I know better but here goes !!!!!! - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Even after updating Firefox browser and restarting the PC, there are still issues with it.

Firefox had updated a couple of weeks ago and I've had problems with the browser since then and that is why I switched to Chrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
I mean, I appreciate an oil post as much as anyone, but could you cut me some break with some paragraphs. Do we have anything against paragraphs nowadays?
Nando I'll beat you to within an inch of your life for starting that stuff. Lol
post #23 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckhardt View Post
Probably in the minority here but I always use Honda oil and filter. Niehaus can usually beat anyone around for price.

That's me too...OEM all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Life is tough...but it's tougher when you're stupid"
Credit John Wayne

post #24 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
Nando I'll beat you to within an inch of your life for starting that stuff. Lol
Shooter,
Apparently they don't use paragraph in Firefoxville. It saves space cause the world is getting too crowded.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #25 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Member

I saw the Quicksilver too at WM the other day but didn't buy it. I was wondering about the 20w50 and shifting.

My old 88 "LOVED" the Chevron Delo and i mean with capitol letters. It was so clunky and hard to shift on anything else. I tried so many different oils in that bike. Even the VERY expensive NAME brands didn't do well, but it shifted so smooth on the Delo. Sorry, Honda oil didn't work very well in that bike either. I had that bike for 11yrs so i got to try a lot with it in the time I owned and rode it. Thought the tranny was going to go because it just kept getting worse and worse until the Delo.

This '12 seems to be a different animal. Bought the bike with 1600mi on it in Dec.2015 and changed to Delo 15w40. Shifts seemed better especially when cold before the oil warmed up and made it seem like an even thicker oil might work better but never tried 20w50 yet.

Next change was Valvoline motorcycle oil 10w40 and shifts seemed better. Next time it needed to be changed I went back to Delo and noticed it shifting clunkier. Hmmm so it seems to like the Valvoline when my 88 didn't.

20w50 is too thick for when it gets cold here but was curious how well the Quicksilver works in the summer. Might have to try it and find out.

Getting harder to find reasonably priced motorcycle oil to try anywhere around here. They think it should cost twice as much. Walmart doesn't have the Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil anymore. I had bought it on clearance last year and NLA from them.

2012 GL1800- 10,900 mi.
78-750 Honda
67 Suzuki X6 Hustler

Bridgestone G851 Excedra ZR- 1300 miles so far
Pirelli Snow Control III-R/F- 3800 miles so far
with 31-36psi cold depending on where i am riding that day
post #26 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:04 AM
Seasoned Member

I still get Valvoline motorcycle 10W40 at Walmart for $3.97 a quart locally.

2008 GL1800, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200ES
post #27 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

Royal Purple 10W30 full synthetic. Also run it in both my Honda generators.
post #28 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Red Line 20-50 Full Synthetic here. I live in the desert and need all the help that I can get.

Semper Fi
2001 Goldwing
2013 Ninja 300
1996 Pacific Coast
1994 Honda Magna
post #29 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Even after updating Firefox browser and restarting the PC, there are still issues with it.

Firefox had updated a couple of weeks ago and I've had problems with the browser since then and that is why I switched to Chrome.
The V Bulletin HTML text editor used on this board is not very good. It tends to override and ignore a lot of keyboard input. The problem is not with Firefox. Not only that, but addons like UBlock Origin can jumble things up in the text editor, and cause intended paragraph breaks to be removed.

Tor browser, which is essentially Firefox in high security mode, does not like web based text editors.

Firefox did have an update go sideways a couple of weeks ago, but immediately put out another update to correct the problems. It happens.
post #30 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
That's not really true. 10w-30 and 10w-40 is the recommended oil even for the early GL1800s. 20w-50 is listed as an alternative only when average high temp conditions are extreme. It doesn't apply to most riders.
10W-30 was not a recommended viscosity weight for the 2001 MY gl1800's. Bottom of page 3-10 in the service manual. "Recommended Engine Oil" Honda GN4 4 stroke oil or equivalent motor oil API service classification SF or SG, Viscosity SAE 10W-40."

The oil viscosity chart at the top of page 3-11 shows the other viscosities that may be used depending on average temperature. 10W-30 is at the bottom with a temp range of 15 deg. F to 90 deg F. 20W-40 and 20W-50 are at the top of the chart, temp range of 30 deg F to past 100 deg F.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page