overdrive slip ?? - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Shifting into 5th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdarkside View Post
so i just took if for 20 minute ride and have better idea what its doing,it did it like 3or 4 times . it only does it when you shift into fifth gear once you are in fifth it doesnt do it again.feels like sometimes when you shift to fifth it lands in a bad spot. it feels more like a little miss when yougo to fofth gear. its more of jerk feeling doesnt feel like tire slide at all,its def only does when shifting into 5th sometimes.
Multiple people on this board have reported needing to do a "double-tap" on the shift lever to make certain that it goes completely into 5th. I have had this issue. If it goes completely into 5th, I've never felt the hesitation. I've actually had this occur driving down the road with no recent shifts. I don't know how to describe the shift accurately, but it is like there are two "clicks" when it shifted into 5th. There was the main engagement and then a secondary small click when pulling on the shifter a second time. Sometimes I felt the second click and sometimes not. Also a good positive shift by pre-loading the shifter, fanning the clutch and maintaining some throttle during the shift would also help.

Mine was helped significantly by ZDDP+ added to my oil. There was a long and sometimes heated debate regarding ZDDP+ some time ago which has been deleted from the board, and I'm not wanting to bring that back up. However, it seemed to help me. Also fresh oil helps almost all Wings shift more easily.

Bottom line: This is a relatively common issue reported by members of this board and it does not necessarily mean that your transmission is about to go out.

Terry

DS# 1595
2009 Mesquite Brown GL1800 Airbag
2008 Pearl Alpine White GL1800 Airbag
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

so me dealer called with an estimate of $3300, anyone else get theres fixed by there dealer and how much?
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Call Goldwinger Doug in Fla. I'm surprised he hasn't joined us with this subject.. he's the best around, with transmission problems...

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captron View Post
Call Goldwinger Doug in Fla. I'm surprised he hasn't joined us with this subject.. he's the best around, with transmission problems...

Ronnie
That should be goldwingerGREG. Have another cup of coffee Ronnie. LOL

greyhound
2002 Illusion Blue

No one on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdarkside View Post
so me dealer called with an estimate of $3300, anyone else get theres fixed by there dealer and how much?
Too far away to actually do your work, unless you ship it. But give the shop foreman, Glen at El Campo Cycle Center in El Campo Texas a call.
(979)543-8442

Glen and his crew have done several transmission repairs and know what needs done to make it right. He should be able to give you a good estimate. As important, Glen can tell you an absolute minimum of the parts that need replaced. As I recall from a conversation a year or two back, Glen won't fix one without replacing the shift drum - apparent damage or not.

Good luck with getting it fixed.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

My friends bike had this problem. Sounds nuts, but with nothing to loose, try this, and if done right, might help. When in fourth gear, take it up to say 50 mph., back off throttle so decell is felt, quickly pre-load shifter, and with no clutch, here is important, lightly and barely turn throttle, and it will slap into fifth with some dispatch. Do this manny times correctly, and it may solve your problem. If done incorrectly, it could do more harm than good. So don't hold it against me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page