Over-hyped riding destinations - Page 5 - GL1800Riders
 218Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I did Pikes Peak last summer, along with Skyline Drive. Skyline was a bit freaky, but not much of a "rider's road". Some of the mountain passes out of Canon City were really cool though. The most fun I've had while riding was a bunch of farm roads with quick 90 turns and tons of ups and downs (I couldn't see further than 300' in front of me because of all the rises in the road) right along the border of Ohio and WV.

2010 GL1800 Audio/Comfort (Red)
1981 Yamaha XS1100LH (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS850 (Sold)

Need manuals? Check out my website! Have manuals to share? I can host them! Just PM me!

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
-H. Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Member

I wonder how many Skyline Drives there are in the US. I have ridden four in four different states, and I haven't been to all that many places.
post #43 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Second Monk's read of the Hill Country in Texas. I lived in Dallas area for 18 years before moving to Arkansas and never made it to Big Bend. Just got back last week from my trip out there and have to say it was a bit of a yawn. We did the Sisters on the way down and Interstate on the way back so part of it is the droaning to get there and back, I suppose. I am now spoiled, out the door and great riding in AR or MO in 10 minutes. We had to go through a couple of customs check points outside of Big Bend, really just a wave through, looking to see if you are American. They stopped a group of Norwegian riders and checked them all out. We didn't even get off our bikes. They do have dogs too. So if you are packing without proper documentation or rolling you may want to consider the risk if you are headed out that way. Perhaps a small risk. Now South Dakota I could visit often without tiring of it.
Monk and revrunt like this.

2015 Black Audio/Comfort
2015 CSC Escapade Excel Trailer
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere (sold)
2007 Yamaha Venture (sold)
2005 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (sold)

'Roly Poly'

post #44 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Member

I reserve all roads in Illinois as over hyped. Just in case someone recommends one to you. Of course the roads leaving the state seem tolerable with dreams of curves and hills somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shellback - 1987

2017 - Goldwing Navi ABS
2011 - Road Glide Ultra
(For Sale)

post #45 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
I reserve all roads in Illinois as over hyped. Just in case someone recommends one to you. Of course the roads leaving the state seem tolerable with dreams of curves and hills somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The roads around Galena are ok, but compared to....well anyplace else they suck.

Doug
Rapidray likes this.
post #46 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
?........ Hill Country in Texas...........They do have dogs too. So if you are packing without proper documentation or rolling you may want to consider the risk if you are headed out that way.
I imagine Texas carry laws are similar to Arizonas....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0699.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	189593  
post #47 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Fifty View Post
I imagine Texas carry laws are similar to Arizonas....
The disadvantage of being a right handed, can't shoot and throttle at the same time 😂

2015 Black Audio/Comfort
2015 CSC Escapade Excel Trailer
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere (sold)
2007 Yamaha Venture (sold)
2005 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (sold)

'Roly Poly'
post #48 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
The disadvantage of being a right handed, can't shoot and throttle at the same time 😂
Need to practice shooting with the left hand also.

Doug
post #49 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
I wonder how many Skyline Drives there are in the US. I have ridden four in four different states, and I haven't been to all that many places.
Good question; did a google map search and it found 6; I know there a lot more than that. Have done Skyline Drive on the BRP, Cannon City CO (found out my ridding buddy squeals like a girl on that one), dinner at Alice's Restaurant on Skyline Drive just south of San Fransisco. Skyline Drive runs into Mulholland Dr. in LA., every once in a while you will see Jay Leno with one of his cars making the track. There are at least 3 skyline drives in Texas, one in Dallas, one in Texas City, Texas Park road 3 is known as Skyline Drive. There one out side of Comfort Texas that most of the Hill County Warriors do not know is there, shame http://texashillcountry.com/motorcycle-drive-comfort/ it is a nice ride.
-
Your probably getting the idea, I think there is a Skyline Drive in almost every state and some states have multiple Skyline Drives.
post #50 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
My wife and I went to a Road King Riders Forum Rally there many years ago. I told her I was a little nervous about riding the Dragon the next morning with the whole group. Well route 28 into Fontana Village is how we got there. The Dragon is right up the road from Fontana. About 5 Miles into the ride on the Dragon, all I saw were taillights and we all pulled up. Some yayhoo 18 wheeler had jackknifed his rig into the mountain and had BOTH lanes blocked!

When we got back to the Village that night and everyone was sitting around talking, I mentioned that I had been nervous about riding that day because of how hard RT 28 was coming into Fontana. I said RT 28 is WAY harder than the Dragon, and they all agreed.
28 rocks. In NC/GA/SC one of the best roads ever. **** bender. Moonshiner. Whatever the Baptists are calling it these days. I love every inch of that road. The piece between Bryson City and Franklin is sketchy sometimes. I was riding it once with a couple of BABCs on F6Bs and in about four miles we had to dodge a dog sleeping in the middle of the road, a roll of toilet paper, a bag of mulch, and a dude on a hover round waving a confederate flag.
Rapidray and Monk like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page