Over-hyped riding destinations - GL1800Riders
 218Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Over-hyped riding destinations

We hear a lot of "go here....it's the best riding in America" opinions. So, what are the riding destinations or events that you now consider highly overrated after you went there?

I'll start it out with my most overrated riding destination: The Dragon.

Flame away!

IBA # 8672
Darksider
NDSU Bison Fanatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 AM
Seasoned Member

DRAGON OVER RATED BECAUSE SO MANY BETTER ROADS AROUND COUNTRY. WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE IN ITS OWN RITE IS SO MANY CURVES IN SO LITTLE MILES - WITHOUT ANY STREETS OR DRIVEWAYS TO INTERFERE YOUR JOURNEY . 3 SISTERS WAS RATED IN TOP 10 ROADS IN COUNTRY DONT THINK RIDER WHO WROTE ARTICLE BEEN TO MANY PLACES ! THERES SOME "SCENIC " HIGHWAYS OUT WEST PUT A LOT OF ROADS TO SHAME !
Shiv and rickwinger like this.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #3 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:13 AM

Yellowstone and Bear Tooth Pass
Moab (Canyonlands, Arches, Colorado River canyon)
Pike's Peak
Rocky Mountain National Park (Estes Park)
Redwood National Forest (Northern CA and Southern OR)
Grand Staircase Escalante (Utah Hwy 12)

These are all GGGGGGGGreat !

post #4 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:59 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm not sure I would dare to put Blue Ridge Parkway in an overrated group... However, if you ride more than, I say, 50 miles on it you will see the same over and over again. I hope you'll pick up what I'm trying to say - it's beautiful nature, gorgeous views, curves,....but after a while it becomes same ol' same ol'... Not to mention that the low speeding limit doesn't help that, either. I understand why is it in place but it sure contributes the "same old" feeling after a while.

And yea, Dragon is overrated in the context that you can find the same and nicer roads in VA-WV area all day long. That said, Dragon have that feeling of being part of a large group of people with the same interest - on a nice day there's hundreds and hundreds of riders there, all doing and enjoying the same thing. In that context, it's somewhat unique. My wife and I never ride in a group and always prefer to ride by ourself and enjoy each other's company (it's "our time", our little "therapy") but we did enjoy the Dragon just for that "rider's spirit" that's present there.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Shimpy, megatwin, revrunt and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:09 AM
Seasoned Member

I guess it depends on what your definition of over-hyped is.

If it is because it isn't all it's cracked up to be, (no pun intended), then I don't agree. The Dragon is exactly what is advertised. If you expected more, that is your fault. It is unique, challenging, (If you don't ride it like an old lady), and a great change of pace from other roads. I have been there twice. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it both times, and have talked about it more than most roads we have ridden. Unlike most roads, there are not many Deal's Gaps around the country. That uniqueness will always be its legacy, regardless of whether it is your type of riding or not.

If the claim of over-hype is simply because it receives too much attention, then I will agree. The Deal's Gap Resort can be blamed for that. I have read that it is so crowded now that the fun has been taken out of it. It has become a place to avoid. Fortunately, we have already ridden it. We don't have to go back. Too many other roads to ride.

To me, Pike's Peak is far more over-rated. It would be a great ride if it weren't for the traffic. Any area that needs live traffic reports every day is a sign of an area to stay away from.

My favorite areas to ride would be difficult to find even if I gave you directions. The more desolate the better. There is no such thing as the best motorcycle road. There are thousands of great motorcycle roads in this country. Most roads that people say are the best are equaled by hundreds of other roads that are just as breathtaking.

Any road that is marketed by the tourism industry, (including state funded guides) has probably been ruined. I avoid destinations listed in tour guides. Everyone flocks to those areas, which kills all the fun. You have to ask yourself. "Am I looking for a destination, or great places to ride?"

