Wing Ding - Page 11 - GL1800Riders
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Wouldn't be much of a motorcyclist if we flew everywhere or drove to the venue pulling a trailer with the motorcycle in the back. Neither would be what I envision as having a good time.
Sounds like they got your $50 for parking. Flying is not my thing either, but it's just a suggestion. For a guy that has little time and 1000+ miles away, it's a viable option.

For me I couldn't imagine spending longer than a few hours at a Wing Ding. It would have to be near a area I'd like to ride around for me to go to one again. The Billings, MT one would of been good for me.

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
ehem! I beg your pardon sir! what is wrong with TX in the Summer time? In my book TX is a great place to be anytime.

Have you ever been in NY in the Summer? How about Louisiana?, Florida? Alabama? Arizona? Up Hwy 14 going North in CA? As Hendrix used to sing: "Are you Experienced" in the art of driving a bike through Summer Southern Hot fog? Apparently not. I 'll have you know it cleans your skin and extracts all the toxins out of your body while you ride a bike...much better than a suna.

I am not going to have any problem with the weather at WingDing cause I am staying in the hotel all day watching TV and drinking beer...and make the most out of that 50 dollar parking fee.
LOL, I stand corrected........

Jeff Gallagher
2012 Goldwing Lvl II
1996 Goldwing SE
1993 Goldwing Interstate
www.lesstraveledroadsgw.WordPress.com

"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there is little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971
post #103 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Sounds like they got your $50 for parking. Flying is not my thing either, but it's just a suggestion. For a guy that has little time and 1000+ miles away, it's a viable option.

For me I couldn't imagine spending longer than a few hours at a Wing Ding. It would have to be near a area I'd like to ride around for me to go to one again. The Billings, MT one would of been good for me.
My discussion about theater with Nanda withstanding, I've traveled through Texas enough to know they have remarkable riding country and roads to ride. I can't imagine going there for any time at all without a bike.

Montana was our first Wing Ding and we loved it. Spent a few hours checking out vendors and having goodies installed on the bike. But, the majority of our time was spent on roads we'd never been on before. A great experience and we'll worth theregistration fees. But, campgrounds were plentiful and hotels were comparatively cheap.
William Anzik and BigBendTX like this.

Jeff Gallagher
2012 Goldwing Lvl II
1996 Goldwing SE
1993 Goldwing Interstate
www.lesstraveledroadsgw.WordPress.com

"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there is little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

post #104 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpd44 View Post
I didn't mean to infer the parking fees were the major issue. It is, in fact, the cost of the host hotel. While I realize you get what you pay for, it seemed a bit exorbitant to spend 4 or 5 days for. Parking was an added tick. The main reason we aren't going is because, who on God's earth would willingly go to Texas in the middle of summer? Seriously?
Last couple of times it was over the July 4 holiday and they had great turnouts. Some people choose to live there! Different strokes...
Walrus, ocpd44 and Big_Bear like this.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #105 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpd44 View Post
My discussion about theater with Nanda withstanding, I've traveled through Texas enough to know they have remarkable riding country and roads to ride. I can't imagine going there for any time at all without a bike.

Montana was our first Wing Ding and we loved it. Spent a few hours checking out vendors and having goodies installed on the bike. But, the majority of our time was spent on roads we'd never been on before. A great experience and we'll worth theregistration fees. But, campgrounds were plentiful and hotels were comparatively cheap.
Bear with me here, it's sounding like my "motorcyclist" title is in question. Nothing wrong with Texas. I just prefer out in the middle of nowhere, to being all crammed in a big city with event that draws a fair amount of people. MT is more my speed. Also do to time restraints it would be not fun for me (and guessing a few others) to ride slab 1000+miles, to get to and from Texas in a weekend and go to a rally. That's why I suggested flying may work for some people, fly in Friday, home Sunday.

Plus it sounds like you got way more out of Wing Ding then I did, nothing wrong with that. Glad you had fun. People go just to meet up with friends they got to know over the years of being in GWRRA. I get that. If WD was in Minneapolis, (less than a hour away for me) I probably wouldn't go. So I'm sure the he!! not going to book a flight out of MPLS to fly to one. If I rode to one, it would be the ride to and around the destination, the event would pay a VERY minor part. So yet again flying is just a suggestion for some folks.
Len and ocpd44 like this.

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
post #106 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Wow, I have been in motorcycling for a long time and this is a first for me....It cost more for parking than it does to register for the event. Ya gotta hand it to the GWRRA, when it comes to fleecing the flock they write the book.
post #107 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold-Winger View Post
Wow, I have been in motorcycling for a long time and this is a first for me....It cost more for parking than it does to register for the event. Ya gotta hand it to the GWRRA, when it comes to fleecing the flock they write the book.
Perhaps that is why the registration fee is what it is. Maybe they were aware of the parking tariff and decided to give everyone a break on registration..
William Anzik likes this.
post #108 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Perhaps that is why the registration fee is what it is. Maybe they were aware of the parking tariff and decided to give everyone a break on registration..

And maybe the GWRRA has nothing to do with parking. Maybe the GWRRA is so powerful they could tell the Host Hotel not to charge for the rooms? MichaelB, Gold-Winger is a Troll. Don't feed him.

-

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990
post #109 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamper View Post
MichaelB, Gold-Winger is a Troll. Don't feed him.
-
Thanks for the heads up.
Jim Jackson and William Anzik like this.
post #110 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Lets play Password (if you are old enough)

wispering ==>the password is: Bureaucracy

...things that take long to make decisions...

...organizations that make decisions without its members approval...

...giant organization that rip-off people...

...Layers of authority that mandate policies from top to bottom...

BUREACRACY!...you got it!

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page