I know better but here goes !!!!!! - GL1800Riders
 43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 24
I know better but here goes !!!!!!

Time for my yearly oil change, I normally use Mobil 1 (15/50) picking up the oil I noticed "Quicksilver" 20/50 dedicated motorcycle oil on the shelf, anyone have any experience with this brand? I understand this is a "Dangerous" topic but if we stay on subject I think we can get through it. Thanks
DocD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Seasoned Member
 
Snowmoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
Posts: 254
Saw that at Wal Mart last night. If I remember correctly, Quicksilver is Mercury Marines brand name for their two stroke and 4 stroke boat engine oil. They may of just decided to expand into motorcycle oil also.

I will just stick with Rotella T 6.
Road Runner, Capt. Bob and kc8cta like this.

Dan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AMA Life
2012 GL1800
1988 GL1500
1977 GL1000
1988 NX 650
Snowmoer is offline  
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member
 
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
Time for my yearly oil change, I normally use Mobil 1 (15/50) picking up the oil I noticed "Quicksilver" 20/50 dedicated motorcycle oil on the shelf, anyone have any experience with this brand? I understand this is a "Dangerous" topic but if we stay on subject I think we can get through it. Thanks
I say use any oil you wish. It's your money and your motorcycle.

Last edited by MichaelB; 04-19-2017 at 12:08 AM.
MichaelB is offline  
 
post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Member
 
Rusty360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 161
I normally use Mobil 1 (15/50)

Just curious the manual calls for 10W30 or 10W40 why such a heavy weight oil?

----------------------------------------------------------------




2014 Audio comfort


Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
Rusty360 is offline  
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Red
Chard Member
 
Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Clearwater, Fl
Posts: 11,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty360 View Post
I normally use Mobil 1 (15/50)



Just curious the manual calls for 10W30 or 10W40 why such a heavy weight oil?


20/50 was a recommended weight for the early 1800's.
Red is offline  
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I say use any oil you wish. It's you money and your motorcycle.
MichaelB, Thanks, I will and it is, I was just curious if anyone on the forum has used this brand and if so their opinion, mainly in regards to the shifting, the "Wing" is a fine ride but the "Clunky" gears is something I expect on the BMW but find quite surprising on the Goldwing, I have ridden a few Honda's and most were silky smooth. My thinking is that maybe a dedicated motorcycle oil may help. The heaver Mobil 1 (20/50) is what I prefer but I couldn't find it today, but did notice the 20/50 Quicksilver on the shelf, cost was about equal, maybe I'll just try a gallon and form my own opinion, Thanks for the input
DocD is offline  
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member
 
Shooter F6B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hillsboro MO
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty360 View Post
I normally use Mobil 1 (15/50)

Just curious the manual calls for 10W30 or 10W40 why such a heavy weight oil?
Glad you asked it. Its not good to use too thick of a oil. Hurts fuel mileage and engines designed to use a thinner oil sometimes will not get that thicker oil to where it needs as fast in cooler weather.
Shooter F6B is offline  
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:28 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lincoln, ne
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
MichaelB, Thanks, I will and it is, I was just curious if anyone on the forum has used this brand and if so their opinion, mainly in regards to the shifting, the "Wing" is a fine ride but the "Clunky" gears is something I expect on the BMW but find quite surprising on the Goldwing, I have ridden a few Honda's and most were silky smooth. My thinking is that maybe a dedicated motorcycle oil may help. The heaver Mobil 1 (20/50) is what I prefer but I couldn't find it today, but did notice the 20/50 Quicksilver on the shelf, cost was about equal, maybe I'll just try a gallon and form my own opinion, Thanks for the input


I was curious about Quicksilver also. I ended up trying Valvoline mc oil from Wally's instead. I do think the shifting is smoother with it. I was using Shell t6 prior to that.
231wingman is offline  
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
20/50 was a recommended weight for the early 1800's.
That's not really true. 10w-30 and 10w-40 is the recommended oil even for the early GL1800s. 20w-50 is listed as an alternative only when average high temp conditions are extreme. It doesn't apply to most riders.
Sparky57 is offline  
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:22 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty360 View Post
I normally use Mobil 1 (15/50)

Just curious the manual calls for 10W30 or 10W40 why such a heavy weight oil?
It's pretty typical for a motorcycle engine, especially one that was designed almost 20 years ago. Nothing unusual about it.

Don't compare against today's cars. They don't have shared crankcases and wet clutches.
Sparky57 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome