Wing Ding - Page 6 - GL1800Riders
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehighways View Post
Like many other motorcycle "Rally's" Wing Ding is IMHO simply an excuse to go on a long motorcycle ride. The journey, not the destination sort of thing. It's as good an excuse as any I suppose. As for the vendors? I can almost see the same and more locally at the monthly L.A. Swap Meet. As for Texas? In August? Not Happening for me anyway. If you really want to go . . . I'd suggest a cheap flight to and from DFW Airport and a Taxi Ride to and from the Hotel. It'll be less expensive, you'll have 99.9% of the "experience" and you'll be reasonably comfortable. When you get back home . . . take a long ride somewhere that is actually a nice place to visit!
That's an interesting idea about the fly there and back. It actually makes a fair amount of sense for some folks I bet.

Interesting perspective!

1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2013 Honda F6B
2015 Honda GL1800 Anniversary edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
... YES I am a member have been since 2003 and have been to a number of Wing Dings. But in all honesty it is not the best event, usually the bet vendor show or at least on par with Americade, but that is failing fast.

I haven't been to Americade but I've been to Sturgis a couple of times. I don't know how Americade is for GoldWing accessories but they are few and far between in Sturgis. I personally like the Wing Ding event so I can get actually see some of the accessories first hand - there isn't much opportunity for that where I live. My wife can keep busy looking at trinkets and things while I go drool over the Wing goodies. It's a perfect environment.

Sadly, because of the internet they are all going downhill... I have no interest in going every year but I will go every few years and support the vendors when I can. I try to support rally vendors when I order online. Hopefully they will keep going and supporting the motorcycle events.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #53 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Seasoned Member

William Anzik, I do understand and agree with you on the vendor show as I also enjoy it.

I think you might also enjoy Americade as it is not just Harley oriented similar to Sturgis. As you note so well, the vendor shows and even the attendance of vendors at the shows is down. As you note, online sales have helped cause that as well as reduced attendance at the events.

But I confess, I like to go to an area and then have tours around the area by locals to show and tell me about the area. As someone noted above the trip is really more important than the destination for me also.
William Anzik likes this.

Harvey
04 GL1800
Ride Safe and Ride Often

post #54 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
William Anzik, I do understand and agree with you on the vendor show as I also enjoy it.

I think you might also enjoy Americade as it is not just Harley oriented similar to Sturgis. As you note so well, the vendor shows and even the attendance of vendors at the shows is down. As you note, online sales have helped cause that as well as reduced attendance at the events.

But I confess, I like to go to an area and then have tours around the area by locals to show and tell me about the area. As someone noted above the trip is really more important than the destination for me also.
I agree it's about the trip. I went to last year's Wing Ding in Billings, MT from Helena, MT but I traveled over 1,000 miles to get there (through Idaho, Washington and Canada).
larryinseattle likes this.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #55 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

Yes, the vendor show can be very interesting but even it is getting long in the tooth. They now have folks selling all kinds of household stuff and such that has nothing to do with motorcycles.
Having some of the booths filled with other than motorcycle stuff may help underwrite the cost to rent the pavilion for GWRRA, just saying.

post #56 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehighways View Post
Like many other motorcycle "Rally's" Wing Ding is IMHO simply an excuse to go on a long motorcycle ride. The journey, not the destination sort of thing. It's as good an excuse as any I suppose. As for the vendors? I can almost see the same and more locally at the monthly L.A. Swap Meet. As for Texas? In August? Not Happening for me anyway. If you really want to go . . . I'd suggest a cheap flight to and from DFW Airport and a Taxi Ride to and from the Hotel. It'll be less expensive, you'll have 99.9% of the "experience" and you'll be reasonably comfortable. When you get back home . . . take a long ride somewhere that is actually a nice place to visit!

Maybe, but as peoples go, riders can find a places to go, a rides to do, a person to visit, etc. and enjoy riding without the constraints and expenses of these types of rally. And, it appears to me, what people are complaining about here is the constrains.

Albeit, these constrains may be necessary for the organization's economy and legal protection...but ain't that what organizations do? Self protect?Take the fun out of things...spook out spontaneity.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #57 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Seasoned Member

OP was about parking fees at Wing Ding. Thanks to the OP for posting this information.