Ironically, there rarely is such a thing as bad publicity. Just starting a thread out of the blue to say that Deal's Gap is over-hyped just adds to the hype and curiosity. Someone reading this thread is going to go there just to see what the fuss is all about.
harvey, txrider, MN Mike and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 04-11-2017 at 07:32 AM.
post #6 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Skyline Drive
JGDJR likes this.

Steve
2010 Audio/Comfort
Piggybacker XL Trailer
post #7 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Seasoned Member

I love all these roads and I love riding them again and again. I have preferences, but I can't imagine thinking they're overrated. There's a reason these roads are so popular and always on peoples' lists.

I don't care for the Pike's Peak-type road. I'm way too jacked up on the bike to have fun. But that's because of my failing as a rider and not because of the road. When I went up Pike's Peak, it was hailing. We followed a snow plow up. I shouldn't probably have done this, but there were Canadians in the group and I couldn't chicken out to Canadians. I was so tense at the top, I couldn't enjoy the scenery because my mind was screaming at me "WEHAVE TO GO BACK DOWN!"

Million Dollar Highway scared the **** out of me. I promised God all sorts of things to bring me off that road.

Ended up on the top of Mount Washington on a lark and felt the same way. My muscles will ache the next day from being to tense on the bike. But I can't relax with the dropoffs...and the gravel...and the wind...and the switchbacks....lol not my thing.

I rode up Grandfather Mountain with a couple of friends the other day and it was a piece of cake.

But the BRP is a work of art. I cannot get enough of that road and when people are in the area, I can't wait to ride it with them.

I'm not a fan of the GSMNP from Cherokee to Gatlinburg, but a lot of my friends think a lot of that road. The scenery is phenomenal, but the pop up camper tow-ers are playing "how many slow driver pull-offs can I pass?" and I can't hang with that.
post #8 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisunac View Post
I'm not sure I would dare to put Blue Ridge Parkway in an overrated group... However, if you ride more than, I say, 50 miles on it you will see the same over and over again. I hope you'll pick up what I'm trying to say - it's beautiful nature, gorgeous views, curves,....but after a while it becomes same ol' same ol'... Not to mention that the low speeding limit doesn't help that, either. I understand why is it in place but it sure contributes the "same old" feeling after a while.
I agree with you. We have been on a lot of stretches of road in Ohio and Pennsylvania that have made us both say "WOW! That was awesome" at the end. Blue Ridge and Skyline are both great roads that I don't want to minimize. Everyone should try to experience them both if they ever get a chance. But whenever we ride BRP and Skyline, there is never that same WOW factor. It is more like. "That was a nice ride." Blue Ridge can get repetitive and monotonous if you try to take in too much of it. It is the polar opposite of Deals Gap. The Dragon, in contrast, is too short for it to ever be considered a worthwhile destination. It's more of a worthwhile detour to take while passing through to other destinations.

It should be kept in mind that any road will eventually result in being unfairly taken for granted if you ride it too often. Nothing is ever as good as the first time.

One more just came to mind. I never understood the raving about Cherohola Skyway. It was nice, but not really great compared to other roads I have ridden. Based on what I read, I originally thought I must have been on the wrong road. I just kept waiting for the "awesome" part of it to start. Victim of over-hype maybe?
shojac likes this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 04-11-2017 at 08:09 AM.
post #9 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Events..
Moonshine Lunch Run for me.
Nice to see people I never met,but other than that,I could care less.
2,000-3,000 people (depending on who you believe)
Long lines for a burger cooked on a grill and even longer line for the use of 3 porta pottys is ridiculous.
The pie and ice cream were awesome though.

Doug
youngwinger1988 likes this.

Last edited by flat6bagger; 04-11-2017 at 08:18 AM.
post #10 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Overhyped might be a bit strong. There are places and events that I won't attend again. Events involving scores of bikes are out for me.

The Dragon scores pretty high on the list.

Moonshine. Just too busy all summer long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 - Goldwing Navi ABS
2011 - Road Glide Ultra
(For Sale)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page