. I've done it several times like that and been mostly alone.

This discussion reminds me of the tire threads. We are all different and have different expectations when we ride. Retirement has allowed me the time to cover most of the really good curvy roads that I've read and/or heard about. Recently, I made the trip to the Hill Country in Texas because I had heard so much about the area. But I was really disappointed, big time!! In my opinion, it does not compare with the good stuff in Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, etc. etc.

So, was the Hill Country over-hyped? In my opinion, yes it was! But if you are from Texas and not had the opportunity to get out on some really good twisty roads, then maybe not. It is all relative to our own experience and expectations.
cycledude, robeth, shojac and 5 others like this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #19 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Member

We all are different.
That is what is cool about reading what people like and don't like about rides.
As long as people don't get all wigged out and start slamming each others opinion, it is cool with me.

Doug
cycledude and Steve F like this.
post #20 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Glacier Park

Road to the Sun. The scenery is breathtaking, the road sucks!
Stop and go traffic, lots of first gear slipping the clutch as traffic creeps along. It's almost always under construction.

Take the red bus so you can enjoy the views.

Rayjoe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page