Russell Day Long safe for shorter riders? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 21
RDL doesn't customize these seats to the rider because if he did then he would customize them so shorter people could be flat footed with their feet down. For that kind of money that RDL charges, it should be spot on with how you want it, you shouldn't have to slide up or stand on your tip toes to hold it up.
dhobbs74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member
 
Nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
RDL doesn't customize these seats to the rider because if he did then he would customize them so shorter people could be flat footed with their feet down. For that kind of money that RDL charges, it should be spot on with how you want it, you shouldn't have to slide up or stand on your tip toes to hold it up.

Correct.

I thought I read a couple of 'overly-idealized' descriptions of the RDL. Don't get me wrong, the RDL is the top dog in touring comfort.

However, they do add a minimum of 1.5inch the height of your seat and I have heard of some who have had more than that added to the height. Their sale-moto is that they are gonna make a comfy seat regardless of your reach.

I am not of the mind that tip-toeing at the stop with a 900lbs is an 'ok' situation, but that is up to the individual.

Here is my critique: If you have to add a couple of inch with a spring (as RDL does) to a seat in order to make it comfortable, well heck, anyone can do that. I can put two pillows on the stock seat and make it comfortable.

That is the reason why I have turn to Seth Laam seats for aftermarket seats on my bikes. He can make a comfortable seat while maintaining height. Its been my experience that he makes the best out of your stock seat.

Whereas RDL has a formated seat construct for everyone. They got different shaped models, but their most comfy is that half moon and its the same seat for everyone.

They do ask for sitting-data from you; but their seats are same o'...

One option is to lower the bike; another guy I know had a really thick sole put on his riding boot (he looks like a member of KISS (rock band) with them boots on.
dhobbs74 likes this.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
Nando is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member
 
ptgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 40
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
RDL doesn't customize these seats to the rider because if he did then he would customize them so shorter people could be flat footed with their feet down. For that kind of money that RDL charges, it should be spot on with how you want it, you shouldn't have to slide up or stand on your tip toes to hold it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
Correct.

I thought I read a couple of 'overly-idealized' descriptions of the RDL. Don't get me wrong, the RDL is the top dog in touring comfort.

However, they do add a minimum of 1.5inch the height of your seat and I have heard of some who have had more than that added to the height. Their sale-moto is that they are gonna make a comfy seat regardless of your reach.

I am not of the mind that tip-toeing at the stop with a 900lbs is an 'ok' situation, but that is up to the individual.

Here is my critique: If you have to add a couple of inch with a spring (as RDL does) to a seat in order to make it comfortable, well heck, anyone can do that. I can put two pillows on the stock seat and make it comfortable...

I have to disagree with the above, I have had two RDLs, and my wife has had one. All were on big bikes (two Valkyries and now, my Wing). Yes, when you get them new, they are a little bit higher, but they settle in pretty well. I would say almost down to the stock level after about 500 miles or so as the spring settles. The reason that you feel higher is the wider "wings" on the seat that cradle your arse. Until it settles, you simply slide forward a tad to the narrower portion of the seat and you can flatfoot. Once it settles in you won't notice that much of a difference.

And they do make them custom to you. My wife weighs about 120lbs less than me and her seat was much smaller in width than mine. Before I got my seat, I tried one on a friends Valkyrie who is about 6'8" and probably 375 lbs ( I am 6'0"/270lbs). His seat was way wide. I couldn't flatfoot on his worn in seat. Mine (built for me) was fine after 500 miles.

I have done 7 iron butts including 1500 in 24hrs and 2000 in 48 hrs and my arse was always enveloped in a fluffy cloud of happiness on my RDLs.
wingman05 and rvrguyd like this.
ptgb is offline  
 
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Member
 
Nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,772
I respectfully disagree with the disagreement...or maybe we can agree on the relativity of the issue (as most things are on this board, depends on the individual expectations)

If you are tall, then a minor increase does not seem that salient. However, if you are just toeing on the Wing OEM, I would say you are in trouble with an RDL.

But if you are into Iron-Buttest, the RDL is the preferable.

It may have something to do with the OEM seat size. Maybe the Wing seat is so large that they may be able to accommodate more.

I could not get RDL to make me a seat that I would flat foot with, could get them even to narrow down the neck of the seat on any of my BMW/s.
They claimed they guarantee comfort, but not reach.

Maybe they have changed their sales tune now...

They said, given my 185lbs and cute little arses, I would be looking at 1.5 to 2.5 inch in raise. Eventually, they advice me the RDL was not for me.

That's why I went to Seth Laam and I am glad I did. That dude can make a great seat.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
Nando is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Member
 
travellingtenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sun City Arizona
Posts: 699
Garage
I am 5'4" tall with a 27" inseam. My buddy has a RDL on his Goldwing and I have tried to sit on it. No way Jose. I contacted RDL and asked if they could build me a seat where I could get my toes on the ground and they suggested that I look for another seat manufacturer.
I love hearing riders say that riding a wing with short legs is just a matter of practice and skill. They have never been stuck in a traffic jam on an interstate and discovered that freeway turns are actually canted and almost impossible when you are on your toes. Pulling into a parking lot that has a lot of gravel in it is also interesting. In fact many stops are interesting when the group is led by a wing rider with three wheels.
I have an Ultimate seat on my wing now and I like the comfort but my seat is about an inch higher than the stock seat. I guess that you have to give up some reach to the ground to get some comfort for your butt.

Semper Fi
2001 Goldwing
2013 Ninja 300
1996 Pacific Coast
1994 Honda Magna
travellingtenor is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:05 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Barrycuda67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
I respectfully disagree with the disagreement...or maybe we can agree on the relativity of the issue (as most things are on this board, depends on the individual expectations)

If you are tall, then a minor increase does not seem that salient. However, if you are just toeing on the Wing OEM, I would say you are in trouble with an RDL.

But if you are into Iron-Buttest, the RDL is the preferable.

It may have something to do with the OEM seat size. Maybe the Wing seat is so large that they may be able to accommodate more.

I could not get RDL to make me a seat that I would flat foot with, could get them even to narrow down the neck of the seat on any of my BMW/s.
They claimed they guarantee comfort, but not reach.



Maybe they have changed their sales tune now...

They said, given my 185lbs and cute little arses, I would be looking at 1.5 to 2.5 inch in raise. Eventually, they advice me the RDL was not for me.

That's why I went to Seth Laam and I am glad I did. That dude can make a great seat.
The great thing about this motorcycle life, is we have options. Initially, new RDL will be stiffer and sit you a bit higher, once settled in and your in your sweet spot, it's no higher than OEM. I will agree that if you are already having difficulties and tip toeing on OEM, the RDL may be too much for one to handle. However, I disagree with people who are just set on one school of thought. Some believe you can't learn to safely ride the wing on gravel and sharp turns etc. if you're short and can't flat foot. On occasion I ride with another winger who is about 5'5 , no special KISS boots circa 1976, and he rides his wing safely and with zest all across the United States.

IBA# 60622
Prowler #1999
Barrycuda67 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome