LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Seasoned Member

And they will have a 10 speed trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

When was the last time Honda introduced anything @ Wing Ding?

75GL1000
Prowler 8789

post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm Buying Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Don View Post
That's why it is a total redesign. There have been a number of patent filings which show a wing like bike. Those patents include a new front suspension (leading link?) and automated windscreen (up / down).

However, my plan is still to purchase a touring bike in 2018. IF Honda doesn't redesign the Gold Wing then I'll likely go with BMW, it is just soooo much more advanced. Although I "hate" to get the first year production of any vehicle, I did it for the GL1800 (and had a number of recalls and some unsolved longer term issues) but 2018 is when I plan to get a bike soooooo.
I also will buy a new touring bike in 2018!

All I have been waiting more than 3 years for Honda to update the wing so I can upgrade from the 2004 ABS wing I bought new. They have disappointed me again and again! I went to the Chicago motorcycle 3 years ago, 2 years ago and this year hoping for a new model wing. Didnít happen but more on what a factory Honda rep told me at the show later.

So tired of waiting I made up my mind I was going to buy a 2017 K1600GTL with the new added reverse for my 63-year-old legs. Lo and behold BMW decides to hold back the release of the 2017 K1600 in the states or I would be riding one now. Now it is reported it may be July before the K1600 is available here in the states. With the delay with the BMW I have decided I may as well wait for Honda to announce the 2018 wing. If it is the same wing as we have now with just color changes and a small wrinkle upgrade here and there, I will buy the BMW. The BMW has a LOT of nice things I want on my next touring bike right now.

Back to the Chicago show and the factory rep. I was nice but advised the Honda factory rep of my disappointment with Honda and Hondaís lack of a new upgraded wing. He advised we have been hearing that a lot for the last few years. I told the rep that I was tired of waiting and was ready to bike a new bike and I said I REALLY would rather buy a new redesigned wing but was ready to move on with the 2017 wing if needed. He took a deep breath and said, ďIf I were you, donít buy the 2017 wing and wait for the 2018 wingĒ. I know some will say, yea yea yea. But he seemed sincere in his tone and statement. Plus he was saying, donít buy a Honda GW now!

So take that for what it is and let the guessing and hoping continue. Itís easy to Monday morning quarterback now and say no it is never going to happen or it probably wonít happen. And it probably wonít. But if it does, Iíll look very hard at the new redesigned wing and if I donít like it, Iíll buy the BMW before the next riding season. I got tired of waiting loooong ago.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw2210 View Post
I also will buy a new touring bike in 2018!

All I have been waiting more than 3 years for Honda to update the wing so I can upgrade from the 2004 ABS wing I bought new. They have disappointed me again and again! I went to the Chicago motorcycle 3 years ago, 2 years ago and this year hoping for a new model wing. Didnít happen but more on what a factory Honda rep told me at the show later.

So tired of waiting I made up my mind I was going to buy a 2017 K1600GTL with the new added reverse for my 63-year-old legs. Lo and behold BMW decides to hold back the release of the 2017 K1600 in the states or I would be riding one now. Now it is reported it may be July before the K1600 is available here in the states. With the delay with the BMW I have decided I may as well wait for Honda to announce the 2018 wing. If it is the same wing as we have now with just color changes and a small wrinkle upgrade here and there, I will buy the BMW. The BMW has a LOT of nice things I want on my next touring bike right now.

Back to the Chicago show and the factory rep. I was nice but advised the Honda factory rep of my disappointment with Honda and Hondaís lack of a new upgraded wing. He advised we have been hearing that a lot for the last few years. I told the rep that I was tired of waiting and was ready to bike a new bike and I said I REALLY would rather buy a new redesigned wing but was ready to move on with the 2017 wing if needed. He took a deep breath and said, ďIf I were you, donít buy the 2017 wing and wait for the 2018 wingĒ. I know some will say, yea yea yea. But he seemed sincere in his tone and statement. Plus he was saying, donít buy a Honda GW now!

So take that for what it is and let the guessing and hoping continue. Itís easy to Monday morning quarterback now and say no it is never going to happen or it probably wonít happen. And it probably wonít. But if it does, Iíll look very hard at the new redesigned wing and if I donít like it, Iíll buy the BMW before the next riding season. I got tired of waiting loooong ago.
Yup, I'm with you on this one. If I can't get a redesigned Wing for 2018 that is at least as good as the new BMW then I'll be getting the BMW. And, from my BMW sources I hear that the 2018 will be released in summer 2017 as an early release. Although, how long it takes to get into shops is hard to say and with the following I suspect there will be a number pre-sold.

In any case I plan to have a new bike sometime in 2018.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 AM

2018 Goldwing

I had a 2012 BMW 1600 love the power and the ride but 5 to 6000 miles max on rear tire, after 2 long trips any having to plan trip tot places to service for tires when need was too much for me. Traded in for a 2013 Wing/abs and haven't looked back. Sometimes old school is better.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Seasoned Member

I had been riding a Triumph Thunderbird but wanted a touring bike. I heard all the rumors of an updated Wing but when the 2016's came out and there was no changes I decided I was too old to wait for even one more year. So far I really love my 2016 GW ABS model. But of all the things that I wish Honda had upgraded (a touchscreen monitor, Bluetooth, powered windscreen, a 6th gear, top opening side cases like HD, built in standard CB radio) DCT was not one of them. I had that type transmission on a 2007 Silverwing and found that I missed the control and feel of a real clutch and the shifting of gears. Anyway, when shopping for my 2016 GW I found dealers had few or no Goldwings on the showroom floor. Sales managers at several dealerships said that while they thought the GW was a great bike they weren't selling very many because of the high cost of these bikes. If Goldwing sales really are down everywhere I doubt that Honda will invest the money to upgrade the model at any time in the near future but would more likely replace the Goldwing with something totally new at a lower cost point.

Retired U.S. Army and now FULLY retired!
Former Instructor with the MSF
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Seasoned Member

I heard from someone who knows someone who's friends with a guy , that they will also be bring production back to the U.S.

Bill52
Wpg,MB
2004 Flare Red Gl1800A Goldwing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page