Also a big thanks to those who wanted to bash the GWRRA but showed some restraint and didn't post at all. Your blank post was appreciated.

I won't go to Wing Ding in Dallas in August. It is just not a destination I want to end up at. Like many have said, it is a reason to get on the bike and go and gives one a destination. Dallas in August. No. I am going to he11 soon enough.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter
2011 Honda 125cc PCX Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Last edited by larryinseattle; 04-22-2017 at 02:04 PM.
post #58 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
OP was about parking fees at Wing Ding. Thanks to the OP for doing posting this information.

Also a big thanks to those who wanted to bash the GWRRA but showed some restraint and didn't post at all. Your blank post was appreciated.

I won't go to Wing Ding in Dallas in August. It is just not a destination I want to end up at. Like many have said, it is a reason to get on the bike and go and gives one a destination. Dallas in August. No. I am going to he11 soon enough.
Larry, I got news for you kid: You are going to Heaven! I have clout up there and I put in a word for you already.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #59 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Nando, I think you are correct although a lot of this can be done at a lot lower cost! But for me in addition to the riding is the opportunity to make friends and visit with friends from all over the world. Many of them would not come together were it not for the rally. Unfortunately this is not as true of the Wing Ding as GWRRA by accident does divide its folks into chapters and they tend to be very close knit and with little contact elsewhere as opposed to the Venturers.org, or the Motorcycle Touring Asssociation. Folks come from all over the world and freely interact, but the group is much smaller when compared to GWRRA.
Nando likes this.

Harvey
04 GL1800
Ride Safe and Ride Often
post #60 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:28 PM

I agree - thus was about parking at WD - don't think anyone is trying to bash GWRRA. I am one of the old life members - joined back in 1983 - so, its been 34 years.

What I (and I posed on the GWRRA boards) and others are saying is that we simply believe it is not fair to have to pay such price for parking. Never before at all of my WDs have I ben asked to pay for parking - and am especially bothered that they suggest if I say visit the vendors for one day and go in and our, I have to repay to again the bike.

Here is the letter I sent - lets see if I get a response.

Gaylord Texan Resort
1501 Gaylord Trl.
Grapevine, TX 76051

Dear Sir/Madame:

My name is Don Ferguson –my wife and I currently live in Michigan –almost 1200 miles or so from you. We are “life” members of GWRRA (and also Marriott Rewards members). We also ride motorcycles and enjoy our time simply traveling around visiting a number of places, including venues like Wing Ding.

Last year, we were in Billings, MT – our first time ever and we had a blast. When we learned that Wing Ding was going to be in Taxes this year, I suspect we were the first to register. A number of our cold Michigan winter hours were spent arranging the perfect trip to Texas this summer – all Marriot hotel stays along the way have been booked. We are also registered for four (4) days at a Marriott property in Texas.

Today, we got a note from GWRRA indicating that there will be a $10 parking fee for our visit to your hotel. If I left and came back, there would be another $10 fee. I could however, pay you $50 which would allow us in and our visits.

I will just cut to the chase – I called GWRRA and said absolutely not. I also called your hotel, gave them my name and said absolutely not. I refuse to allow you to hold me hostage when you have an estimated 5000 or so riders coming to your areas to spend upwards of $5 million in just a 5-day period.

If we are not that important to you, I will simply cancel my Texas trip and all of my Marriott reservations. Our motorcycle Boards are ringing about his very thing – and I promise you – several others feel the way I do.

With this letter, I am also sending a copy to your Convention Bureau – 636 S. Maun St. Grapevine, TX 76051. Who knows, perhaps my comments will not make a difference. However, as I cancel each room, when they ask why, I will let them know that it is because one of the sister hotels, in my opinion, found it necessary to charge our motorcycles to park during the Wing Ding Convention.

Today’s question – how much do you not gain if parking were free? How much do you lose if no one comes? When you balance that – we can all be winners.

Sincerely,

Donald M. Ferguson

CC. Grapevine Convention Bureau
06winger, 2WheelNut and Nando like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page