I know better but here goes !!!!!! - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Red
Chard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
That's not really true. 10w-30 and 10w-40 is the recommended oil even for the early GL1800s. 20w-50 is listed as an alternative only when average high temp conditions are extreme. It doesn't apply to most riders.

You really like to split hairs don't you! If extreme temps are above freezing then your statement is correct.....
JW. and StanC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Italian Stallion
The only "Quicksilver" that comes to mind is my 'Quicksilver' credit card from Capital One, where I get 1.5% on every purchase, every time. What's in your wallet?

I know that this is off topic, but I wanted to interject some humor. Sorry if I've offended someone.

I.S.
shojac and StanC like this.
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to beckhardt
Probably in the minority here but I always use Honda oil and filter. Niehaus can usually beat anyone around for price.
gulfrider likes this.

post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I use the Quicksilver 20-50 in two bikes down here: a) a 2008 Buell 1125r with a Rotax engine, it runs very HOT and the engine "likes" the quicksilver fluid...shifts good, no clutch slip...my biggest issue is the heat both from engine operation and the air temp down here...summer is on it's way, in the last couple of years we used to have "May Grey" and "June Gloom" but now it seems to go from winter to summer ( it's gonna be in the 90s this weekend) ...I like the way the bike runs and shifts with it ...the big twin is tough on it's clutch ( I run Barnett plates in the Buell) works so well that other Big Twin (HD) guys must have discovered it... as the local WM is out. b) I have 2012GW , I run a belly pan, in the summer months I tried the Quicksilver Oil (20-50) in 2015...when cool ( like early in the AM), it is adds a little more effort to shifting...the engine seems quieter ( timing chain noise) gas mileage doesn't seem to be affected ( we run around 80MPH down here so we don't get run over by the big trucks coming North from Mexico...range = 200 miles on a tank) and once summer arrives the extra effort for shifting is not noticeable...the clunk from 1st to 2nd is quieter as well....in the winter months I run T6, it is easier to shift, and the clunk is louder from 1st to 2nd...I ran the 2015 3 flags with Quicksilver in the bike ( 2 up, fully loaded on the road for two weeks) went from TJ to Vancover ( in about 3 days...long days in the saddle) and then up to Whistler and then back home to Sun Diego...no issues with the Quicksilver oil...you may remember that Mercury Marine was responsible for Corvette engine production a few years back...possibly some of that experience went into formulating the oil....I like the stuff, will continue to use it in the HOT summer months.

"Experience" is a tough teacher, as you get the test first and the lesson later...
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaron View Post
I use the Quicksilver 20-50 in two bikes down here: a) a 2008 Buell 1125r with a Rotax engine, it runs very HOT and the engine "likes" the quicksilver fluid...shifts good, no clutch slip...my biggest issue is the heat both from engine operation and the air temp down here...summer is on it's way, in the last couple of years we used to have "May Grey" and "June Gloom" but now it seems to go from winter to summer ( it's gonna be in the 90s this weekend) ...I like the way the bike runs and shifts with it ...the big twin is tough on it's clutch ( I run Barnett plates in the Buell) works so well that other Big Twin (HD) guys must have discovered it... as the local WM is out. b) I have 2012GW , I run a belly pan, in the summer months I tried the Quicksilver Oil (20-50) in 2015...when cool ( like early in the AM), it is adds a little more effort to shifting...the engine seems quieter ( timing chain noise) gas mileage doesn't seem to be affected ( we run around 80MPH down here so we don't get run over by the big trucks coming North from Mexico...range = 200 miles on a tank) and once summer arrives the extra effort for shifting is not noticeable...the clunk from 1st to 2nd is quieter as well....in the winter months I run T6, it is easier to shift, and the clunk is louder from 1st to 2nd...I ran the 2015 3 flags with Quicksilver in the bike ( 2 up, fully loaded on the road for two weeks) went from TJ to Vancover ( in about 3 days...long days in the saddle) and then up to Whistler and then back home to Sun Diego...no issues with the Quicksilver oil...you may remember that Mercury Marine was responsible for Corvette engine production a few years back...possibly some of that experience went into formulating the oil....I like the stuff, will continue to use it in the HOT summer months.

Hondaron, That is good info. and what I was wondering about, I'm a fairly recent transfer (about 3 years) to SoCal and can relate to the heat, hence the use of the 20/50, the heat has not stopped me from riding & like you I enjoy the longer rides. It is starting to heat up here in the Desert I think I will pick up a gallon and try it for my self. if it can reduce the "Clunk" I will be happy!! Not knocking the Rotella, and there are many that will disagree, but I find the bikes just shift to "Hard" after a few hundred miles using that stuff. With the triple digit temps we experience in the S.W I just am not comfortable using it, no argument intended just my opinion, Thanks for that info. it was very helpful!
post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I will suggest checking into Mobile1 Racing 4T oil. It is made for motorcycles.This works great in the wing. Plus the transmission will like it a lot also. I like the fact that when I shift gears, I hear a click, not the famous clunk.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/m...3436/8026541-P
thekid, dosxxs and Steve F like this.

2008 Titanium - Audio, Comfort, Navigation, Billet lower tree, All balls, Led tail and head lights, Switchback front led turn signals.

Last edited by Dodgehemi61; 04-19-2017 at 01:07 PM.
post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgehemi61 View Post
I will suggest checking into Mobile1 Racing 4T oil. It is made for motorcycles.This works great in the wing. Plus the transmission will like it a lot also. I like the fact that when I shift gears, I hear a click, not the famous clunk.
Listen to this guy. He's got it goin on. I use the Mobil 1 in everything since 1993. You just can't beat it and they've got an oil for everything.
dosxxs and Dodgehemi61 like this.
post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgehemi61 View Post
Definitely a great oil. I use it in my track bikes and my Grom.

It's great in the Wing too...just expensive and more than it needs.

If I used it, I'd definitely go the full 8K miles between changes.

I use Rotella Dino 15W40 which is 1/4 the cost for a gallon than the Mobil 1 4T racing MC oil. I change at 5K instead of 8K with the cheaper oil Still costs way less and more than sufficient for the Wing.

If I'm taking a trip more than 5K miles, I'll put in the Mobil 1 racing 4T so I don't have to change on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaron View Post

I mean, I appreciate an oil post as much as anyone, but could you cut me some break with some paragraphs. Do we have anything against paragraphs nowadays?

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think it is the poster's fault. I've noticed that the reply function is acting up. Maybe it is because I was using Firefox. I've just changed back to Chrome and it doesn't seem to have those issues. In order to make paragraphs when I was using Firefox a little bit ago, I've had to insert a HTML break code {<br>}in the reply window. If I did not preview the post I would not have seen that. I make so many typos that I always preview the post and subsequently I see the editing issues.

I initially thought that it was being caused on my end but maybe it is affecting others too.

Using Chrome now doesn't seem to be an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page