Wing Ding - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

The best thing I've found about GWRRA is finding a good active local chapter. I do like many of the classes but GWRRA in and of itself has turned into nothing but a shill for WD and many other travel programs. Witness the articles in WING WORLD. If they lost those items the magazine would be half its size. They don't even break between the current WD running before promoting the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ritsema View Post
We went to Madison also. (It was our first Wing Ding actually,) after buying our new F6B. Kind of like the Valkyries I owned previously I didn't really own a "real" Gold Wing and we felt somewhat out of place both due to our relatively younger ages, lack of matching apparel and stuffed animals on our bike. Truly the only reason I went was for the vendor area and that part of the event met all expectations.

Now that I have a full Wing things may be a bit different, but still the age gap, lack of matching clothing and stuffed animals remain.
If another one was held closer to me or at a destination I was interested in I would go for a day for the vendor area but that's about it.
First and probably last one for me was in Madison. I kinda felt the same way, and I owned a full wing. Only thing that differs from you, I was disappointed in the vendor area. Too much non-motorcycle related items, it felt like a flea market. They should work it, everything for sale has to be motorcycle related.

I really like the grassroots events like hosted by members of this forum. I been to quite a few events off the forum and none of them are a money grab. I like that, for a change.

With that said, I'm glad the GWRRA works for some. If the internet didn't exist, I'd probably be looking at joining.

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ritsema View Post
We went to Madison also. (It was our first Wing Ding actually,) after buying our new F6B. Kind of like the Valkyries I owned previously I didn't really own a "real" Gold Wing and we felt somewhat out of place both due to our relatively younger ages, lack of matching apparel and stuffed animals on our bike. Truly the only reason I went was for the vendor area and that part of the event met all expectations.

Now that I have a full Wing things may be a bit different, but still the age gap, lack of matching clothing and stuffed animals remain.
If another one was held closer to me or at a destination I was interested in I would go for a day for the vendor area but that's about it.
Dave, You certainly have the age thing on me as I am an old geezer! I understand about the clothes, I spent the best part of my adult life in a uniform so now I wear what I want and could care less about vests and such. Truthfully I see no good reason for the vests. They provide no protection and just add weight and then all the patches and pins. I could never win a GWRRA fashion show.

Yes, the vendor show can be very interesting but even it is getting long in the tooth. They now have folks selling all kinds of household stuff and such that has nothing to do with motorcycles.

I think the best part is the training courses that are available. Advanced riding courses, trailer towing courses, first aid and CPR and of course the courses on how to manage a chapter and various activities if that is your thing.

In addition to the cost noted above is the my biggest complaint is the lack of emphasis on rides at Wing Dings. I have never understood why there aren't more guided tours and such for folks to learn and see an area. And this year they have eliminated the Poker Run! A motorcycle gathering without a poker run--just sounds wrong! But that is just me as I prefer riding to playing games and pinewood derbys.

Harvey
04 GL1800
Ride Safe and Ride Often

post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Member

I agree about the proliferation of non motorcycle products in the vendor area, but I learned after being responsible for the vendor area for the Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club, (VRCC) for many years the non motorcycle specific items are appreciated by the co-riders if they didn't have their own bike. I tried to keep them generally powersports related such as sunglasses, ear plugs, clothing, biker jewelry, etc. The Tupperware and other home goods that I saw at Wing Ding seemed out of place to me also.
Some folks might like wearing matching clothing I suppose, but as has been stated by others I have worn a uniform for over 25 years and don't feel the need to do that to "fit in". Not slamming the GWRRA in any way, it just didn't seem to be a good match for us.

Previous Honda's Include:
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2013 Honda F6B

Firefighter for over 27 years, follower of Christ.
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I only live about 125 miles from the Dallas area, and I'm not going. Heck I don't even like driving a cage around that area, and like was already said Texas in august. Doesn't sound like much fun and add those costs =NO!!!

Mike
post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by remy2008 View Post
If you are staying at the Gaylord, there is a $10 parking fee plus on top of your room cost. That parking fee has been negotiated down from $18.50/day to $10 a day. This fee is imposed by the Hotel Parking Management, not GWRRA. For those who are not staying on the property, maybe staying at a different hotel or camping, we wanted to give you the opportunity to have in and out parking privileges for a flat fee of $50 for the duration of the event. That means you could go in during the morning, go out on a ride, come back in and the cost is included within this parking pass for the five days. With their current parking fee structure, without either staying on the property or buying this parking pass, you would pay $10 each time you went in and parked each time - even if you parked, then brought your bike into the building for service and then went back out to park. We, GWRRA, felt that was unfair for anyone staying off property and negotiated this parking pass option. This negotiated price was done with our Members best interest in mind. This gives you, our Member, the best possible option under the circumstances. These $50 parking passes can be purchased at the Valet desk inside the lobby of the Gaylord. For those staying at the Gaylord, simply use your room key to gain access to the parking areas.
This thread is about parking at Wing Ding...

