Anyone using the Bohn system? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Anyone using the Bohn system?

I've seen their ads for the last few years and have been intrigued by the idea of some armor protection underneath my clothes. I'll admit that normally I ride (in hot weather) with just jeans and a t-shirt, and obviously would be in a bad way if I go down. I'm sure the armor features would be helpful. What I am really wondering before plunking down over $300 for a shirt/pants set, is whether or not it would be just too **** hot to wear in the summer, regardless of their advertising claim. I would order their warm weather version to try to reduce the chances that it would keep me so hot that it would end up being a $300 bottom-of-the-drawer liner instead of helping me on the road. I would really like to hear from anyone who has bought and used this product. Thanks.

Retired U.S. Army and now FULLY retired!
Former Instructor with the MSF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Hey Vito... I wear the normal weight version with knee/shin, tailbone & hip armor under riding pants. Pretty warm in summer. I was considering the mesh version for this year. Don't believe their crap about wearing it under your regular jeans and that you can't see it's there... unless your jeans are pretty loose-fitting. Directly under Tourmaster pants works for me. I think their armor is C2.

Fighting for YOUR right to revise any post you don't like.
'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I wouldn't care if the armor shows. But for me, getting really over heated takes all the fun out of riding. I know folks say that a good mesh jacket is cooler to wear than just a t-shirt, but I have not found that to be the case. Maybe when you are moving, but most riding involves at least some stop and go activity, if not stopping and waiting, and full gear gets awfully hot when the temps go up into the 90's. I'd rather not buy this gear if it ends up being something I can only wear comfortably in the late fall or early spring when I might otherwise think it too cold to enjoy any riding.

Retired U.S. Army and now FULLY retired!
Former Instructor with the MSF

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Bought the lightweight "summer" version of pants (like panty hose with armor); it was reasonably cool - nothing is cool when sitting still. My problem (and why it is drawer liner now) is the knee pads were pressing tight against knees and extremely uncomfortable to distraction after 4 -5 minutes. Just another factor to consider.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Member

I too bought the lightweight version and it is quite thin material with the armor built in. I have put in the drawer also due to the constricting feeling I have with this stretchy nylon hose feeling stuff against me. If I take a trip, I go with armored jean like pants and a good protective jacket. The soaker vest works pretty well in the dry climate but if is heat and humidity, if your aren't moving, it's going to be hot. I know my full mesh jacket idea has been trashed but in my daily commutes it works very well. On trips I use the Tourmaster 4 jacket.

Back to the original question, the Bohn is a great idea, but in practice it has it's drawbacks. Oh, I almost forgot, the first time I tried the pants on I put a small tear in the material trying to pull them up. Not saying it a bad product, just offering my observations.

Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway.
John Wayne.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks folks- I also had the same question!

Now I have my answer...............

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

I got an answer to a question I didn't have to ask...looks like I'll stick with the regular weight and be a little warm (but well-protected). The mesh sounds terrible.

Fighting for YOUR right to revise any post you don't like.
'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Seasoned Member

I bought the Bohn pants a few years ago and after trying them on, I returned them. I thought they were just too bulky to wear under your pants unless you are willing to upsize your pants...plus they felt way too hot to wear behind a fairing. I think they would be great if your riding a on/off road type bike where you are more likely to fall over in the loose dirt or gravel and land on a rock, tree root or something...but just overkill for touring on a Gold Wing IMO...I went with Kevlar jeans and armor riding pants

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frank
Bear, Delaware
03 Candy Orange

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page