Over-hyped riding destinations - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 218Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Like Terry Hammond the guy who actually started the Moonshine Lunch Run used to say some folks are motorcycle RIDERS and some are motorcycle owners, both are great ! I love every road I have ever ridden on ! Sure some are better than others but I love to ride and have never regretted any of it ! Well guess I kinda regret the ride home from pie night a couple years ago when I totaled out my low miles wing and spent a couple days in the hospital after hitting deer number 5 .

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Most over-praised ride I've done is the Natchez Trace. While historically important, and the site of Merriweather Lewis' grave, the Natchez Trace is the most snooze-inducing top ten road of all. Snoozing on a motorcycle is not recommended.

08 Pearl White Premium Audio
06 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

LOUD COLORS SAVE LIVES!

post #23 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Out West

Out West, surprised no one mentioned Mt. Evans, an interesting and challenging ride to the top. Also, Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park is an awesome ride through some incredible scenery and changing weather conditions as you go from the bottom to the top. Also, one of my favorites is the Poudre Canyon over Cameron Pass to Walden and then down into Steamboat Springs.

post #24 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I like the roads with lots of curves, the more they have the better I like it!! The Dragon has lots of good curves, with a promotion campaign second to none. I don't believe it to be the best road in the Smokeys, but hey they sell a lot of shirts, pins, etc. etc. All the promotion is attracting people from all over, some who really shouldn't be on that technical of a road. I believe the more it attracts, the more dangerous it becomes. If I'm in the area and plan to ride it, then it will be a morning ride during the middle of the week. I've done it several times like that and been mostly alone.

This discussion reminds me of the tire threads. We are all different and have different expectations when we ride. Retirement has allowed me the time to cover most of the really good curvy roads that I've read and/or heard about. Recently, I made the trip to the Hill Country in Texas because I had heard so much about the area. But I was really disappointed, big time!! In my opinion, it does not compare with the good stuff in Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, etc. etc.

So, was the Hill Country over-hyped? In my opinion, yes it was! But if you are from Texas and not had the opportunity to get out on some really good twisty roads, then maybe not. It is all relative to our own experience and expectations.
I'm from Texas and agree the 3 sisters are completely over-hyped. However...I've found some good roads around there that are better and with less traffic and if you go when the wildflowers are in bloom...they are just gorgeous. If you ever go back, go in mid to late March or early April and let me show them to you. I'm not going to pretend they are as good as the ones in your back yard in terms of actual riding, but they are still very fun and quite beautiful.

My list of over-hyped roads for MC riding...
Texas 3 Sisters (or Twisted Sisters)
Yellowstone....(GREAT place to see and hike through...just not on a motorcycle....too much traffic (NEARLY ALL THE TIME) and not a fun ride IMO)
Pacific Coast Highway....great views...not a great MC road IMO

On the great roads side that others have mentioned as over-hyped...I disagree on a couple. I think Deals Gap (Dragon) is a great road. It can be ruined by traffic and radar guns, but run it on Monday through Thursday morning around 9AM and it's great. I don't think it's better than all the roads around it, but it's an awfully great road. The other ones I disagree with that got mentioned
are Beartooth and Chief Joseph. I found them to be excellent roads and truly enjoyed them both. I plan to do both again this year on my way home from Glacier National Park and Going to the Sun road. (which I'm hoping is not over-rated...but I suspect is really not a great MC road with a lot of traffic...but has absolutely stunning views so I'm willing to take the chance and just plan to get off and walk around a few times.
Monk likes this.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

Last edited by 2WheelNut; 04-11-2017 at 12:27 PM.
post #25 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Attitude is everything. To me, riding good roads or bad will always be better than sitting on the couch.
cycledude, Elrod, Monk and 3 others like this.
post #26 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:17 PM
10 year Member

ANY ride that contains the words, covered bridge or bridge of flowers........

Mattbcnv
robeth and Steve F like this.

2007 Black Cherry Airbag*
2008 Black Cherry Motortrike
*Traxxion~Mega
LIMNCS #74
DS #925
“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” -John Wayne
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #27 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bear View Post
Attitude is everything. To me, riding good roads or bad will always be better than sitting on the couch.
A-freakin-men, Big Bear. I'm riding with you!
cycledude and Big_Bear like this.
post #28 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Seasoned Member

The over rated destinations for me have everything to do with the crowds and really not the destinations.

South rim of the Grand Canyon
Going to the sun road in GNP
The west side of yellowbelly NP.

Each of these places are a nuisance to ride in season but are spectacular when taken in context.

In addition, for me tight twistie roads are also a nuisance. I would rather ride Az 180 from Safford to Springerville that the more famous Az 191.

I prefer rolling in 5th gear with spectacular scenery with light traffic than grinding through tight twisties where your eyes can't leave the road.

But all of the above are really good stuff and better than any interstate.
post #29 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoe View Post
Road to the Sun. The scenery is breathtaking, the road sucks!
Stop and go traffic, lots of first gear slipping the clutch as traffic creeps along. It's almost always under construction.

Take the red bus so you can enjoy the views.

Rayjoe
Nothing like a quick twist of the throttle going from the Summit down to St Mary's on a hot summer weekday there I can tell ya.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.
post #30 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Member

This is the toughest crowd I've ever seen....lol
cycledude, jlbc212 and irish44395K like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page