Unfortunately, more and more hotels are starting to charge for parking. I stayed at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 2014 and parking was free for guests. I stayed there last month and there was a parking fee that the owners implemented for all their properties around the country and other places (in Vegas) were doing the same thing. Cashing in on everything. I think it's good that GWRRA negotiated the price down. This should at least trigger the thought of including these costs to a member when planning a Wing Ding. I'd bet the one in Billings was among the cheaper all around per participant. Although I have a BIG problem with them wanting $30-$35 to rent a wheel chair for a couple hours... I think that was the Billings Metra Center though, not GWRRA. So one year a more economy Wing Ding and the next a more grandiose Wing Ding. But get use to paying for parking at these places because they are all starting to charge.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800

Last edited by William Anzik; 04-18-2017 at 02:54 PM.
post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Don View Post
Ah, like the fairground at Billings? I seem to recall that worked rather well.
Yes, parking was great. Very easy and free! Access to the vendor area was nice too - very close to the parking lot. It's a great area for Wing Ding and I hope they have another one there soon.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy2008 View Post
If you are staying at the Gaylord, there is a $10 parking fee plus on top of your room cost. That parking fee has been negotiated down from $18.50/day to $10 a day. This fee is imposed by the Hotel Parking Management, not GWRRA. For those who are not staying on the property, maybe staying at a different hotel or camping, we wanted to give you the opportunity to have in and out parking privileges for a flat fee of $50 for the duration of the event. That means you could go in during the morning, go out on a ride, come back in and the cost is included within this parking pass for the five days. With their current parking fee structure, without either staying on the property or buying this parking pass, you would pay $10 each time you went in and parked each time - even if you parked, then brought your bike into the building for service and then went back out to park. We, GWRRA, felt that was unfair for anyone staying off property and negotiated this parking pass option. This negotiated price was done with our Members best interest in mind. This gives you, our Member, the best possible option under the circumstances. These $50 parking passes can be purchased at the Valet desk inside the lobby of the Gaylord. For those staying at the Gaylord, simply use your room key to gain access to the parking areas.
Remy2008, this is good information but I am curious why it is not on the GWRRA National site http://gwrra.org/ or on the Wing Ding 39 http://wing-ding.org/39/ site. I would think this is something that the membership of GWRRA would like to know.

Looking at the Wheel Chair rental form from Ace Mobility of Texas http://wing-ding.org/pdf/ACE-Mobility-rental-form.pdf, the charge for a manual wheel chair is $30 for all day. $55 for three to five days. More reasonable than Metra Center but they don't charge for parking.

Reading your post, remy2008, it appears that you are part of the GWRRA leadership. Perhaps you can persuade the leadership group to pass this info to the general membership.

Last edited by MichaelB; 04-18-2017 at 05:35 PM.
post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll add my two cents to the discussion by adding that I would have really liked to attend the Wing Ding, but having previously lived in South Texas for a number of years, I found it unbelievable that this rally would be held where it is at the time of year that it is. If going to a motorcycle rally meant traveling by air conditioned car and then staying indoors for the entire rally, then it might not matter. But I find it hard to believe that anyone WANTS to ride a motorcycle in Grapevine in August. I bought my Goldwing, my first, right around the time of the Wing Ding in Montana and would have liked to attend. I had thought about the 2017 Wing Ding until I found out where it was to be held. So instead I am planning on attending the Americade rally in June at Lake George, NY.

Again I will ask, why in the world would the GWRRA plan the Wing Ding this way? Makes zero sense to me. Final comment: when I bought my Wing I joined the local GWRRA and have found it to do something for me. I'm almost 74 and going to the monthly meetings makes me feel like a kid compared to the other folks there. I plan on taking some group rides with the local chapter this riding season, but if that is not to my liking I think my membership will not be renewed.

Retired U.S. Army and now FULLY retired!
Former Instructor with the MSF
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
But I find it hard to believe that anyone WANTS to ride a motorcycle in Grapevine in August.
I'm with you Vito. I lived in Biloxi for seven years and have no real desire to go back that direction during that time of year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page